Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Low Budget VPS - Need Help - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Low Budget VPS - Need Help

Comments

• MikeInMikeIn Member

@klikli

123systems.com they also have some 1 time pay upgrades comment!

Do anyone know their response quality and time. Or is there any 123systems.com representive in LET.

• MikeInMikeIn Member

Thank @HalfEatenPie I can wait upto1 week. :)

• klikliklikli Member

@MikeIn said: 123systems.com they also have some 1 time pay upgrades comment!

You will regret for that. If I were you, I would purchase a 128MB LEB from Hostigation or SecureDragon instead.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

I wholeheartedly recommend prometeus. Top notch eu provider with great connectivity.
    M

• HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited June 2012

@MikeIn well it depends on what you want (again). If we exclude 123Systems (I think @Klikli should explain that) you have BlueVM, Prometeus, and InceptionHosting.

This is all location based. From my experience, all three of those hosts are awesome (would recommend all three of them).

BlueVM: They're mostly US-based therefore if you're looking for a US-based VPS then they're the Go-To. They do use HyperVM when managing their machines (its a control panel software) so just letting you know (I think someone else can describe the difference between HyperVM and SolusVM but personally to me as long as the VPS is good it doesn't matter). I've talked to BlueVM support multiple times and they've been quite helpful and efficient at getting this done on time. Also, because you said they're out of stock (and you have a week) send them an e-mail/open a support ticket with them and ask them when they're planning on having more stock.

Prometeus: They're Europe/Italy based. If you're looking for a cheap Europe/Italy VPS then they're the way to go (hell I get great pings from Asia AND the US from them! but of course not as good as if it was a VPS in the states (I live in the states)). They use SolusVM control panel which is basically the industry standard (almost everyone uses SolusVM to manage the VPS). Their support is pretty good also and I think they're the one that's been in business longer than the other two (they aren't going anywhere anytime soon is what I mean).

InceptionHosting: So I don't actually have a VPS with InceptionHosting. But from what I"ve gathered their servers are located in the Netherlands or the USA and also have representatives on this forum (hell all three of those companies do). I do know that a decent amount of people on this forum recommends them so I'd take it their supports pretty good too. They use SolusVM and actually I can't find the plan you quoted (128MB XEN VPS in Phoenix €6/Quarter or 128MB XEN VPS in Netherlands @ €7/Quarter) so I can't really comment on that, although I might purchase one from them for that price.

Basically, like I said all those are pretty good companies who have representatives on this forum (if you'd like to chime in go for it), but right now the only biggest difference I can tell you is the location of your server. You'll probably want sometime closest to you so you have great connection to your website (I'm assuming that most of your website viewers are in your area or something like that).

I hope this helped!

Thanked by 1MikeIn
  • MikeInMikeIn Member
    edited June 2012

@Maounique @HalfEatenPie
    prometeus KVM or OpenVZ?

• So I just re-read what I wrote. Meh I could have used worse sentence structure and grammar. I need sleep -_-

edited June 2012

I'd recommend OpenVZ if you're totally new to this, but if you don't mind waiting to install the OS and if you know what you're doing to un-screw yourself when you suddenly do "rm -fr /" then do KVM.

In OpenVZ its easier to re-install operating systems if you goof up or you want to experiment with something in different OSes. Memory-wise if your machine runs out of memory it just stops right there. You won't be able to run anything until your memory goes back down.

KVM though gives you better memory management so the 128mb of RAM you get is YOURS. its harder to oversell KVMs and if you run out of memory the machine runs slower instead of coming to a complete standstill.

• klikliklikli Member

@HalfEatenPie said: explain tha

Reason #7099 and #7100

• MikeInMikeIn Member

@HalfEatenPie Thanks a lot for your Help. :) :) :)

• @klikli yup there it is. Thanks man!

Anyways @MikeIn I hope that answers your questions.

Thanked by 1MikeIn

If you go with prometeus, dont worry oversell. Go with OpenVZ, they have swap IIRC so you wont be stopped by running out of memory.
    M

Thanked by 1MikeIn
  • MikeInMikeIn Member

@Maounique @HalfEatenPie thinking to go with @prometeus KVM2 with a promo code It will cost me $5 extra yearly will it be fine or great or I have other options as well at $30/year.

• The decision is all yours.

If Prometeus fits all your needs then yes.

• MikeInMikeIn Member
    edited June 2012

How could I install CentOS 5 + kloxo. Is this option provided in SolusVM.

@HalfEatenPie @Maounique

edited June 2012

Just specify in your ticket at purchase you want centos 5 32 bit.
    Then do this:
    login as root at your ip using putty.

yum update

wget http://download.lxcenter.org/download/kloxo/production/kloxo-installer.sh

sh ./kloxo-installer.sh --type=master

At some point will ask you for a password, just put something up.
    When is done, go to:
    https://yo.u.rI.P:7777
    In no way leave it before configuring password.
    M

P.S. If the above look too complicated for you, I think you should first try some free offer till you manage to deal with it well enough.

Thanked by 1MikeIn
  • prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

I think openvz (or any other template based deployment BTW) is easy to start with because the template give the user a working box. For kloxo there are the hostinabox ready to run template you can reinstall over and over in no time....

edited June 2012

yeah, I think also ovz is the way, but he already decided for KVM (as I said, that is the hype these days and many ppl read a lot on how OVZ is oversold and KVM cant and whatnot).
    It is a shame really, OVZ is really faster and the default choice for every hosting platform. In your case, overselling shouldnt be the concern of the end-user, i think.
    M

• jcalebjcaleb Member

@MikeIn Personally, if you haven't searched so much about a particular provider. Just get a month-to-month subscription =)

edited June 2012

@MikeIn generally you can answer that question through Google and LxCenter's Wiki.

Now personally, I'd prefer to install Kloxo (or anything for that matter) myself without a template (e.g. I prefer not to use CentOS5 + HostinaBox ISO template).

http://wiki.lxcenter.org/Kloxo+Installation+Guide
    That'll give you clear directions on how to install Kloxo and if you need more help you can always ask the forums there.

If you wish to use a template (these are the ones you refer to in SolusVM) then go ahead. Depending on the hoster some have this template and others don't. If you get the KVM though you'll have to install it yourself (therefore follow the Kloxo Installation Guide above). Make sure when you install it you use CentOS5. I'd recommend 32-bit because you're going to be using a machine with less than 1GB of Ram and therefore would actually use up more ram than it'd save.

• jcalebjcaleb Member

just off topic a bit. LET is indeed a warm, specially to those asking for help. This is what I really like about this community.

Thanked by 1klikli
    edited June 2012

@jcaleb I received a ton of help from a lot of the people here, so although I can't really return the favor to those guys (because you know... they know like 100x more than me) I can still help out people who were in the same situation as myself when I started.

Atleast that's why I try to go out of my way to help peeps :P

Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • Could do free hosting, even shared hosting wont even cover it at $2/month.

Get yourself a really cheap LEB for a year when they some available, for now, sign up to 000webhost.com :]

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@HalfEatenPie said: Atleast that's why I try to go out of my way to help peeps :P

You also have all those HalfEatenPie's to offer up

• MikeInMikeIn Member

Thanks a lot to all of you specially to @HalfEatenPie and @Maounique for their constant help in every way. Thanks a lot u guys rocks :)

• Oh, @Mikeln there's a free VPS company somewhere, was it Host1Free? They might satisfy somewhat, your needs.

• @miTgiB those are my pies :P I don't share them.

• MikeInMikeIn Member

@eastonch So how much time they take to approve one..
    I have heard about before also at their FB page.

• jcalebjcaleb Member

@eastonch said: there's a free VPS company somewhere, was it Host1Free?

it's hard to trust free for production use. i mean, even if it's only a blog.

• @MikeIn if what you do with that server is very important to you, then I'd suggest not going with the free service. I mean you can register one and try it out (for me it took me about a 2 - 3 days to get my order) or use it as a test-bed but I wouldn't put production worthy stuff on it.