Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2GB KVM @ $7/mo ; JingLing/HitLeap Optimized VPS: $5/mo ; 2 Locations ; + Yearly Plans
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

2GB KVM @ $7/mo ; JingLing/HitLeap Optimized VPS: $5/mo ; 2 Locations ; + Yearly Plans

GoodHostingGoodHosting Member
edited July 2014 in Offers

imageGreetings LowEndTalk

We will continue to offer our Enterprise OpenNebula Cloud KVM instances at great pricing, as well as "launch"ing our specialized brands and services to meet market niches. We are currently featuring our JingLing/HitLeap optimized Windows plans.

imageWhat's included in our plans?

OS Selection

We have recently completely re-vamped our selection of media available from our Enterprise OpenNebula Cloud KVM instances, please consider the following list of media that is available in ISO format, as well as templates:

[Windows] Server 2012 R2 [1]

[Windows] Server 2008 R2 [1]

[Windows] Server 2003 (R2) [1]

[Linux] CentOS 7 64bit Only

[Linux] CentOS 6 32bit or 64bit

[Linux] CentOS 5 32bit or 64bit

[Linux] Debian 7 32bit or 64bit

[Linux] Fedora 20 32bit or 64bit

[Linux] Ubuntu 14.04 32bit or 64bit

[Linux] Ubuntu 12.04 32bit or 64bit

[Linux] Ubuntu 10.04 32bit or 64bit

[Other] ArchLinux 2014-06-01 Dual

[Other] Gentoo Latest Snapshot

[Other] JingLing/HitLeap Optimized Server 2003

More Operating Systems or ISO media available upon request.

imageLocations Available

[ BHS-1 ] Beauharnois, QC, Canada

TEST IP: 192.99.193.1

[ FOX-1 ] Scranton, PA, USA

TEST IP: 107.182.19.193

(Other locations coming soon)

imageThe GoodHosting Advantage

Straight-forward pro-rata billing

All services recur on the 7th, meaning that an account with multiple services need only pay one invoice a month. You can also gain discounts on all our standard pricing when you pre-purchase either Quarterly, Semiannually or Annually.

Upgrade or downgrade at any time!

You can upgrade or downgrade your service at any time, with any portion of the resource (CPU, RAM, HDD, IPs, etcetera.) Your upgrade will be processed by our dedicated support staff at any time once the invoice has been paid, and you will only pay for the pro-rated difference.

Cancel or order at any time!

You can cancel your order at any point, even during a period; and are eligible to receive a refund or a portion of the period. Please make sure to open a Support Ticket after lodging the cancellation or downgrade ticket to get your pro-rata refund.

imageFeatured KVM Plans

(KVM) GoodHosting Ci7

CPU: 2 Cores (200 Units)
Memory: 2048 MB Dedicated Error Correcting
Storage: 40 GB RAM-Cached RAID10-Backed [2]
Bandwidth: Unmetered fair-use (1Gbps port)
IPs: 1 Standard, 2 with Justification

Use Voucher: LETAUG2014

Your Cost: $7.00/mo
(see pro-rata feature)

(KVM) GoodHosting Ci6

CPU: 2 Cores (150 Units)
Memory: 1536 MB Dedicated Error Correcting
Storage: 30 GB RAM-Cached RAID10-Backed [2]

Your Cost: $5.25/mo
(see pro-rata feature)

(KVM) GoodHosting Ci5

CPU: 1 Cores (100 Units)
Memory: 1024 MB Dedicated Error Correcting
Storage: 20 GB RAM-Cached RAID10-Backed [2]

Your Cost: $3.50/mo
(see pro-rata feature)

(KVM) JingLing/HitLeap Optimized

CPU: Shared CPU Cores (2)
Memory: Starting at 512MB OS-Usable RAM
Storage: Tiered IOPS-Optimized Hard Storage w/ Volatile Temporary Storage (for JingLing Working Data)
IPs: 1 SEO-class IPv4 Address

Can't be beat!

Your Cost: $5.00/mo (or $3.75 if paid yearly)
(not pro-rated)

(KVM) JingLing/HitLeap Optimized

CPU: Shared CPU Cores (2)
Memory: Starting at 512MB OS-Usable RAM
Storage: Tiered IOPS-Optimized Hard Storage w/ Volatile Temporary Storage (for JingLing Working Data)
IPs: 1 SEO-class IPv4 Address

Can't be beat!

Your Cost: $45.00/year (25% OFF)
(not pro-rated)

Discount on other plans listed on our site is available upon request.

As part of our commitment to transparency, here's who we really are:

GoodHosting.co is owned by Albino Geek Services Ltd.
Owned and Operating out of Beautiful British Columbia
Incorporated April 27, 2012 01:39 PM Pacific Time
BUSINESS NUMBER: 815062880BC0001
INCORPORATION NUMBER: BC0939191

We challenge other providers to show this level of legitimacy as a bare minimum.

[1] We provide Windows Server licensing through OVH at this time. You can either purchase a Windows Server Licensing in addition to your initial order, or bring your own license. Students and developers may be able to obtain free or inexpensive licenses from their network, or through association or registration with systems such as DreamSpark.

[2] Storage is backed by a Hardware RAID10 using LSI MegaRAID 9271 cards, with CacheVault. We use ultra-fast RAM-Caching techniques to ensure that your regular I/O operations are blazing fast [much faster than SSDs !!] We have recently changed our policy on disk usage. The "40GB" as stated in the package is now additional space to the size of the OS drive, whereas before it was the total space [including OS.]

Please note that deployments are handled manually, your VPS could take up to one hour to be initially provisioned, from which point; you can use the provided SunStone management panel to re-create your VPS at any time, even change your OS or resources completely. This manual deployment system is in place to protect both our company / existing customers, as well as you (the future customer) from abuse and fraud.

Comments

• The Chinese translation is not native at all...

• @nullnull said:
    The Chinese translation is not native at all...

Hello. This is unfortunate, please feel free to mention a reliable source of human translation if you have one. It is incredibly difficult to find a means of proving a translation without knowing the language myself.

• By reading this post I feel that I am reading a user manual of a China Phone.

• Agreed, that Chinese is so not Chinese........... even to a non-China person.

• WorldWorld Veteran

Wow Chinese..

• @serverboss said:
    By reading this post I feel that I am reading a user manual of a China Phone.

@wcypierre said:
    Agreed, that Chinese is so not Chinese........... even to a non-China person.

I do apologize, the same thing extends to you: please feel free to mention a reliable source of human translation if you have one. It is incredibly difficult to find a means of proving a translation without knowing the language myself.

• @GoodHosting said:
    I do apologize, the same thing extends to you: please feel free to mention a reliable source of human translation if you have one. It is incredibly difficult to find a means of proving a translation without knowing the language myself.

I don't really know of anyone for that task, and I can say that my Malaysian Chinese is definitely not suitable for China people as the wordings that we use are totally different.

Another point to note is that please use "Simplified" Chinese in the posts as not every Chinese knows how to read "Traditional" Chinese, which I've spotted a few just now(I know but not all of the younger generations knows about it).

• @wcypierre said:

Thank you. I was not aware that the Malaysian form took a different written form than the mainland form. I was only aware of the verbal difference, and will take note of this for the future. Also thank you for the difference here and explanation for the usage of "Simplified".

• wcypierre said: Another point to note is that please use "Simplified" Chinese in the posts as not every Chinese knows how to read "Traditional" Chinese, which I've spotted a few just now(I know but not all of the younger generations knows about it).

And also not every Chinese knows how to read Simplified Chinese =) A lot of Chinese learn Traditional.

• TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited July 2014

said: [1] At this time, we do not provide licensing for Microsoft Windows Server products. You are free to use the Evaluation license provided with the initial installation, which is valid for 180 days and subject to terms Microsoft places on the legitimate use thereof. Students and developers may be able to obtain free or inexpensive licenses from their network, or through association or registration with systems such as DreamSpark.

I am curious, is this even legal? Would this not break Microsoft's EULA and you suggesting customers do so also put customer in a situation where they are also breaking the EULA? I believe the only legal way to offer a Microsoft products on a virtual platform is by having an SPLA license?

Please feel free to clarify if I am wrong on this.

Cheers!

• @concerto49 said:

taobao, sina, qq, 360 all uses Simplified Chinese though. It would really depend on how or whom did you learnt your Chinese from, non-Chinese who didn't took formal Chinese education usually will somewhat take the Traditional route which I don't really understand why. Many of the younger generations typically learn Simplified Chinese nowadays.

Regardless, let's stop and take this elsewhere, shall we?

• @TheLinuxBug said:

It is up to the customer to bring their own license (paid or otherwise, i.e.: DreamSpeark.)
    This is how many providers here on LowEndTalk offer Windows as an option. We offer the official ISO media that Microsoft offers, and it is up to the client to activate their VPS within 10 days as set out by the Operating System's software protection.

• SadySady Member

Sent you a PM :)

• wychwych Member

@GoodHosting said:
    This is how many providers here on LowEndTalk offer Windows as an option. We offer the official ISO media that Microsoft offers, and it is up to the client to activate their VPS within 10 days as set out by the Operating System's software protection.

Not all do, some actually pay the MS licence costs for the node then they can be ran in containers.

• MCHPhilMCHPhil Member
    edited July 2014

He is saying the eval license cannot be used in production environment. So using a trial license is not legal or valid way to provide windows to clients. Just because a lot of people do, doesn't make it right. Please look into microsoft eula. Being audited by M$ and charged $xxxK per invalid license or etc, was it worth it for $6 a month?

You, technically, should not even be providing templates based upon a trial license.

Thanked by 1TheLinuxBug
  • @wych said:
    Not all do, some actually pay the MS licence costs for the node then they can be ran in containers.

This is something we have considered doing, but we are not able to become an SPLA partner here in Canada due to the sheer number of partners already. We were advised to go through an existing SPLA partner whom was specifically licensed for resale; and it would only make sense to do on machines that run ONLY Windows instances; whereas Windows is a very small percentage of our customer base.

• wychwych Member
    edited July 2014

@GoodHosting said:
    whereas Windows is a very small percentage of our customer base.

Sounds about right. @MCHPhil got what I meant.

• GoodHostingGoodHosting Member
    edited July 2014

@MCHPhil said:
    He is saying the eval license cannot be used in production environment. So using a trial license is not legal or valid way to provide windows to clients. Just because a lot of people do, doesn't make it right. Please look into microsoft eula. Being audited by M$ and charged $xxxK per invalid license or etc, was it worth it for $6 a month?

You, technically, should not even be providing templates based upon a trial license.

We do not provide templates based on Windows Server in the case of licensing restrictions. Windows Server 2008 and Windows Server 2012 is only available as an ISO media, the ISO media as provided by Microsoft which requires a License Key to be input within 10 days of installing the Operating System.

A good example would be: https://www.ubiquityhosting.com/cloud/order/2 Note how even providers outside of LET use the "Evaluation" as an option that customers can select.

• @GoodHosting said:
    A good example would be: https://www.ubiquityhosting.com/cloud/order/2 Note how even providers outside of LET use the "Evaluation" as an option that customers can select.

I don't think you understand, I'll say again. Just because a lot of people do, doesn't make it right. Or in this case, legal. Please read the eula and you will understand, I have.

Thanked by 1TheLinuxBug
    edited July 2014

@MCHPhil said:
    I don't think you understand, I'll say again. Just because a lot of people do, doesn't make it right. Or in this case, legal. Please read the eula and you will understand, I have.

Hello @MCHPhil,

We have read the Microsoft EULA in regards to this software (the very same EULA shown during the OS installation, which we do not carry out (we leave this installation for the customer, and they must accept the EULA before proceeding with the automated installation.) We are aware of both the state of their EULA as well as the market standard on handling this.)

Should someone require licensing, they are able to purchase this as an addon for their order during registration. We are not going against the EULA in this, that if they do not choose to purchase a license through us (through OVH), then they are stating they already have a license they are bringing to us.

The OP has been reworded.

• said: You are free to use the Evaluation license provided with the initial installation, which is valid for 180 days and subject to terms Microsoft places on the legitimate use thereof.

I guess I do not understand then. :/ No matter. Take it or leave it sir.

• @MCHPhil said:

Windows Server 2003 R2 did not offer any Evaluation period (as far as I know.) [License required in installer.]

Windows Server 2008 R2 when "Activated" with no license key input will default to requesting a 180 day evaluation license from Microsoft's Key Management Servers. This is a function of the base Operating System. [Default: Unlicensed]

Windows Server 2012 R2 will "Activate" itself into an evaluation license from the moment it is installed, where a user must manually de-activate; then enter a license key to properly activate their license. [Default: Eval]

• comXyzcomXyz Member

I think you should contact Microsoft directly @GoodHosting.

I see some providers have Windows 2012 R2 ISO that I need to enter my license key to install. There is no evaluation option with this ISO.

• @c1bl said:
    I think you should contact Microsoft directly GoodHosting.

I see some providers have Windows 2012 R2 ISO that I need to enter my license key to install. There is no evaluation option with this ISO.

Sources such as http://care.dlservice.microsoft.com/dl/download/6/D/A/6DAB58BA-F939-451D-9101-7DE07DC09C03/9200.16384.WIN8_RTM.120725-1247_X64FRE_SERVER_EVAL_EN-US-HRM_SSS_X64FREE_EN-US_DV5.ISO care of Microsoft.

• The problem here is that what your doing is contributing to others using illegal licenses on your servers. I think what @MCHPhil is trying to warn you of is the following:

If I am a customer and I choose to install with your 2008 R2 ISO and then used a hacked license or bypass activation in some manner on the server, just because you didn't install it and license it that way does NOT make you any less liable to Microsoft if they do audit you. You can not place blame for this on your customer as you own the hardware the license is being used on.

Feel free to continue to allow customers the possibility of abusing your services and putting you in a bad legal position, but I would be advised that the person who will have to deal with Microsoft if they decide to audit your server will be you, not your customer. May want to think if you really trust all of your customers to really do the right thing.

Cheers!

edited July 2014

@TheLinuxBug said:
    The problem here is that what your doing is contributing to others using illegal licenses on your servers. I think what MCHPhil is trying to warn you of is the following:

If I am a customer and I choose to install with your 2008 R2 ISO and then used a hacked license or bypass activation in some manner on the server, just because you didn't install it and license it that way does NOT make you any less liable to Microsoft if they do audit you. You can not place blame for this on your customer as you own the hardware the license is being used on.

Feel free to continue to allow customers the possibility of abusing your services and putting you in a bad legal position, but I would be advised that the person who will have to deal with Microsoft if they decide to audit your server will be you, not your customer. May want to think if you really trust all of your customers to really do the right thing.

Cheers!

Hello @TheLinuxBug,

Thank you for your criticism in this case, as it is good to have in place. The caveat in this case is that regardless of if we provide example templates or ISO media for Windows Server in our images repository or not, we allow our users to upload (from an HTTP, FTP, or their computer) any ISO media or template they wish.

With the abundance of direct links from Microsoft's website for evaluation media, we are not doing anything other than preventing there being 25 copies of the same ISO on the server, given multiple people uploading the same ISO media.

We do not condone software piracy, the user is expected to bring their own license via DreamSpark or through their institution, to have otherwise purchased a license, or to purchase a license through us.

We have received only one notice in the past to have servers with licensing infringements removed, and we forwarded the notice on to the customers as we were required. We helped these customers obtain legitimate licenses through DreamSpeark and/or their institutes, as in all but one case the issue was simply that Windows was never activated.

Most of our customers using Windows (other than JingLing/HitLeap) bring their own license from the DreamSpark foundation and use their servers for educational reasons.

Had we not provided a means for users to upload their own ISO media, just the fact that we are offering KVM allows the user to use DD and a pre-created image of a disk to install Windows themselves, as many people here on LowEndTalk have already done with their Kimsufi servers (see the many threads regarding this.) This is nothing new.

I do not pretend for a second to ignore these things, but without logging in to the customer's machine, there is no means for me to tell if they have brought their own license or not until or unless Microsoft makes a complaint in regards to that server.

If you could provide for a non-invasive way to confirm authenticity and existence of a license on a given Windows server, then I would happily create and integrate a system such as this.

• TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited July 2014

This is why without SPLA, if you were smart, you would not allow Microsoft operating systems to be ran on your node. You can choose to make whatever excuse makes you happy, but in the end, that is the true answer if you want to be legal.

Also, if any of these users you are encouraging to use Dreamspark or educational licenses are not indeed using them for educational purposes and instead are using it for monetary gain (Business) outside the agreement of the software, once again, this becomes your responsibility because you let it be run on your hardware, knowingly or not.

The chances Microsoft will come after you directly may be slim, but if they do, it can easily bankrupt you in a single day.

@MCHPhil said: being audited by M$ and charged $xxxK per invalid license or etc, was it worth it for $6 a month?

At the end of the day, we all make our own bed, but at least you can't say at this point you haven't been warned.

Cheers!

edited July 2014

@TheLinuxBug said:
    This is why without SPLA, if you were smart, you would not allow Microsoft operating systems to be ran on your node. You can choose to make whatever excuse makes you happy, but in the end, that is the true answer if you want to be legal.

There is no means to "not allow" Microsoft Operating systems. This holds especially true for KVM, where I do not just get a "ps" listing including "qemu" and the likes. I would have to manually check each and every VPS container manually (and repeat the check every once in a while) to block such a thing, which simply is not possible.

To "not allow" Microsoft Operating Systems as per practices, is simply censoring the usage(s) of KVM as a hypervisor. We have the capacity to offer Windows licensing through either of our datacenters, the customer can choose if they want a license from us or not during their checkout process.

It is not for us to sit on our clients and invade on their systems.

https://www.priv.gc.ca/leg_c/r_o_a_e.asp

It's interesting how out of all the KVM providers (and Xen, lest not we forget the ones that offer full virtualization) that provide Windows along the same lines, have not had their offer threads completely derailed as ours has. We seem to have a knack for being a magnet to this sort of attack.

• fitvpnfitvpn Member

What is this mean - Location - First Available - without choice from drop down list if have two location described? Just kidding :)

• redoredo Member
    edited July 2014

said: Storage is backed by a Hardware RAID10 using LSI MegaRAID 9271 cards, with CacheVault. We use ultra-fast RAM-Caching techniques to ensure that your regular I/O operations are blazing fast [much faster than SSDs !!]

Could you please give some facts for this? It sound really cool