Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

$0.99 .com domains from 1&1
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

$0.99 .com domains from 1&1

ChanChan Member
edited June 2012 in General

Just thought telling you guys about this $0.99 .com deal from 1&1, no coupon code is needed.
Link is here: https://www.1and1.com/Instant?linkId=ct.nav.domains
I think they've got a $0.99 deal for transfer aswell, I wanted to use it but I can't since I have to wait 60 days till I can transfer my domain from GoDaddy :/
Disclaimer: I haven't try it out myself yet and I don't work for them...

Comments

• BlazeMuisBlazeMuis Member
    edited June 2012

1and1 isn't really a good registrar...
    Had many problems with them, such as i needed to show tons of proof it was actually ME, buying shit from them

• ChanChan Member

Well I ran into a problem myself as they don't list Hong Kong or China on their list of countries..., perhaps I should wait for another GoDaddy promotion. Oh well

• taiprestaipres Member
    edited June 2012

1&1 is a nightmare, take my advice and stay far far away from them. Their private customer forum is riddled with upset customers, i've never seen anything even remotely like it. Also they use collection agencies a lot, many have said when you try and cancel your domain they keep charging you and send collection agency after you, telling you they'll ruin your credit, same with transfering your domain. As a customer myself(trust me I regret it) they have a HORRIBLE control panel and you can't even disable auto renew by default, you have to email them and hope they respond.

1&1 suckers many in with their dirt cheap deals and from all the money they dump into advertising into tech mags. spend a few more dollars and go with namecheap or internet.bs.

if you still want to use them, at least use a prepaid debt from walgreens or something.

• ChanChan Member

@taipres @joodle
    Thanks for the advice, I'll try internet.bs next time (I think they're doing $8.5 with free whois). Anyway do you guys know if they have any policys about transferring domains?
    Thanks

• kalamkalam Member

1&1 is terrible, definitely not worth it.

• @Chan said: I'll try internet.bs next time

+1. The only issue I've had with them was a minor outage when they got hammered awhile back; otherwise, no troubles at all.

• I've used Namecheap and Dynadot when I was switching all my domains away from GoDaddy. Both have been solid for me.

Heard good things about Internet.bs, maybe I'll try them out.

• Internet.bs is fine but their DNS hosting is a bit derpy (had 2 outages of some hours each so far) so i'd recommend using he.net or so for DNS hosting.

• AsadAsad Member

Dynadot and Name/Namecheap are great, stay the heck away from 1&1. I wouldn't accept a hundred free domains from them.

• Indonesia is not listed :D
    I've tried it long ago, so I just go with Internet.bs now

• lol 1&1 should pay users to use their domains :D

• NickMNickM Member

I don't see the big deal about "Oh So & So Registrar sucks, I have so many problems with them blah blah blah". I register my domains, set their nameservers and contact info, and then I don't have to touch anything again for a year. The only one I refused to do business with is GoDaddy because of the elephant thing, not because "Oh they suck because x, y and z."

• @NickM it's because *when you actually need to do something with your domain that's where the problems can arise, and with 1&1 they can be extensive. So that extra $7-$9 or whatever people are going to pay to use a different name registrar is really paying to make things not miserable.

• klikliklikli Member

@Chan
    Have sent email to them concerning this, they said order from CN/HK is not accepted for fraud reasons.. it's interesting.

• jcalebjcaleb Member

@Chan said: Disclaimer: I haven't try it out myself yet and I don't work for them...

i registered 1 domain for $0.99 and was able to get the domain after a week. Don't know why it took that long. The free DNS configuration sucks. I can't find how to set A record for subdomain, which is very easy with others such as netfirms and internetbs.

• NickWNickW Member

Would rather eat my own eyeballs.

• inb4 1&1 rep posts about how awesome their service is :D

• BluBoyBluBoy Member

Avoid 'em!
    I purchased one of their $1 domains 3 years ago... Have continually tried to cancel it since then (NOTE: they have a separate hidden control panel to cancel services!) and each year they email me saying its not cancelled, and I need to pay again.

I have argued it back this time, and now being threatened with legal action, bad credit rating, blacklisting etc etc.

Bunch of dishonest thugs really.

• taiprestaipres Member
    edited June 2012

@BluBoy said: I have argued it back this time, and now being threatened with legal action, bad credit rating, blacklisting etc etc.

Yeah that seems to be their M.O. i'm suprised they haven't been faced with a class action lawsuit yet.

• jcalebjcaleb Member

anyone has experience transferring domain away from them? how many days should i have to wait?

• Too many years of 3rd party horror stories and a right faff on ~10 years ago when I tried transferring on behalf of a client.

• yomeroyomero Member

I don't know...
    I am reading a lot of stuff here about problems, and I never had these issues.
    My first domain was bought at 1and1 some time ago in a 50% discount offer. Then I transferred it without issues to internetbs.
    Now something has changed? IIRC I still have another domain with them, and it has auto-renew disabled.
    Or this issues are with their 1usd offers? I don't get it :S

• DanielMDanielM Member
    edited June 2012

They are a scam. they have that auto renew, and make it extrememly hard to cancel. What they do breaks the rules, however they get round it by calling the domain a package.

As in in normal sense if you dont want to renew a domain you just leave it to expire. 1and1 auto-renew it without your permission.

• @DanielM: So cancelling the 'package' cancels the domain as well?

• DanielMDanielM Member
    edited June 2012

Correct, But they make it extremely hard to cancel. And they dont tell you about the renew.

• jcalebjcaleb Member

@DanielM said: As in in normal sense if you dont want to renew a domain you just leave it to expire. 1and1 auto-renew it without your permission.

how do you get charged? can you refuse to pay?

• DanielMDanielM Member
    edited June 2012

They auto-charge your credit/debit card or paypal. or however they can. and if you refuse to pay the renew (Which you didnt want) they sell the account to a debt collector.

• Their site is broken! http://www.1and1.com/

• @taipres said: Their site is broken! http://www.1and1.com/

:o

• taiprestaipres Member
    edited June 2012

Just tried to cancel my domain and nothing loading :( how is it a million dollar company allows their site to be down/completely broken for at least 15-20 minutes now...