Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

5 per YEAR VPS? - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

5 per YEAR VPS?

Comments

• subigosubigo Member

Who cares if they disappear in a month or two? From what I've seen, very few people on LET actually use any of these lowend vps plans for actually hosting sites... Don't most of you use these things for tunneling traffic and general testing of scripts/services/etc?

• 96mb96mb Member

@subigo: Joe cares, and he cares about the people who might be ripped off by my "marketing" effort for them too :)

• 96mb96mb Member

Could someone figure out who the WHMCS license holder is? I bet he'll be pretty surprised if he gets a call from one of the LETers :)

• @subigo said: Don't most of you use these things for tunneling traffic and general testing of scripts/services/etc?

Not always. There are a small handful of solid LEB providers that consistently prove 'you get what you pay for' to be irrelevant, and won't be going anywhere anytime soon. I have no qualms about hosting various services with a few of them; doesn't mean I don't keep backups and have contingency plans ready, though :P

• TazTaz Member

@subigo 96mb is hosted on a LEB, so shamelesshosts.com :)

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

I wonder when a thread will get to 2 whole pages in here without someone starting trouble for the sake of starting it?

• subigosubigo Member

@Aldryic said: Not always. There are a small handful of solid LEB providers that consistently prove 'you get what you pay for' to be irrelevant, and won't be going anywhere anytime soon. I have no qualms about hosting various services with a few of them; doesn't mean I don't keep backups and have contingency plans ready, though :P

@NinjaHawk said: 96mb is hosted on a LEB, so shamelesshosts.com :)

I know some people use them for long-term hosting, I just mean the majority of people here. Or at least that's what it seems like to me. Once I stopped looking at lowend offers as legit stable hosts and more as just another link in the proxy chain, they became kind of interesting (and gave me some good money making ideas).

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@subigo said: Once I stopped looking at lowend offers as legit stable hosts and more as just another link in the proxy chain, they became kind of interesting (and gave me some good money making ideas).

sure, but look at this offer. Lets say you pay $70 for a 2GB thinking you'll get it yearly. They die in a month and now that person spent $70 for a 2GB and are out whatever they were doing with it.

The sad part is not everyone is smart enough to only use them for 'throw away ip addresses', if uptimevps' $45/y 4GB offer showed anything is that people will move their production stuff to it right away even though the host was barely into their 2nd month.

Francisco

• 96mb96mb Member

@Francisco What can I say, you are just a genius :)

• JoeMeritJoeMerit Veteran
    edited June 2012

Its unfortunate that some were caught in uptimevps' trap due to 96mb's 'fun' .

People who otherwise would have never heard of this deal now have him
    to thank for helping them put their $5 into the hands of a guy that is well known
    around LEB/LET as someone you really don't want to give money to.

• 96mb96mb Member

@JoeMerit Have a nice day Joe, I seriously found it is pointless and a complete waste of my time to talk to you anymore, go out and enjoy your life.

• vedranvedran Veteran

@JoeMerit said: Its unfortunate that some were caught in uptimevps' trap due to 96mb's 'fun' .

Or if 96mb hasn't posted here, maybe they'd be able to continue this for months like they did the last time.

• @vedran said: Or if 96mb hasn't posted here, maybe they'd be able to continue this for months like they did the last time.

Well, I'm kind of angry at myself for coming down so hard on him in this thread. But come on, the guy exposed LET users to probable fraudsters and then helped legitimize them by posting that he bought one himself and then the benchmarks and such.

Anyways, Im sorry I came down so hard and I really respect 96mb and love his site but
    I think he could have handled this in a way that wouldn't have helped the probable fraudsters rip more people off. Like posted it on the LEB or Frantech IRC where more seasoned scam sleuths could have investigated it.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited June 2012

So this is new company from Darren Slade known also as Ken Nash? There around is very interesting pastebin text which I wont link here as it contain some sensitive informations and I don't want to be part of this however part regarding his previous scam WHT/LEB/hosting operations can be pasted here, guess.

UptimeVPS saga full disclosure.

LXServerDirect (2007) was company name some individual has used to offer VPS services at very competitive prices. After ordering, the VPSs would work for a while, until disappearing from the map a few days later, leaving their customers without access to their machines, support, or any form of notice. LXServerDirect service most of the clients prepaid yearly losing a lot of money after company runaway.

ServerWOW was company (2009) name some individual has used to offer VPS services at very competitive prices. After ordering, the VPSs would work for a while, until disappearing from the map a few days later, leaving their customers without access to their machines, support, or any form of notice. ServerWOW service most of the clients prepaid yearly losing a lot of money after company runaway.

UptimeVPS (2011) was company name some individual known as Ken Nash has used to offer VPS services at very competitive prices. After ordering, the VPSs would work for a while, until disappearing from the map a few days later, leaving their customers without access to their machines, support, or any form of notice. UptimeVPS service most of the clients prepaid yearly losing a lot of money after company runaway.

All 3 companies was created by same con-artist and no...

Ken Nash is not Stephen McKiernan.
    Ken Nash is not Ash McKiernan.
    Ken Nash is not Lee Occleshaw. (though we can find real Ken Nash identity at Lee's facebook friend list)

Ken Nash is....

888poker.com nick name: sincara69
    Mail: [email protected]
    Company owner: http://mortimercomputers.com/About-Us.html (you will recognize here same company address as UptimeVPS had)

Known hosting scams: LXServerDirect (2007), ServerWOW (2009), UptimeVPS (2011)

A bit of history:

LXServerDirect: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=628728
    ServerWOW: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showpo...6&postcount=34
    UptimeVPS: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...086771&page=11

Facebook profile: http://www.facebook.com/darren.slade.9
    http://i46.tinypic.com/r77rb9.jpg

Linkedin profile: http://uk.linkedin.com/pub/darren-slade/32/666/a70
    http://i46.tinypic.com/v5zuib.jpg
    Thanked by 1Pats
  • netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Lol, I feel sorry about you guys buying that VPS knowing it was a scam, and then say that @96mb have the fault

Thanked by 1djvdorp
  • @netomx said: Lol, I feel sorry about you guys buying that VPS knowing it was a scam, and then say that @96mb have the fault

@netomx, ask yourself this, why did the people in this thread who admitted to buying the vps, buy the vps?

• @JoeMerit said: why did the people in this thread who admitted to buying the vps, buy the vps?

Why did all of the people that have now found out that it's actually UptimeVPS and won't waste their money (even though they would've eventually seen the offer elsewhere, like on WHT), not buy the vps? :3

C'mon dude, he so much as called them deadpoolers from the start, and called attention to the potential scam. That's like looking up a shady company in the BBB listings, and then blaming the BBB if you get ripped.

• taiprestaipres Member
    edited June 2012

@96mb thanks for posting the benchmark, BTW I like your site as well, simple and useful.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran
    edited June 2012

@Jack said: Your right

Yeah always Frantastically™ right

Thanked by 1djvdorp
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@96mb Thanks for the share. If you hadn't, more people might have been scammed without the LET community hopping on the case. For real though, $5, I've given more to homeless people who scammed me.

• 96mb96mb Member

@JoeMerit For the sake of this community and save everyone's time, I have removed all the benchmark test results. I can no longer edit my post on WHT, but I have reported my own post to the mods there to get the benchmarks removed.

I hope that would make you happy for now, and let's leave this behind and move on with life, would that be OK with you?

• jcalebjcaleb Member

if someone gets ripped off, that's his fault alone for not researching well before purchasing.

• 96mb96mb Member

@All: I just want to clarify that I do review all sort of VPS providers, some of them are fantastic, others are at the other end of the scale. My role in this community, as I see it, is not to say "what are the best VPS providers out there?" but rather "how is each VPS provider?"

I have spent my own money buying VPSes, sometimes knowing exactly what I am getting into and never expect to get the money back. Fortunately I am financially well-off enough and have enough interests in this topic to spend the money on. If other people could save the hassle of buying and trying because of my review, then I think 96MB has served its own purposes.

Therefore, please do not take my review as any sort of equivalent for "good services", but rather, "how is their services"

• jcalebjcaleb Member

dont get too much affected. can't please everyone

• 96mb96mb Member

@jcaleb Thanks definitely appreciate your support on this

• @96mb said: I hope that would make you happy for now, and let's leave this behind and move on with life, would that be OK with you?

I'm happy, sorry for coming down hard on you. Keep up the good work on your site.

• jcalebjcaleb Member

If you like to help people, you got to accept that sometimes you get things like this. It's like boxing, you can't hit your opponent and not get hit. Heck, even Mayweather got bloodied nose and mouth.

Thanked by 2Mon5t3r djvdorp
  • 96mb96mb Member

@JoeMerit Good to hear that Joe, have a good evening!

• 96mb96mb Member

@jcaleb LOL, now I feel better :)