Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

IP Justification - clients accepted/rejected reasons?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

IP Justification - clients accepted/rejected reasons?

mikhomikho Member, Host Rep
edited June 2012 in General

I got into a conversation with a friend of mine the other day about when client sends in a ticket asking to get more IPs for their VPS or their shared hosting.

The conversation rather quickly went into the reasons why clients need new IPs (some justification is always needed to be included with the request).

Now I'm curious; what are your (as providers) best/worst memories or stories of rejected/approved IP justifications?
Most obvious is the reason for ns server on different IP or SSL for their site.. what more would you approve?

I had one where the client wanted a second IP "for fun"...

Comments

• subigosubigo Member

I got so sick of retarded "SEO" requests that I just stopped offering IPs all together. True story.

Thanked by 1Aldryic
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@MikHo said: Most obvious is the reason for ns server

This isn't allowed as far as I know.

Your guidelines should be exactly what your RIR accepts :)

Francisco

• Linode were really fussy over IPs.

I told them I needed another IP for SSL, they then wanted to know every single detail of what my web server configuration was going to be.

• @Daniel said: I told them I needed another IP for SSL, they then wanted to know every single detail of what my web server configuration was going to be.

pay it yearly (the VPS), and they always give you additional IP without asking. :P

• @Mon5t3r I've had my VPS with them for nearly 1.5 years, and this was my first extra IP

• @liam I guessed, but why would that make a difference?

• Mon5t3rMon5t3r Member
    edited June 2012

@Daniel said: I've had my VPS with them for nearly 1.5 years, and this was my first extra IP

wow, i didn't know that. (i'm with them from 2008 til 2011) and they gave me additional IP 3 times without asking. :D

@liam said: He means pay for one year ;-)

correct. :D

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@MikHo said: Most obvious is the reason for ns server

Portugal is the only register I know that still demands unique IP's on nameservers. You'll never get an IP out of me for that reason,and claim SSL, I'll come back after a week and test the port, if I don't see a valid site running on it, say goodbye to your VPS.

Thanked by 1Mon5t3r
  • @miTgiB i agree. I have been checking our sites lately for people with additional IP's. I also require them to give me the SSL certificate from the registrar which helps slow down some of the SSL "fraud".

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@jshinkle said: @miTgiB i agree. I have been checking our sites lately for people with additional IP's. I also require them to give me the SSL certificate from the registrar which helps slow down some of the SSL "fraud".

What if they use a self-signed certificate?

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited June 2012

But then again, with one of older LEB hosts (I won't name it here) I got impression like they "encourage" me to request new IPs, even for free. With IPs request they require RIPE justification but in same time give list of potential justifications (ssl, nameservers..) to "help" a client. I am wondering why they are doing that. My first thought is that they try to justify as much of possible used IPs (from their own IP space) to request new IP blocks from RIPE and that way secure for themself as much as possible IP blocks for future usage. Is this possible scenario or just my imagination?

Thanked by 1TheHackBox
  • taiprestaipres Member
    edited June 2012

@miTgiB said: Portugal is the only register I know that still demands unique IP's on nameservers. You'll never get an IP out of me for that reason,and claim SSL, I'll come back after a week and test the port, if I don't see a valid site running on it, say goodbye to your VPS.

Lol more like say goodbye to your customer(as well as many other potential customers when they tell their friends), because i'm sure they'll be able to find a provider who doesn't act like that. Funny how customers pay for at least a month in advance of service and you'll "test the port in a week", what a joke.

• TazTaz Member

@taipres rule is rule. No one should lie. Simple.

• taiprestaipres Member
    edited June 2012

@NinjaHawk said: @taipres rule is rule. No one should lie. Simple.

It's not about lieing it's about people doing things when they have time or feel like it, and this guy treating his customers like liars instead of emailing them/addressing any concerns he has with them is ridiculous. Sounds to me if you aren't using the IP within a week, then "say goodbyte to your VPS". If I were his customer and he pulled that i'd file a dispute with my CC and get a chargeback ASAP for not providing the service I payed for.

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@taipres said: Lol more like say goodbye to your customer

you really don't understand this business at all, do you? I have terminated 1 VPS in the past 6 years for this, most people are honest, disappointed, but honest about their IP usage.

• @miTgiB said: you really don't understand this business at all, do you? I have terminated 1 VPS in the past 6 years for this, most people are honest, disappointed, but honest about their IP usage.

What makes a user a liar exactly? Because they don't get something setup within a week? Unless they told you it'd be setup in that time frame, I see no one lieing...

• I have had some hosts that I have just asked for an extra IP and I have gotten one. With no reason needed by them.

• When I ordered my /27 from datashack I put "I need dedicated IP for webhosting" and they gave it to me.

• @Jack said: Since when did you have a Datashack?

Err like 2-3 months now for web hosting.

• DamianDamian Member

@taipres said: Because they don't get something setup within a week?

Any reason why it would take longer?

• TazTaz Member

You have a website that is important enough to have SSL and you are going to tell me you do not have time to install an SSL cert for that important site in. 1 whole week? While SSL setup takes only like what 3-10 minutes?

• We don't really see a problem with leasing extra IPs as the client needs. So long as they follow our TOS, don't abuse the IPs and get them listed, I don't see why it's any of my business what they want them for. Now granted, I've put a software limit of 10x extra per VPS.. if they want/need more than that, they need to open a support ticket justifying why they need so many.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

Whats the "worst" explanation you ever heard from a client to get an extra ip?

• Hrm. Back when we wanted reasons for extras (before we had our own blocks), I think my all-time favourite was "In case the first IP gets hacked"

Thanked by 1klikli
  • DamianDamian Member

@Aldryic said: "In case the first IP gets hacked"

Hacked with an axe, right?

Thanked by 1ElliotJ
  • @Aldryic said: Now granted, I've put a software limit of 10x extra per VPS.. if they want/need more than that, they need to open a support ticket justifying why they need so many.

Wait, why ask them for a reason at all, as long as they're paying for it, not getting them listed, and following your TOS?

Thanked by 1Amfy
  • We've had:

"Because I find the one you gave me hard to remember"

"My first might get blacklisted"

"If my VPS ever crashes, I can log in with the other"

• @antiven said: Wait, why ask them for a reason at all, as long as they're paying for it, not getting them listed, and following your TOS?

Because even getting IPs directly from Arin is requiring more and more justification.

• @antiven said: Wait, why ask them for a reason at all, as long as they're paying for it, not getting them listed, and following your TOS?

Primarily to prevent someone from ordering up 200 IPs, trying to run a free/open proxy site, and causing us a world of headache.

It's an older policy, but as we plan to have Floating IPs available soon after Stallion2 (which will have a different set of rules), we haven't had any need to change it yet. It's pretty rare that the situation even comes up to begin with.

• TazTaz Member

@aldryic while there, mmm my pm sir?