Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Low Budget VPS - Need Help
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Low Budget VPS - Need Help

MikeInMikeIn Member
edited June 2012 in Help

Hi all LET and LEB lovers I am posting in LET for the first time.

I need some help:-

I just want to create a small website (Blog Type) and for the same I need a VPS to host my website, as I do not wants to go with a Shared Web hosting options. Also so that I could host upto 5 websites if needed.

VPS config(Min.) I req. :-
1 Ghz of CPU.
256 MB RAM (Dedicated) or more :)
-20 GB HDD space or more.- Looks like 10GB would be fine (Edited 19/6/2012)
Anything above or between 300-500 GB bandwidth will be enough.

Biggest of all a very very Tight budget of upto 25$/ Year (Max.) or $2/ Month.

OpenVZ would be OK! ??

All VPS under this tight budget are welcomed. Hope to rec. many Replies.

I need to Install a Website Control Panel so would Kloxo be OK (as Its slightly easy to understand as It looks from its interface and also need less resources) Or should I go with some other one (Not Paid ones :( )
"any how I only need a Control Panel for putting my website and to check mails"

I have not used any VPS till date so no xp. at all.
Neither I am having a proper xp. with Linux (Though need a Linux VPS).

Comments

• I seriously doubt that this will work, better look into shared hosting.

• 96mb96mb Member

You will get an absolutely unmanaged box (i.e., no one will teach you how to do installations/configurations) and probably only 9-5 ticket replies, is that what you want?

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/2863/host1free-free-vps-anyone-heard-about-this/p1
    Look at that thread. Tho it is below your treshold, I can confirm one blog site with medium traffic can be run from it, kloxo included.
    Once you learn how to do it, you can get a payd one and will have a lot more experience to choose knowing exactly what you need.
    M

• jcalebjcaleb Member
    edited June 2012

use unmanaged vps if you have tons of time and you are interested in learning. otherwise, look for other options.

• Since you're asking, maybe you could try :

• BuyVM
    • Iperweb/Prometeus
    • SecureDragon

All of them have OpenVZ with 256MB

• 96mb96mb Member

@ErawanArifNugroho And none of them within OP's budget

• djvdorpdjvdorp Member
    edited June 2012

with OP's max he probably isnt gonna find that.
    and BuyVM's 128mb plan has 256 burst ;)

• MikeInMikeIn Member

Thanks all for your replies. :)

@96mb I came to see your 123 system review at your site ..
    http://www.96mb.com/96mb-low-end-vps-review-part-49-123-systems-192mb-yearly/

will it be ok!

• jcalebjcaleb Member

@MikeIn try KVM1 of iperweb. it's 128mb KVM, but i think that's much better than 256mb ovz. or not.

• MikeInMikeIn Member

@jcaleb ya it would be better. :)

• 96mb96mb Member

@MikeIn Yes, that is probably the cheapest you can find for 192MB, but the hard drive is only 10GB though, not sure if it is good enough for you.
    Iperweb is definitely better and their 128MB will fit your budget, but you will need to do quite a bit of optimization to squeeze everything within 128MB. Note that you will need to request for a temp raise in your memory during the installation of CentOS as well.

• jcalebjcaleb Member

theres alot of leb script out there. perhaps consider no web control panel?

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@MikeIn said: will it be ok!

I made the mistake of recommending 123systems once (a while ago, to poor @KuJoe before SD existed). Never again. I had several VPSes there and the experience was wildly inconsistent between them. And if one ever broke, it was days to get any kind of support response. The network was also flakey.

I find that on WHT, if someone posts something critical of 123 and 123 is in the right, Andrew is there in seconds to post a factual rebuttal. If 123 is in the wrong, they never reply to the thread. That's just lame - I have a lot more respect for providers who say "yeah, we screwed up".

To the OP...you could get a decent VPS for $15/year from BuyVM, etc. but you won't get 20GB of disk. Do you really need that much or just a guess?

Ultimately, you may be happier on shared hosting if you're saying you need a panel. The panel takes resources tiny boxes can't afford. Running a VPS means administering the OS, patching it, security, etc.

For mail, you could easily put your email on Google Apps (free) instead of running your own mail server.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@raindog308 said: Ultimately, you may be happier on shared hosting if you're saying you need a panel. The panel takes resources tiny boxes can't afford. Running a VPS means administering the OS, patching it, security, etc.

it may work, but with tweaks.

Thanked by 1raindog308

kloxo works in a 128 mb machine. You need the swap for yum and instalation, but afterwards, in 64 ram can run idle.
    Of course, with tweaks, but with apache, so further tweaks are possible.
    A 1 blog site with 3-5 visitors at a time stays below 128 MB.
    M

• MikeInMikeIn Member

Thanks again to everyone.

I feel the need first to inc. my budget.
    Or to go onn with a OpenVZ Box.

Present Preference:-
    Kloxo CP,
    Wordpress (eats a lot of Resources)

I don't think that the storage req. for my website would be more than 2GB for upcomming 1 year, which will inc. everything of it.

Has anyone used any box under $25/year or similar..
    if its good please recommend. :)

Is there any chance that any VPS co. will provide any custom plan under this tight budget. ** 10/100** ;)

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@MikeIn said: Wordpress (eats a lot of Resources)

not a lot, I got it with a @BlueVM , with a deal of $10 a year, and works good.

I have one of bluevm's specials. I think is 1.15 a month or so, 192 ram or similar.
    If you are interested maybe Can transfer it to you if you dont find anything around that. Bought for someone else but i see it is not used.
    M

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep
    edited June 2012

http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/2959/lfcvps-35-off-2x-ram-2x-bandwidth-11-free-backups/p1

If you can go 2.30 over your budget and get used to 10 gb disk

• I'd go with either..

• BuyVM
    • KillerIO (cheap SSD-based, UK VPS)
    • SecureDragon (although never had any experience, heard good things)
  • Buyvm is epic. And im also pretty sure @kujoe can help you out

• TaylorTaylor Member

@AH-Dominic Did you read his budget?

Killerio very expensive option $7 monthly thats way to much for him.

SD only half the ram he needs for the price

Buyvm has no stock

Bet best op is going a tiny bit over cut disk down to 10 and go with lfcbps

• AsadAsad Member
    edited June 2012

BuyVM still have 512mb's in stock last time I checked. Not bad for 5.95/month, the extra ram couldn't hurt.

• klikliklikli Member

@MikeIn said: Biggest of all a very very Tight budget of upto 25$/ Year (Max.) or $2/ Month.

People, read the thread.

Thanked by 2zhuanyi HalfEatenPie
  • MikeInMikeIn Member

Ok! SO any thing under my req. Upto. 30/year or 15/half yearly.
    BuyVM is based on hyperVM, is it going to be fine for a newbe.

• MikeInMikeIn Member
    edited June 2012

Ok! SO any thing under my req. Upto. 30/year or 15/half yearly.
    BlueVM is based on hyperVM, is it going to be fine for a newbe.

@Maounique

• HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited June 2012

@MikeIn I just want to create a small website (Blog Type) and for the same I need a VPS to host my website, as I do not wants to go with a Shared Web hosting options. Also so that I could host upto 5 websites if needed.

http://www.lowendbox.com/blog/ipxcore-1-61-128mb-openvz-vps-in-phoenix/

I know its 128mb when you're looking for a 256mb box, but hear me out.

Read this: http://www.lowendbox.com/blog/wordpress-cheap-vps-lowendscript/
    and this: http://www.lowendbox.com/blog/yes-you-can-run-18-static-sites-on-a-64mb-link-1-vps/

Its all possible with even one of the lowest end boxes. You want to install Kloxo, but if its only five sites, I'd suggest following the above articles (you'd waste a ton of resources on Kloxo).

Now with the price you gave us, I can't really say you can get a 256mb box (If you do though let me know!). I know @BlueVM had a sale a month or so back for their anniversary by selling their 256mb box for 2 dollars a month, but they're no longer doing that. If you have time, I'd suggest you wait until a sale like that comes up (I hear @CVPS_Chris is having a sale soon, maybe he might have a plan that fits your needs?).

I hope this answers all your questions.

huh ?

I do believe the number of sites doesnt really matter, what is important is the visitors as long as there is disk space.
    128 MB should suffice for kloxo+a few visitors. I am not sure but I think it might work without tweaks for lighttpd, but need some burst/swap.
    M

• MikeInMikeIn Member
    edited June 2012

@Maounique @HalfEatenPie @jcaleb @96mb
    So should I go with 123systems.com - Linux-192-Yearly @ $15/year.

or BlueVM (Out of stock)

or https://www.prometeus.net/billing/cart.php?gid=7 - KVM1 @$14/year

or InceptionHosting 128MB XEN VPS in Phoenix €6/Quarter or 128MB XEN VPS in Netherlands @ €7/Quarter

Upto 10 users at a time visiting my website.

• klikliklikli Member

@MikeIn said: 123systems.com

Watch out!