Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Free vps? - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Free vps?

Comments

• yomeroyomero Member

$1 and all your personal information...

• TazTaz Member

Wonder why are they getting ddosed the very first week?

• @NinjaHawk said: Wonder why are they getting ddosed the very first week?

Probably someone didn't like their free offer/promo or was rejected

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Barely need a reason these days. It's kind of pathetic really.

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

@jarland said: Barely need a reason these days. It's kind of pathetic really.

Agree

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@gsrdgrdghd said: Probably someone didn't like their free offer/promo or was rejected

Or they didn't pay their bills <_<

It isn't like fraudsters have a problem finding a card/paypal to pay for $1 in service just to go run around efnet/etc to piss people off.

Francisco

• tommytommy Member

@jarland said: I do really like how HostBill handles the system they use. Was a good choice for that.

yes love that :) but they forget to change their footer

Invoice footer text
  • BluBoyBluBoy Member

Out of curiosity.. How do providers split up a server?
    EG - These guys appear to be running on the U5620 dedicated system here: http://www.multacom.com/dedicated/unix.html

(For the click lazy, this is an 8 core/16 thread, 6GB RAM, 500GB HDD, 100mbps port, 2,500GB bandwidth).

1) How many Xen (on OnApp) VPS's (VPies? VPSessess? VPS'?) could be run on that
    2) What would be a good amount?
    3) How many would you run on it and why (if different to #2)?

My guess... the RAM looks like the fixed bottle neck here. Say 5GB usable by end users, that's 20 x 256MB VPS. Thus everyone gets about 1 CPU thread, and there is HDD space left over for the host OS and any images needed (of which they supply a large list of!)

• Thank you for your interest in our services.

Xen does not allow overselling of Ram therefore allocated resources are dedicated. In regards to CPU, cores are shared however full core burst is supported.

Also we are cloud provider, not a VPS provider. Features such as a centralized storage, high availability, and automatic fail overs do not apply to a traditional VPS.

Regards,
    StyleX Networks

• @stylexnetworks

Xen does allow overselling, and can easily be done. Clearly you are new to the game :)

And its worth noting. the word cloud is nothing more than a marketing term. am sure most users here will agree (Except maybe the ripoff hosts)

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Cloud can mean a bit more than a buzz word. It's been reduced to that in most cases that I've seen, but there are plenty of legitimate uses for the word to refer to functions that reduce one's tether to a single instance on a single machine.

• Yes Xen can be modified to allow overselling of resources (Ballooning), however we as a provider do not oversell our resources.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider
    edited June 2012

@stylexnetworks said: Also we are cloud provider, not a VPS provider. Features such as a centralized storage, high availability, and automatic fail overs do not apply to a traditional VPS.

You'd have to say 'cloud VPS' instead of just 'cloud' then. Last time I checked, a 'cloud' in internet terminology was a schematic symbol to denote 'other stuff on the internet'. And even then, it would be more accurate and clear to say 'redundant VPS' or 'fault-tolerant VPS', rather than using a word ("cloud") that does not have any inherent relationship to the properties of said VPS.

EDIT: This obviously also applies to other 'cloud' providers.

Thanked by 1Liam
  • edited June 2012

@joepie91

We have mentioned specifically cloud VPS on our website.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@stylexnetworks said: @joepie91

We have mentioned specifically cloud VPS on our website.

I was refering to your post above.

• CoreyCorey Member

LOL $1 isn't going to help when we charge 4 times that and still get fraud/abuse

• "Yes Xen can be modified to allow overselling of resources (Ballooning), however we as a provider do not oversell our resources."

So why did you previously say it carn't and how do we know if you oversell or not?

• Xen's default installation does not allow overselling of resources, therefore a modification of the software configuration is required to do so. Any software can be modified to perform as intended with proper knowledge.

Also OnApp does not permit ballooning as they do not support modified hypervisors. Only CPU sharing is allowed.

Thanked by 1klikli
  • dnomdnom Member

@stylexnetworks I see the $1 offer is now over. how long do you intend to keep those $1 vps's alive? I don't think you are overselling at all that's why the $1 offer is even harder to believe. Even the current discounted price are unbelievably low as you said you have (cloud)HA setup etc.

• @dnom

The purpose of our $1 Cloud VPS promotion was to simply give our customers an opportunity to give us a try and to also spread the word around.

"how long do you intend to keep those $1 vps's alive?"

This offer was for a life time subscription at no monthly cost.

Thanked by 3dnom cosmicgate NanoG6
  • BluBoyBluBoy Member
    edited June 2012

As @stylexnetworks is new around here, I'd suggest giving us more information about the company on your website (VPS location, hardware, etc would be a good start!) and also more info in your whois... The low end of town get's burnt from time to time...

I have been testing this box out, and impressed so far. https://www.thriftydevil.com.au/technology/full-review-of-stylexnetworks-xen-onapp-virtual-private-server

• @blueboy Thank you for the extensive review. If anybody has any specific questions about our servers I will be more than happy to answer.

• Just dropping some obligatory vouch to stylexnetworks:

The $1 vps was indeed very very good for it's price. Now I feel bad if I don't get vps from them.

• LAKidLAKid Member

Their vps is very good, it's like kvm setup, actually I bought one more to appreciate their free vps.

Thanked by 1NanoG6
  • NanoG6NanoG6 Member

even though I'm using their free service, their support team answer my ticket quickly (~10 minutes) regarding rDNS request.
    CPU priority indeed a little bit low (more "wa"), but hey, it's XEN and FREE! :)

• yomeroyomero Member

@NanoG6 said: CPU priority indeed a little bit low (more "wa"), but hey, it's XEN and FREE! :)

More wa?
    In Xen the priority is regulated with the "st" statistic IIRC.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

wa = iowait

• yomeroyomero Member

@Francisco said: wa = iowait

Yes I know.
    But what I've seen in my Xen boxes is when your cpu is capped (or overloaded), your %st increases

• tommytommy Member

they server fast :) and I can install Unix/Linux, love them.

• For those who are interested in trying us out, we're offering a 30 day free trial on our starter package (512MB RAM, 40GB HDD, 300GB Bandwidth, 10% vCPU share). One time $1 setup fee to prevent abuse & fraud.