Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Server + Foot == pain
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Server + Foot == pain

bijan588bijan588 Member
edited June 2012 in General

I smashed my foot with a very very old P3 4u server

Only look if you can handle blood

http://gyazo.com/aa7fe870cd09e9f8edd54bea1805a977

Comments

• Oh god.

Thanked by 1Ellimist
  • maelzxmaelzx Member

i feel u! :)

had same experience, though with motorcycle.... not server.

• I just bandaged it, should I go to the expensive hospital?

• BluBoyBluBoy Member

I think your equation is wrong... Perhaps better represented with:

(server + gravity) / foot == pain
    Which can be expanded to "gravity added to server over foot == pain"

Either way, I hope you have learnt your lesson about keeping P3 servers! :)

• jcalebjcaleb Member

yes. let them clean it. and have you on anti-biotics. just to be safe.

• BluBoyBluBoy Member

@bijan588 said: I just bandaged it, should I go to the expensive hospital?

What country?

• @bijan588 said: I just bandaged it, should I go to the expensive hospital?

Up to you, personally I wouldn't, i'd just try and keep it clean, put rubbing alcohol on it asap or soap and water. Change bandage at least once a day and see if it gets better, if not then you probably should go to the emergency room. But then again seeing as metal is what cut it, you may need a tetanus shot, though I believe I only read of people getting that from rusty metal(like stepping on nails), but it maybe any metal. Tetanus is no joke, gives you lockjaw, excruciating pain and ultimately death.

• @BluBoy said: Either way, I hope you have learnt your lesson about keeping P3 servers! :)

I was removing it... permanently

@BluBoy said: What country?

US and A,

• NateN34NateN34 Member
    edited June 2012

Eh, looks bad, but should be fine.

Now if the bottom of your toe is cut, then you have issues. You can get serious infections, if it is on the bottom of your toe.

• Go to hospital if it actually feels broken (or your local Doctor) and get X-Rays.

I realize the USA isn't the best with health care due to costs, insurance and all that.

That said, I know some one who had an injury WAY less "severe" than that. Turned out a blood clot formed and they would have lost their foot and or died. Ended up needing surgery.

That said, I wouldn't hold it against you if you put it in the "She'll be right" category.

• taiprestaipres Member
    edited June 2012

If you go to the emergency room they have to take you I believe, even with no insurance. Probably be a thousand dollar bill at least though.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Walk it off, nancy!

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

From watching ER, i got the impression that only some hospitals do it for free, some you still need insurance to get treated.

from the photo it looks like alot of blood and perhaps a broken toe.
    clean it up, see if you can wiggle your toes.
    where I live they wont do much even if its a broken toe. see to keep the wounds clean at all times and dont wear a sock or shoe, or atleast a shoe with open toes. that way you wont apply pressure to the wound and your foot wont be "locked in"

If the wound doesnt get better in he next day or two, or if the color changes into a darker shade (not the regular bruises color) then I would go no matter the cost. to loose a foot ... not for me ...

• I went to the ER.

I explained to the doc what happened, and he paid it for me, not even joking.

They took an X-ray and it turns out that it is broken.

• Now you need to drink more milk to stop it breaking when it happens again next time and wear steel cap boots.

• Do us a favor. Once that foot of yours heal, kick the PIII server in the nuts for us.

• @Cosmicgate, i agree. LOL.

@bijan588, nice little cut. I believe anyone that has done any DC work, have some horror stories of some of the stupid little shit that happens to us.

• bijan588bijan588 Member
    edited June 2012

Yeah, the Datacenter guys helped too, they picked up the server for me and got bandages n shits

• KairusKairus Member
    edited June 2012

@SonicVPS said: Now you need to drink more milk to stop it breaking when it happens again next time and wear steel cap boots.

Steel toed boots are never a bad idea! Definitely worth getting some. I've had some close calls almost dropping computers, and HSF's on my feet (aftermarket ones).

• JacobJacob Member

4U on your feet, Ouch!

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

You will lose your hum... Nail I hope is the right word. Then you must be careful so it wont grow badly. Happened to me when I was a student and playing handball, hit a nail from the floor and i had a badly grown nail for many yaers tho I had regular surgery for it, kept growing wrong. And the worse is that in the bus ppl were stepping exactly on that toe :(
    M

• That's the reason why there are shoes with steel toe's :P

In some situations might do more harm than good. I mean, dropping something so heavy might bend the steel and keep your toe squashed, imagine running to find a wrench or something to cut yourself loose...
    M

Thanked by 1djvdorp
  • AdamAdam Member

@Maounique said: In some situations might do more harm than good. I mean, dropping something so heavy might bend the steel and keep your toe squashed, imagine running to find a wrench or something to cut yourself loose...

M

If something is that heavy to bend the steel, then it's better than the alternative (losing all your toes).

• RobertRobert Member

When you make health care a business then you're doomed.

Yep, you can say what you like about the NHS in the UK, but I wouldn't change it for the world.

edited June 2012

The toe can be squashed to a point without being severed, depending on what you wear at the time, you can pull it fast and escape big injury. If the steel bends as expected, the front remains up, just the rear goes down, will likely make it very hard to pull the toe from that grip and also increase the risk of cutting it.
    My uncle was a doctor and read about some trials about steel enforced boots for workers on marine oil rigs. They went from plate to mesh and abandoned the idea altogether after more tests. He told me that when I was a teen and that kind of boots were extremely popular.
    M

• JohnGJohnG Member

Glad you got some professional attention.

The funniest part of all this is you coming to a VPS Internet forum for medical advice :-)

• jcalebjcaleb Member
    edited June 2012

But there is a series/movie "Densha Otoko" where a nerd consults a forum on how to make his moves on a very beautiful girl.

• RobertRobert Member

But there is a series/movie "Densha Otoko" where a nerd consults a forum on how to make his moves on a very beautiful girl.

Yeah, the movie was released under the name 'Train Man' if I remember correctly.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@liam said: Lives are priceless.

Ride public transportation for a week and you might not think so.