Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

When will IPv4 completely fade out in your opinion? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

When will IPv4 completely fade out in your opinion?

Comments

• Then again, if you look at StarHub IX ( http://bgp.he.net/AS4657#_prefixes ), they have A LOT of prefixes the companies using them don't need. And this is not including their second exchange ( http://bgp.he.net/AS38861#_prefixes ) and their other 2 AS's for residential customers ( http://bgp.he.net/AS10091 ) and ( http://bgp.he.net/AS55430 ).

• yomeroyomero Member

@HerrMaulwurf said: All big companies should be forced to return their /8 blocks or justify that. Very unfair they sit on their legacy blocks.

Exaaaactly.
    Someone must kill the idiots who started to assign IPs ¬_¬

Thanked by 1TheHackBox
  • TazTaz Member

Well TBH , The way people are giving away ipv6 no a days,( 10-20 per vps), we will have the same issue soon.

• giving out 10-20 IPs per VPS isnt a problem

• rds100rds100 Member

@NinjaHawk if i am giving away 1 million ipv6 addresses per second, my ipv6 allocation will run out in 38334786263 years.

• TazTaz Member

giving out 10-20 IPs per VPS isnt a problem

Same was going on with ipv4 back in the days and now look at us. Dc's were giving out ip like water and now they don't even want to assign a tiny /22 block I have been asking for last 2 month as they keep saying I need to use all my ips first. ( Only 10 unused???).

• TazTaz Member

> if i am giving away 1 million ipv6 addresses per second, my ipv6 allocation will run out in 38334786263 years.

If millions of providers starts giving out like that, we will face the exact same issue. May be not now, But in next decades? Who knows,

• yomeroyomero Member

Ahm, lol?

• rds100rds100 Member

Don't know. I have 1208925819614629174706176 ipv6 addresses. Should be enough for some time :)

• TazTaz Member

For example, look at providers such as buyvm , burstnet etc, the one that sells VPS/Dedicated servers like crazy ( I bet they sell on a minute or hourly basis:P), If they starts giving out ip's at 1208925819614629174706176 rate per user/server, Wonder how many years we will have ipv6 available. Than add Government Facilities and Big corporations. It is a limited resource after all and TBH I do not want to See (Or imagine ipv8-10 etc). Difficult to remember all those numbers.

• AldryicAldryic Member
    edited June 2012

@NinjaHawk said: Same was going on with ipv4 back in the days and now look at us. Dc's were giving out ip like water and now they don't even want to assign a tiny /22 block I have been asking for last 2 month as they keep saying I need to use all my ips first. ( Only 10 unused???).

The difference is the scale. There are exponentially more v6 than v4; excessive to the point that we could assign v6 addresses to atoms (the particle, not the hardware) and still have plenty left.

Sure, it may become a problem in the next few hundred years if technology continues to expand at the same rate (highly doubtful since speculative science fiction, the original idea generator, is all but dead), but by that point we'll already have another replacement.

EDIT: We also only give out 16 v6 addresses per VM, with more available on request w/ justification. Having an entire /64 on OpenVZ is just ridiculous; the container would take hours, if not days, to boot. On KVM you can assign a /64 to a client... but since we don't SWIP out our IP space to clients without justification anyways, it's a moot point. No point in being excessive just because we can.

Thanked by 1Taz
  • I love IPv4 so sweet with 3 dots :)

• ipv4 will be around without any fading ;)
    just that your refrigerators, washers and ipods wont be able to get one and will have to live with ipv6...

• TazTaz Member

@Aldryic That is my point. TBH, Technology will grow no matter whats so ever, We might even see higher request for static ip's for regular home users ( just sayin).
    But the point is, ISP's and Dc thought the same way about ipv4 years ago and now look at it. Just because it is free does not mean we should abuse it. Why would some one even need 10-20 ip for a small vps? It is not like they gonna run 30 high profile website with all the goodies that requires their own ip on a 258 mb ram Vps. Heck, I have 5 ip ( /29 block given by my Dc for free) for my main server and I hardly use 2.

• @NinjaHawk if i recall correctly the specification requires to assasign every computer at least a /112 (or was it /96?)

• TazTaz Member

@gsrdgrdghd Link please?

• klikliklikli Member

@gsrdgrdghd said: every computer at least a /112

I think I somehow see that too, but I can't really figure where I see it. But anyway, here is a interesting post.

• RFC 6177 + some RFCs mentioned in it

• @liam said: For exampe these guys don't need them.

Apple doesn't really use their space either.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

I think this is a bad idea, i mean getting IPv4 from original owners. Why delay the inevitable and cut the tail of the dog one bit at a time...
    We NEED to move to IPv6 and then make it sure it will last to the end of the world.
    I got a /64 with my dynamic IPv4 from one provider, and yes, the /64 is static. At least it seems so.
    Apart from that, there are ppl using IBM 8086 computers still. Will IPv4 become obsolete, probably yes, but this does not mean will disappear, we can tunnel everything over IPv6, i personally like the way I set up my network at home will likely keep it for many years like this and there are huge organizations with thousands of computers in a building which will probably think the same way.
    They will coexist, the big guys will find out ways to make them work together much better than now, all routers will support both, no matter how cheap.
    So why kill them...
    M

• You know, when the first 1TB drive came out, me and my friends bought one and thought we won't be able to fill it in 3 years.

A week later, we had to buy two more.

Thanked by 1Taz
  • TazTaz Member

@delirium said: You know, when the first 1TB drive came out, me and my friends bought one and thought we won't be able to fill it in 3 years.

A week later, we had to buy two more.

^This^

There was a time ppl were striving to squeeze every bit of the code because memory was so low. Microsoft was not about some small coders, but the great ones that managed to make small programs that did the trick without throwing TBs of RAM at them.
    IF we wouldnt have 1 TB drives we could still do with 6 GB ones one way or the other. Would just need to waste less.
    M

• They wont fade out any time soon (if even) but I would not be surprised if the cost / value were to go up eventually.

• CoreyCorey Member

@Maounique I don't believe for MANY MANY years we would need ipv6 if the big companies with legacy blocks gave their ips back to the pool.

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep
    edited June 2012

I work with some large corporation and none of them has never thinked about ipv6 and it's something out of their radar at present. The only idea that thousands of pc, printers, and other devices like access control, cams, sensors, toilet soap dispenser (joking :) ) need to be configured / upgraded or replaced and everithing rechecked to make sure it works how it 's now make management mad. (not talking about money and time required)

The whole idea of the nat ipv4 they are using now make no pressure, each corp can use a 10/8 for internal usr and a /27 (or less) for public services and they're done... so when you go ahead and talk about exaustion they tell you that with a /27 they are set for at least more 10 years...

Thanked by 1Liam

@Corey said: I don't believe for MANY MANY years we would need ipv6 if the big companies with legacy blocks gave their ips back to the pool.

Yes, but, eventually, after 10 more years we will be back here. So why not do it now, the more IPv4 we will have to migrate, the harder will be.
    Yes, we can live with our 2x /27, yes I like NAT, yes, we can postopone for many years, but i think will be better if we move faster.
    In fact it doesnt matter, this cant be forced upon anyone, it will happen when the majority will feel the need for it strong enough to break through the lazyness layer.
    M

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep
    edited June 2012

@Maounique said: Yes, we can live with our 2x /27, yes I like NAT, yes, we can postopone for many years, but i think will be better if we move faster.

When it was for the millennium update the deadline was clear for everyone and corporations and government supported (and funded) the required steps.

But until nobody set a deadline and content / service providers think IPv6 only for new content/services (think if youtube video would be available only in ipv6) I don't see anything good to happen.

• rds100rds100 Member

I've said it before - there is one good way to promote ipv6 and make big hype of it. Google should announce that they will rank higher any website that has a working ipv6 connectivity. They don't really need to rank these sites higher, they just need to say so, even unofficially.
    Imagine all the rush from webmasters then, to get their website on ipv6.

Thanked by 1Liam