Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

When will IPv4 completely fade out in your opinion?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

When will IPv4 completely fade out in your opinion?

klikliklikli Member
edited June 2012 in General

No residential ISP here in Hongkong provides native IPv6 yet.

Comments

• KairusKairus Member

15 years.

• Will IE6 ever fade out? Nope.

Thanked by 2klikli NateN34
  • @klikli said: No residential ISP here in Hongkong provides native IPv6 yet.

Just use HE Tunnel, 3ms ping from any ISP....

• TazTaz Member

Ipv4 will not fade out. I don't see why it should. Just might not be available for mass usage but should be supported by everysingle device.

• jcalebjcaleb Member

but when is the day the ipv6 will be used by everybody? 5 yrs?

Thanked by 3klikli NateN34 SpeedBus
  • klikliklikli Member

@William
    The trash router Netvigator gave me blocks ICMP echo by default and no choice:/

• lbftlbft Member

Of all places in the world, I would've expected HK to be ahead of the curve on IPv6. APNIC has been down to their last /8 for more than a year thanks to the growth explosion going on in China and India. The only allocation you can get out of APNIC since April 2011 is a /22, and you can only get one. Ever.

Thanked by 1klikli
  • BoltersdriveerBoltersdriveer Member, LIR
    edited June 2012

@lbft said: Of all places in the world, I would've expected HK to be ahead of the curve on IPv6. APNIC has been down to their last /8 for more than a year thanks to the growth explosion going on in China and India. The only allocation you can get out of APNIC since April 2011 is a /22, and you can only get one. Ever.

Orly. MyRepublic (AS132047) just started up this year (Actually end-November) and there's quite a few /22's, mostly /24's on it http://bgp.he.net/AS132047

• Probably never fade out.

like dial up.

• @William said: Just use HE Tunnel, 3ms ping from any ISP....

Tell that to people in Australia ;)

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@Boltersdriveer said: Orly. MyRepublic (AS132047) just started up this year (Actually end-November) and there's quite a few /22's, mostly /24's on it http://bgp.he.net/AS132047

Because someone is announcing /24's instead of the aggregated /22 :P

YOU'RE FATTENING THE ROUTING TABLES, MAN.

Francisco

Thanked by 2Liam Boltersdriveer
  • lbftlbft Member
    edited June 2012

@Boltersdriveer said: Orly. MyRepublic (AS132047) just started up this year (Actually end-November) and there's quite a few /22's, mostly /24's on it http://bgp.he.net/AS132047

Looks like four different but related entities each got their /22, then for extra fun assigned some /24s within them to each other. I'm not surprised that companies are playing tiddlywinks with the system, this is pretty much the end of easily being able to get IPs.

As well as using existing subsidiaries/sister companies or setting up new ones I expect there'll be a trade in either buying IPs (if that's allowed) or buying companies with significant IP allocations. That'll surely have a chilling effect on small business, and IPv6 adoption is going terribly slowly :(

• nabonabo Member

@lbft said: there'll be a trade in either buying IPs (if that's allowed)

I guess so.

• @Boltersdriveer said: Orly. MyRepublic (AS132047) just started up this year (Actually end-November) and there's quite a few /22's, mostly /24's on it http://bgp.he.net/AS132047

What the hell is this Internet Exchange, and why the hell does it give out global routes?
    Something is fishy there.

• How is it possible this MyRepublic thing got 4096 IPs from APNIC? As far as I know APNIC completely ran out of IP addresses, why are they throwing them around?

http://wq.apnic.net/apnic-bin/whois.pl?searchtext=AS132047&object_type=aut-num

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@HerrMaulwurf said: How is it possible this MyRepublic thing got 4096 IPs from APNIC? As far as I know APNIC completely ran out of IP addresses, why are they throwing them around?

It's possible multiple companies were formed, given that the names on the blocks aren't the same?

Francisco

• CoreyCorey Member

I don't think it will fade out.

Thanked by 1Taz
  • nabonabo Member

@Corey said: I don't think it will fade out.

Exactly. Why should it fade out? It's perfectly fine for a small internal network.

• CoreyCorey Member

@nabo we still have more ipv4 than they are letting on to, some companies registered HUGE LEGACY blocks for INTERNAL use that they are barely using ... only a matter of time before they are made to return what they aren't using.

We also have several "RESERVED" ipv4 blocks that are reserved for no apparent reason.

• @Corey, lots of those pre-date ARIN (and the other RIRs) and they can't be made to return anything.

• Yup, they are OWNED by the companies that registered them.

• CoreyCorey Member
    edited June 2012

It's bullshit either way :)... why can't we all make them return them? Surely we can just stop routing these ips across the globe and deny them purchase of routable ips?

• yomeroyomero Member

@nabo said: Exactly. Why should it fade out? It's perfectly fine for a small internal network.

This

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited June 2012

@Corey said: why can't we all make them return them?

Because that would be illegal under all RIR policies, back when the RIRs were created it was explcitely included that all legacy blocks will forever be "as is" without any rights to revoke them unless the party returns it himself.

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@William said: illegal under all RIR policies

Policies are make to be broken

Thanked by 2klikli Aldryic
  • WilliamWilliam Member
    edited June 2012

@miTgiB said: Policies are make to be broken

Not this ones, after all the largest IP space owners are the UK (4 /8) and US Military (16 /8 or something around that for Navi/Army/Airforce/SpecOps/Central)

• bijan588bijan588 Member
    edited June 2012

@William said: Not this ones, after all the largest IP space owners are the UK (4 /8) and US Military (16 /8 or something around that for Navi/Army/Airforce/SpecOps/Central)

Do they really need 30 million(or more) ips?

• All big companies should be forced to return their /8 blocks or justify that. Very unfair they sit on their legacy blocks.

• @bijan588 said: Do they really need 30 million(or more) ips?

Actually the US Military's 16 /8s are 270 Million IPs

• @Francisco said: It's possible multiple companies were formed, given that the names on the blocks aren't the same?

Francisco

@Francisco, @HerrMaulwurf: They're actually the same company, MyRepublic Ltd (Another name for it being Republic Telecom). Vertex Building is just the location of the office.