Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why is minecraft a popular game?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Why is minecraft a popular game?

96mb96mb Member
edited June 2012 in Help

I guess if you have been in the VPS world for more than a few days, you must have seen the word "Minecraft", in fact, it is difficult for me, who frequently come over to LET and WHT, not to see Minecraft for not a single day.

I am not a gamer, but I have seen a few youtube videos about the game. However, does anybody care to explain to me why it is so wildly popular these days? I mean, there are other good games too (used to play COD and before that, CS and I know you could have a game server for those) but why they are much less discussed compare to Minecraft?

Thanked by 2Adam Boltersdriveer

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

I have no idea. It looks like the dumbest game ever made. Play it, you still won't know why it's good, nor will you be able to stop.

Thanked by 1Infinity
  • Hey whatever brings in the money :p

• 96mb96mb Member

@jarland: LOL, I won't go that extreme but I am really curious about it. Or is it because it is just so easy to set up the server that anyone could pay 10 bucks a month to buy a VPS and set up a Minecraft server to make some quick cash?

• 96mb96mb Member

@PytoHost: that is exactly where I failed to understand: HOW?

• @96mb said: that is exactly where I failed to understand: HOW?

Not sure, I don't play it just host it. It makes my computer run to hot :p But I think people like it because you can do almost anything in it via mods. It has a HUGE community which really helps too.

• @PytoHost said: Hey whatever brings in the money :p

This. And since it's summer, I'm sure sales will increase :D

• @lele0108 said: This. And since it's summer, I'm sure sales will increase :D

Yup you know exactly what im talkin about :P My sales have actually risen drastically in the past 2-3 weeks. I would say due to summer. I wish it was always summer then!

• InsidieaInsidiea Member
    edited June 2012

@PytoHost said: you can do almost anything in it

Garry's Mod?
    You can do a whole lot more in it than Minecraft.

• @Insidiea said: Garry's Mod?

You can do a whole lot more in it than Minecraft.

idk ive never plaid that game before. I just know that MC has a huge community I would say one of the largest and people love it for some reason.

• VictorVictor Member

Never played it, never will. I don't get the appeal either, I've seen grown man that's obsessed with Minecraft, and I simply don't get why. :S

• 96mb96mb Member

@PytoHost: LOL, but then we have fans for Britney Spears...that explained a lot :)

• KairusKairus Member

It has a tiny client, it's cheap, and it's fun. Those are the main reasons.

• @Kairus said: It has a tiny client, it's cheap, and it's fun. Those are the main reasons.

It is horribly written though. It is starting to get better but just a bad language.

• KairusKairus Member

@PytoHost said: It is horribly written though. It is starting to get better but just a bad language.

That it is.

• vanarpvanarp Member

Me too as curious as the OP about Minecraft.

Any good pointers to writeup on how to setup a minecraft server for making money?

• This generations version of Lego's? :p

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

Ever played with Legos?

That's why.

Thanked by 1MrDOS
  • JTRJTR Member

Legos with zombies, more blocks, mindstorms-esque components (redstone!), and more. There's a massive community around it, and it's extremely addictive.

Thanked by 1taipres
  • Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

You can't understand the addictive nature of Minecraft until you really start playing it. Once you do, you're hooked : P

• Couldn't one ask this question about any game?

Why is CoD popular? Why is Halo popular? Yada yada yada.

Haters gonna hate.

• VictorVictor Member

@Legendlink said: Couldn't one ask this question about any game?

Why is CoD popular? Why is Halo popular? Yada yada yada.

Haters gonna hate.

But it's easy to understand why people like those games.
    -Good story/plots
    -Better graphics
    -Guns(Need I say more?)

• All I know is Minecraft creator is making BANK, believe I read he makes likes a 100k a week or a month, can't remember, either way that guy never has to work again :)

• @jarland said: It looks like the dumbest game ever made.

Compare this:

to this:

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@taipres said: All I know is Minecraft creator is making BANK, believe I read he makes likes a 100k a week or a month, can't remember, either way that guy never has to work again :)

Man way more than that.... At least during his beta stages he was doing like a half mill - mill a day.

Francisco

• @Francisco said: Man way more than that.... At least during his beta stages he was doing like a half mill - mill a day.

The stats get actually published here. In the last 24 hours he has made ~250k€ o0

• @gsrdgrdghd said: The stats get actually published here. In the last 24 hours he has made ~250k€ o0

I'm in the wrong industry! Lol gees, that's some serious money.

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

Not even counting the sales on the Xbox

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited June 2012

@taipres said: All I know is Minecraft creator is making BANK, believe I read he makes likes a 100k a week or a month

Considering that they sold 6 181 819 copies lets calculate:
    Around 2mil before beta - 10$ each
    Around 2mil at beta - 15$ each
    Around 2mil retail - 20$ each

So lets put it together:
    (2 000 000 * 10) + (2 000 000 * 15) + (2 000 000 * 20) = 90 000 000 USD or 71 965 456 EUR (exchange rate 08.06.12) which is taxed at ca. 30% in Sweden:
    71 965 456 - 21 589 636 = 50 375 820EUR after tax

Now lets split this in months and deduct workforce and hosting costs (assumptions):
    Minecraft is on sale since 06.2010 which are till now exactly 24 months:
    50 375 820 / 24 = 2 098 992EUR monthly

Now we deduct 3 employees at an average salary for a computer programmer in Sweden + 10%: 42240 SEK or 4734EUR:
    2 098 992 - (4734 * 3) = 2 084 790EUR
    Deduct Notchs salary, i guess a flat 10k:
    2 074 790EUR

Now assume the hosting costs at 5000EUR straight (which is likely too high):
    2 074 790 - 5000 = 2 069 790EUR

Office, Travel to conventions etc etc, again 10k EUR per month:
    2 069 790 - 10000 = 2 059 790EUR

This is a profit of 2 059 790EUR per month after tax - or 67 534,0984 per Day - or 2813,92077 per hour - or 46,8986795 per minute - or 0,781644658EUR per second

Of course most of that are assumptions i also did not deduct Swedish VAT which cuts it by another 25% (on around 10% of the sales by guess, since most is likely non-EU) and payment gateway fees etc.
    But it likely is a safe guess that they make a profit of over 1,5mil EUR / month.

Fun calculations:

If they have 25mil on the bank at an average 3% the profit from this alone is yearly 750 000EUR or 62 500EUR before tax per month

To buy a new Porsche valued at 100k EUR Mojang has to work 1,48Days

For a new house valued at 1mil EUR 15days

So yes, indeed very profitable

EDIT:

Ok, i'm dumb - after all this is Sweden and the yearly reports are public:
    http://www.allabolag.se/5568192388/bokslut
    http://www.allabolag.se/5568192388/Mojang_AB
    Shows an income of 61,7 Mil Euro in 2011 and a profit of 5,3 Mil Euro after all costs

• @liam said: Plus remember other sources of revenue: minecon

Minecon was actually a loss, according to Mojang

btw @Will: The prices for Minecraft are in €, not in $

• @gsrdgrdghd said: btw @Will: The prices for Minecraft are in €, not in $

Really?
    I'm fairly sure i paid in USD