Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

IP Justification - clients accepted/rejected reasons? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

IP Justification - clients accepted/rejected reasons?

Comments

• Wait, why ask them for a reason at all, as long as they're paying for it, not getting them listed, and following your TOS?

I guess the main reason is a provider could end up selling all of their IP space before they sell all of the resource. There has to be a ratio between resource sold to IP address space (unless you have a lot of IPs kicking about)

• CoreyCorey Member

Our provider corexchange is pretty strict on giving us more ip addresses so we have to justify every single ip(great DC though), dumbest reasons are like others said - 'SEO'.

• klikliklikli Member

@Aldryic said: Floating IPs

How does that work? Like Elastic IP with AWS EC2 so IPs on demand?

• AldryicAldryic Member
    edited June 2012

@klikli said: How does that work? Like Elastic IP with AWS EC2 so IPs on demand?

Each VM will have a dedicated IP, but clients will also be able to add 'floating IPs' to their accounts. These IPs may be assigned/attached to any VM on that client's account, and moved at will.

• @Corey said: Our provider corexchange is pretty strict on giving us more ip addresses so we have to justify every single ip(great DC though), dumbest reasons are like others said - 'SEO'.

We're in CX also. I feel like sometimes they give justification forms back with a grade. 'B- Could have tried harder, noIPs4u'

They are a very good DC though :)

• CoreyCorey Member

@Shardhost yea we sent them what we sent arin and were approved with.. and they still wanted changes.

• TazTaz Member

I got a whole cab at Cx. They don't hassle a lot.

• @Daniel said: Linode were really fussy over IPs.

I told them I needed another IP for SSL, they then wanted to know every single detail of what my web server configuration was going to be.

Hahaha and I thought Hetzner was picky.

I told them SSL and they gave it to me with no questions asked.

• I have only asked for extra IP's based on 3 reasons:

1. SSL support for a site.
    2. For mail, I used to host a couple of people and every time they send a newsletter, it was 80% sure that they were going to flag as spam (they didn't follow the guidelines to stop this, and yes I DON'T host them anymore)
    3. SSH access, I did this on one VPS, set up the main IP for normal services (http, ssl, smtp, imap, xmpp) and the second IP was for VPN and SSH on ports 6969 and 443 (some firewalls problems I got in school)
  • netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

I did it because the IP got blacklisted in Netflix :(

Thanked by 1Boltersdriveer
  • i did decline some requests for IPs for VPN - but up to 4 we don't question anymore, too much work and we have enough for now anyway.

• I like to thank all the providers here who aren't IP Nazi's, it's very much appreciated and makes your companies much more appealing.

• subigosubigo Member
    edited June 2012

@taipres said: I like to thank all the providers here who aren't IP Nazi's, it's very much appreciated and makes your companies much more appealing.

I'd like to thank all the users here who don't request IPs for their crap sites.

• @subigo said: I'd like to thank all the users here who don't request IPs for their crap sites.

Nice way to treat your customers...insult them and their sites...is amazing you're still in business. Also welcome to the internet, where IP's are required to communicate.

Thanked by 3netomx Amfy Surge
  • subigosubigo Member
    edited June 2012

@taipres said: Nice way to treat your customers...insult them and their sites...is amazing you're still in business. Also welcome to the internet, where IP's are required to communicate.

I'm not insulting anyone. I'm thanking people who realize they don't need a dedicated IP for some Wordpress install with a couple dozen visitors per day or to help their "SEO" chances.

And thanks for welcoming me to the Internet. A place where you can do multiple things with a single IP.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@subigo said: I'm not insulting anyone. I'm thanking people who realize they don't need a dedicated IP for some Wordpress install with a couple dozen visitors per day or to help their "SEO" chances.

On WHT, about every 30 days someone posts asking where they can get a VPS with "multiple Class C addresses". I swear there must be some traveling "black hat SEO bootcamp" that goes around spreading this nonsense.

There is actually a guy who caters to/exploits this audience...

http://www.rockstarvps.com/seo-vps.php

Thanked by 1klikli
  • subigosubigo Member

@raindog308 said: On WHT, about every 30 days someone posts asking where they can get a VPS with "multiple Class C addresses". I swear there must be some traveling "black hat SEO bootcamp" that goes around spreading this nonsense.

http://www.rockstarvps.com/seo-vps.php

There's a ton of "seo" hosts. Hostgator screws people the hardest: http://www.seohosting.com/

• TazTaz Member

No one can beat hostbluff when it comes to Seo host.

• taiprestaipres Member
    edited June 2012

@raindog308 said: On WHT, about every 30 days someone posts asking where they can get a VPS with "multiple Class C addresses". I swear there must be some traveling "black hat SEO bootcamp" that goes around spreading this nonsense.

Actually where they got that is a Google engineer made a video saying that a sites location is in fact a determination(one of hundreds) to how a site ranks, they didn't use to do that, but they do it now, since there's tons of Google sites, google.co.uk,etc...Also with the recent brutal penguin Google updates where they sandboxed/slapped and punished thousands of sites for "over optimization", and really any/all SEO methods that were prior to this completely fine and helpful, not to mention even considered "white hat". But after the updates Google considered most SEO methods as a form of "unnatural links" and as such, sites with them deserve to be punished... it didn't matter if they created the backlinks themselves(as anyone can link to your site without permission, but Google naturally could care less) and it's unclear in the SEO community if a bunch of sites hosted on the same IP are considered "link farms" or otherwise shady to Google since they shut down tons of those and were bragging all over the place (Hence why users are looking for more than 1 IP). At one point it seemed like HostGator users were getting slapped left and right for that reason, but they seemed to have reversed that update and some of those sites are back in the index. The thinking is Google is doing all this because they want to remove any form of beneficial SEO so that site owners are forced to pay for adwords to rank on the front page when they could otherwise get there for free.

so with that in mind picture a guy whos business is reliant on his sites ranking on the front page of Google(yes that's not the wisest of moves but many do it and many were/are making lot of money off it), and suddenly one day he wakes up and his sites are gone, just completely gone...and was it because he did any "black hat" methods?, no he spent years building his ranking slowly...but does Google care? of course not, are you kidding me...lol, and now this guys revenue has been wiped out overnight...even worse thanks to Google and their new "quality" updates it's created the term "negative seo" which is when competitors go and intentional generate shady links to someone elses site because they know it's only a matter of time before Google slaps them(drops their ranking or removes their site entirely, not to mention maybe ban their adsense)...it's really unfortunate and this is why many in the SEO community are upset/concerned, as you can go some places and pay only a few bucks to go wreck some poor unknowing guys site with crappy backlinks...and the only ones immune are the giants like Amazon.com, ebay etc...and maybe the site that have old domains.

So don't insult those just trying to keep their businesses a float, it's not their fault Google has the power they do nor that they wield it in the manner they have :(

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep
    edited June 2012

Pretty much if they can use NAT for it or it is not a technical requirement for operation then I reject the form and refund their payment.

We limit clients to 3 additional IPs that they can order, after 3 they will need to open a ticket. If they need 5 or more then we require they pay for them for 6 months in advance if they have been a client for less than 6 months. After 6 months, they can switch to monthly. This tends to prevent abuse because most spammers know they won't have an account for 6 months.

• CoreyCorey Member

subigo - LOL @seohosting.com

but on another note... people looking for this service are people that are building link wheels and such and don't want to get caught.

• subigosubigo Member
    edited June 2012

@taipres said: So don't insult those just trying to keep their businesses a float, it's not their fault Google has the power they do nor that they wield it in the manner they have :(

tl;dr

If your business is dependent on Google rankings, you're doing it wrong. Stop wasting time on Warrior Forum.

• taiprestaipres Member
    edited June 2012

@subigo said: tl;dr

If your business is dependent on Google rankings, you're doing it wrong. Stop wasting time on Warrior Forum.

I'd imagine you would tl;dr, but that's ok because I didn't write the post for you. Also keep thinking wickedfire is somehow worth anything...they forum is a complete gutter compared to WF.

• klikliklikli Member

And http://www.ixwebhosting.com/hosting-plans

(NOTE: I assume all IPs are on the same subnet so not for SEO)

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

we receive at least one daily sale request for shared and vps with "several class c ip" :-)

One guy one time asked for 58 shared hosting package each with a dedicated ip from a different class C

• eLohkCalbeLohkCalb Member
    edited June 2012

Those who asked for "several class C IPs", we should recommend them IP addresses on different ASNs instead. :)

Thanked by 1klikli
  • tommytommy Member

@Damian said: Any reason why it would take longer?

because they don't know how to setup? or maybe misconfiguration. Not everyone now how to setup SSL, just like setup webserver, my friend has his VPS for first time and need 2-3 week just to setup nginx.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

I dont think this is the only reason, I can imagine other scenarios when the person buying the VPS is not the owner of the content, they will just put it up for someone else, in that case needs to test things before going into production, doesnt recieve the site in time, maybe has other providers under testing also, has a busy schedule, had an emergency, was taken to a hospital/funeral/house burned together with the site, etc.
    Sure, each host decides how to handle things, but if someone suspends my VPS because I didnt setup my site in time then I will make damn sure I will get my money back, no matter if it is only one cent left.
    Unless their ToS does specify this as a normal course of action in case of IP requests.
    M

• @Maounique said: Sure, each host decides how to handle things, but if someone suspends my VPS because I didnt setup my site in time then I will make damn sure I will get my money back, no matter if it is only one cent left.

Linode give you 14 days.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

And after that ? They delete the VPS or just take back the IP ?
    M