Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What's up with DelimiterVPS - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What's up with DelimiterVPS

Comments

• DBADBA Member

Email ages very quickly so isn't the best for unexpected events. It also is not always trivial to find out which customers are affected by a given outage. As well out of band communications channels have proven useful for some outages - a tech can do an update from their cellphone when the entire datacenter is in the dark for example.

For cheap servers or VPS it is usually easier to monitor them yourself and then when there is a problem check the provider's status pages/twitter/etc to see if the problem is acknowledged and being worked on. Only check email on occasion for notification of upcoming planned downtime.

• @aFriend - the updates are placed on Delimiter's Network issues page as they get updates.

@Cltcam - Delimiter posts its issues to its network issues page and usually to Twitter as well. This was not a major incident, it was 64 servers down in one rack, the actual number of customers affected was 40-45 customers. If it was a major attack or a facility wide issue then they would have emailed customers to notify them.

• AlexanderMAlexanderM Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@MarkTurner said:
    aFriend - the updates are placed on Delimiter's Network issues page as they get updates.

Cltcam - Delimiter posts its issues to its network issues page and usually to Twitter as well. This was not a major incident, it was 64 servers down in one rack, the actual number of customers affected was 40-45 customers. If it was a major attack or a facility wide issue then they would have emailed customers to notify them.

40 Customers servers down is not an important / emergency issue? Think Steve needs to sort his priorities,

• edanedan Member

They are not scam company, I have 3 boxes with them, 2 dual x5150 and 1 atom 230 and so far so good. This downtime is normal and already stated on their network status page here https://clients.delimitervps.com/networkissues.php?view=open

• Same here, support was very good on this one. For $16.67/month (annual plan) you can't beat it.

Thanked by 1MarkTurner
  • I was fairly confident that support would have sorted this out eventually but a bit more communication would have been appreciated.
    Firstly, I always check the network outages page to determine if any outages is related to my server before submitting a ticket.

In this case, I saw the problem was related with " Row E Rack 17" - this doesn't help me because, I didn't know that my server was located in that physical location. Nor was there anything tagged in my CP to indicate issues with my specific server.

I assumed the problem was related to my server because I had monitoring set up on a separate server which collaborated with the downtimes mentioned in the outage report.

The thing I'd want to know the most is an ETA on a fix in the first instance - is it going to be minutes? or hours? If it's hours like last time then that'll help me decide to start switching DNS to fallback somewhere else.

Overall, the value for service is certainly imo worth it for my intended use.

Thanked by 1MarkTurner
  • ReeRee Member

Down again with nothing new on the network issues page. Wonder if it's just our 64 blades again, or something new this time?

• My server is not affected this time.

• ReeRee Member

Hard reboot got it back, guess I was the only lucky one this time :)

• hausarzthausarzt Member
    edited August 2014

It's Sunday and of course the servers are not reachable.

• Delimiter VPS @DelimiterVPS · 45m
    Atlanta - temperature issues, please follow network issue page for updates

https://twitter.com/delimitervps

• Yeah, unfortunately their Cloudflared backend with the network issue page seems to reside in Atlanta as well. Geniuses.

• hausarzt said: Yeah, unfortunately their Cloudflared backend with the network issue page seems to reside in Atlanta as well. Geniuses.

You sure?

loading fine for me.

• The client area was down as well according to CF, it's up now.

• reffreff Member

Nope, client area down, so is network issues page, so is my box...

• Cannot open ILO or reboot from client area

• Downtime coincided with the exact same time as the scheduled downtime of my backup server as well.

Anyhow, hopefully we should be back up soon :
    "14:21 GMT+0: Waiting for all clear "

Currently unable to access the server power management page of the CP; hope our servers get rebooted automatically when they get the all clear.

• ReeRee Member

I was back 30mins ago, maybe lucky to be first to be powered on this time

• mine was up now

• MarkTurnerMarkTurner Member
    edited August 2014

@hausarzt - Delimitervps.com / client portal / network issues page is all hosted in Toronto. The reason there was a 2.5 minute (rounded to 3 minute outage) was the surge of traffic coming at the network issues page. We had just invalidated the page cache due to the update and we ended up with all of the page requests hitting the webserver directly which choked it up. This is why Delimiter also posts issues to Twitter.

Today was one of those nightmare situations, we lost about 40% of our cooling capacity due to a chilled water issue. We could have probably ridden through it without an outage, but running equipment at 34C+ for more than a short period isn't a good plan and also places disks at higher risk of failure. We took the position to shutdown Rows D11-20, E11-20 and F11-20 to reduce the heat; anyone outside of these rows would have received temperature alarms but not sufficiently high to cause shutdown.

Thanked by 1hausarzt
  • I'm glad I took VPS for one month before committing annually... My 2 cores were off an Intel Atom boggle ($10/mo, or I think it was $55/yearly)

• are they still having issues?

• @Zarvic said:
    are they still having issues?

Mine was running perfectly since last outage

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@zevus said:
    I'm glad I took VPS for one month before committing annually... My 2 cores were off an Intel Atom boggle ($10/mo, or I think it was $55/yearly)

VPS? It was a dedi

• zevuszevus Member
    edited August 2014

haha, no, it was not a dedicated server

well, w/ delimiter, I guess it could have been marketed as a "dedicated server" with 2 cores set to openvz on the sly

one of those 8 core atoms, so it'd be less noticeable

• @Zevus - are you crazy? The only Atom servers that Delimiter has are dedicated servers. There is no VPS's on Atom.

• Last month, they suspended my Atom dedi because I used more than 2TB of bandwidth. It's funny that their data traffic report is not work for a long time.
    5 days ago, I opened ticket to ask how to know the bandwidth I used but nobody answer me.

• Anyone having problem with Delimiter in Atlanta right now ?

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Yup, me. Damn, I had 100% uptime until now, when I migrated my main process to that dedi :(