Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Moving to VPS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Moving to VPS

bijan588bijan588 Member
edited June 2012 in General

NeuronHosting will soon be moving into the VPS market.

I'm going to keep it short and sweet.

1.) What are some good prices
2.) OpenVZ or Xen
3.) ipv6 opinion

Comments

• AH-DominicAH-Dominic Member
    edited June 2012

What's your budget

• subigosubigo Member

Oh, it's this thread again.

• JacobJacob Member

<$4.00
    OpenVZ
    Obviously yes, If possible to obtain which 99.99% of the times you can get a IPv6 through v4 Tunnel if native is not possible, It will add ping but oh well.

• I have done research, the main think I am wondering about is CURRENT pricing.

I don't see why its a crime to ask, I'm not new, and I have been running my host with minecraft servers stably for 7 months.

I don't see the issue.

Shit, this place is turning into WHT >_>

• TazTaz Member

You have your own cost and own profit margin. No one can define what you want to do. Do 10$ for 256 MB or 4$ for 2Gig. Upto you.

• $5?
    KVM :D

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

About the price - it depends on the hardware that you intend to be leasing/buying/renting. As well, depends on the bussiness plan that you have built. There are some big threads in WHT, explaining the pricing strategies. And just because BuyVM (purely for example) is selling VMs for 3.50$ per month, that does not mean that you can afford selling at the same price at all. So I belive noone from here can help you with the exact prices. Just do your personal research.

About virtualization - i would suggest starting with ovz, as it would be much easier for managing than kvm/xen.

Native ipv6 would be a good addition to any provider.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@bijan588 said: I'm going to keep it short and sweet.

The question you really need to answer is "what am I offering that is different than everyone else's offerings?"

Thanked by 1Liam
  • taiprestaipres Member
    edited June 2012

The first and most important feature you need to add to your VPS is politeness and friendly customer service. I've seen a lot of providers come and go, because they didn't understand they needed to crawl before they could walk. You need to build a rep and grow until you can afford the hardware like bigger players in this space and know for a fact you can pay the bills.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

I'm looking for undersold 4GB KVM with 150GB+ storage on a 1Gbps line with ipv6. Prefer under $5.

Thanked by 3Francisco tux Liam
  • @taipres said: The first and most important feature you need to add to your VPS is politeness and friendly customer service. I've seen a lot of providers come and go, because they didn't understand they needed to crawl before they could walk. You need to build a rep and grow until you can afford the hardware like bigger players in this space and know for a fact you can pay the bills.

Already been paying my bills for 7 months doing minecraft hosting.

Honest opinion: Don't do VPS with rented volumedrive servers. They really are great systems for the cost, but when you have an outage, boy are you going to have an outage. Great guys, but not who I'd want on the back end of that kind of service. Just make sure you pick a good DC with fast response. Totally unrelated to your questions, obviously.

• @jarland said: Honest opinion: Don't do VPS with rented volumedrive servers. They really are great systems for the cost, but when you have an outage, boy are you going to have an outage. Great guys, but not who I'd want on the back end of that kind of service. Just make sure you pick a good DC with fast response. Totally unrelated to your questions, obviously.

I collocate my hardware, I have no idea where you came up with volumedrive.

I've seen you post about them before, that's all. No assumptions, just advice.

• bijan588bijan588 Member
    edited June 2012

@jarland said: I've seen you post about them before, that's all. No assumptions, just advice.

Yeah, I use their vps as an IRC bouncer, but thats about it.

Heres my rack

Thanked by 1jar
  • jcalebjcaleb Member
    edited June 2012

which location?

1.) What are some good prices - its tricky
    2.) OpenVZ or Xen - OpenVZ and KVM. also offer backup vps similat to hostigation
    3.) ipv6 opinion - yes

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@raindog308 said: The question you really need to answer is "what am I offering that is different than everyone else's offerings?"

Agreed!

• jcalebjcaleb Member

@RamNode said: Agreed!

and make it awesome!

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@jcaleb said: make it awesome!

Bottles of awesome may no be in his budget

• jcalebjcaleb Member
    edited June 2012

@miTgiB said: Bottles of awesome may no be in his budget

then make it rather super cheap? aren't his servers 2nd hand bought from around let?

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@jcaleb said: aren't his servers 2nd hand bought from around let?

He has 1 of my old nodes that was a great OpenVZ node for years, not sure what else he has, but at least people are telling him to have a plan first.

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

Don't ask. You will end having more doubt. Take your decisions and be ready to adjust/change your plans. Pay for your errors and admit them, in the end you will learn and grow :-)

Thanked by 2djvdorp Liam
  • jcalebjcaleb Member

@miTgiB said: but at least people are telling him to have a plan first.

i admire him. he is half my age and yet running his own company already. im sure its profitable too.

• @bijan588 said: 1.) What are some good prices

2.) OpenVZ or Xen
    3.) ipv6 opinion

1) If you can aim at $10/Gb RAM on OVZ, that would be 'good' pricing. Not the best, but good all the same.
    2) OpenVZ to start (it will make management slightly easier), consider adding KVM as you expand.
    3) ipv6 if your DC/Switches/routers support it otherwise not.

Thanked by 1bijan588
  • @ShardHost said: 1) If you can aim at $10/Gb RAM on OVZ, that would be 'good' pricing. Not the best, but good all the same.

2) OpenVZ to start (it will make management slightly easier), consider adding KVM as you expand.
    3) ipv6 if your DC/Switches/routers support it otherwise not.

Horray! I commend you sir!

You are the first person to answer

• @bijan588 said: 3) ipv6 if your DC/Switches/routers support it otherwise not.

Horray! I commend you sir!

You are the first person to answer

Just to expand on the ipv6 point. My point sounds like a given; however, I was trying to say that don't replace your networking with ipv6 kit just to offer it for VPS. Launch vps, if it proves successful and there is a demand for ipv6 then consider upgrading your kit.

As an aside, if you are using used kit, check the life of the drives, maybe consider replacing the drives for your vps nodes then repurpose the old drives

• @miTgiB said: He has 1 of my old nodes that was a great OpenVZ node for years,

That node is boss, upgraded it to 32GB of ram, and its holding steady. Found some rails for it too, those tyan ones I linked you ended up working just fine.

@ShardHost said: 1) If you can aim at $10/Gb RAM on OVZ, that would be 'good' pricing. Not the best, but good all the same.

Thats doable.

@prometeus said: Don't ask. You will end having more doubt. Take your decisions and be ready to adjust/change your plans. Pay for your errors and admit them, in the end you will learn and grow :-)

Thanks for the advice :)

Anyways, last time I made a mistake was when I first got listed in the main section of minecraft forums and forgot to limit my stock. Ended up giving a lot of refunds and cancellations.

• @ShardHost said: As an aside, if you are using used kit, check the life of the drives, maybe consider replacing the drives for your vps nodes then repurpose the old drives

I usually just buy new ones when I get a server, I dont like relying on drives that could have been used for years beforehand.

• @bijan588 said: I usually just buy new ones when I get a server, I dont like relying on drives that could have been used for years beforehand.

It's good practice, many don't. Your customers will thank you for it ;)

• @raindog308 said: The question you really need to answer is "what am I offering that is different than everyone else's offerings?"

@miTgiB said: Bottles of awesome may no be in his budget

@jcaleb said: then make it rather super cheap? aren't his servers 2nd hand bought from around let?

You don't have to offer better plans, or lower pricing, or features nobody else has to be successful. Just be honest, stable, and provide the best service you can while allowing for profit and growth. Stability and honesty count for far more than saving a dollar or two, and in the end bolstering your reputation from those two values will bring you more clients than any gimmick or sales pitch.