Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why is minecraft a popular game? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Why is minecraft a popular game?

Comments

• @William said: I'm fairly sure i paid in USD

I think it was €

• @William said: I'm fairly sure i paid in USD

Well at least right now its €
    http://www.minecraft.net/store

Also from the Wiki

On 11th December 2010, Notch announced that the game would enter the Beta stage of development on 20th December, at which point the price would increase to €14.95.

• 96mb96mb Member
    edited June 2012

Wow that a lot of fast cash to me made, not bad for a game huh?

So, my understanding so far, Minecraft is popular because:

1. You need to be creative, since there is no defined story lines (unlike CoD)

2. Easy for providers to set up (runs in Linux so a relatively high end LEB would do)

3. Quick cash can be made because people are relatively new to this game

Am I correct?

• @96mb said: Quick cash can be made because people are relatively new to this game

In theory yes however i believe the prices of Minecraft hosters are justified, taking into account that the hosters need some sort of solatium for having to deal with all the kids.

• skagerrakskagerrak Member
    edited June 2012

@gsrdgrdghd said: Well at least right now its €

http://www.minecraft.net/store

Sascha's geiler Bildhost

I guess they know what they're doing and change the currency according to your geo-IP.

• CoreyCorey Member

Minecraft is popular because it is so addicting and fun to build things and interact with the world.

• @liam said: Yeah £ for uk.

That must be recent, I brought it in EURO.

• DomDom Member

Is that a one-off price or is it subscription based?

• CoreyCorey Member

You also have to understand there are these 'griefing' groups that people buy multiple accounts to donate to, and they buy multiple accounts so that when they are banned from a server they can get right back on with a different account.

• regsregs Member

lol I bought it for $10 when it was in alpha just so i could change my skin

• Wolf95Wolf95 Member

It's one of those games were you start playing and you're like "This is so stupid" and then when you start getting the hang of it, you cant' stop. 15 USD was what I paid.

• CoreyCorey Member

@Wolf95 it's easy to boast about your e-peen on that game too when you farm for hours.

• @Corey said: @Wolf95 it's easy to boast about your e-peen on that game too when you farm for hours.

I agree, when i last played Minecraft it was actually just all about ideling next to your exp grinder/farm and throwing a potion every 30 minutes or so. That started to get really boring.

• CoreyCorey Member

I just played minecraft for 5 hours thanks to this thread.

• nabonabo Member

@Corey said: I just played minecraft for 5 hours thanks to this thread.

It's addictive isn't it? I was also like "WTF is Minecraft?" and some days later I was seeing myself hanging for hours in that game. Evil computers!

• 96mb96mb Member

@Corey: LOL, sorry :)

• CoreyCorey Member

@96mb Now I need to resist to play and show off my epeen. Was playing with a tech from linode....

• SpencerSpencer Member
    edited June 2012

@Corey said: Now I need to resist to play and show off my epeen. Was playing with a tech from linode....

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=epeen
    ?

• CoreyCorey Member

@PytoHost yes exactly....

• Yeah, Minecraft is what you make it. It won't lead you through or anything, but there's so much to be done if you look around and find it. And yes, totally addictive. When you have a few friends all playing on a server, there's really no end to the kind of incredible things you can build.

• I was lucky. We had two staff members utterly addicted to the game; between them and the public appearance of the rest of the fanbase, that killed any desire I had to try the game.

Thanked by 1Surge
  • I think CS much more enjoyable, even WOW, though I get the addiction of minecraft, but short of the few monsters in there it lacks any substance for me as you spend all the time building awesome things, then nothing. At least in starcraft you built your base/army up to go attack your enemies or defend against their attacks.

• @taipres said: I think CS much more enjoyable, even WOW, though I get the addiction of minecraft, but short of the few monsters in there it lacks any substance for me as you spend all the time building awesome things, then nothing. At least in starcraft you built your base/army up to go attack your enemies or defend against their attacks.

Guessing you haven't tried any of the mods...

Seriously though, if someone gets bored with just vanilla Minecraft, there is hundreds of mods that can do just about everything.

Thanked by 1Kuro
  • KairusKairus Member

Me and my friends go through phases with minecraft, we'll get bored, play for like two days, blow everyone's shit up, troll, etc. Then we go back to playing what we were before; LoL, CS:GO, etc.

• CoreyCorey Member
    edited June 2012

@William awesome man!

@Kairus LoL ftw.

• KairusKairus Member

@Corey said: @Kairus LoL ftw.

My favorite game of all time. MLG is going on, I don't know if you like, or follow competitive LoL but $40,000 prize pool.

• CoreyCorey Member
    edited June 2012

@Kairus I JUST got into ranked games and I had to get this sucky laptop and my connection sucks now....

I don't follow it too much but I will check it out.

• CoreyCorey Member

@Jack he would probably end up needing a dedicated box then if he opened it to all of us :P

• JTRJTR Member

@William said: Around 2mil before beta - 10$ each

It was actually around 1 mil count when Alpha ended, as far as I remember.. My memory is a little hazy, but I think the millionth sale was in Dec 2010.

@96mb said: Easy for providers to set up (runs in Linux so a relatively high end LEB would do)

Yes and no. The hardware requirements are a pain.

@Corey said: You also have to understand there are these 'griefing' groups that people buy multiple accounts to donate to, and they buy multiple accounts so that when they are banned from a server they can get right back on with a different account.

They crack accounts, only an idiot would buy them (although this reminds me, I met someone who was doing that). I spent a week cracking last Nov and got 1400 working accounts, and while the effectiveness of cracking has gone down recently, you can always phish more accounts (easy to do because of how many kids play this).

@gsrdgrdghd said: I agree, when i last played Minecraft it was actually just all about ideling next to your exp grinder/farm and throwing a potion every 30 minutes or so. That started to get really boring.

Yeah, I'm long-done with the survival aspect of the game. I only find it interesting to administrate, and to build large-scale stuff with worldedit and item spawning. Grinding for materials isn't so much fun anymore, and 1.8 messed up the game too much for my liking.