Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dedicated Server for virtualization
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Dedicated Server for virtualization

webcraftwebcraft Member
edited July 2014 in Requests

Hello,
I'm looking for a dedicated server. I'm going to is it for virtualization thus a quite high number of cores and not less RAM would be fine. The Uplink should be at least 250MBits. However, it should be less than $25-35/m, payable with paypal. A European location would be nice, but it's not required.

Thanks for your offers and hints to current promotions and discounts.

Comments

• much ram, many cores

Thanked by 2ihatetonyy Mark_R
  • msg7086msg7086 Member
    edited July 2014

much ram, many cores

• @webcraft -- Whatever planet you are from, it's not this one.

• BoxodeBoxode Member

• DelimiterVPS was offering such, right?

Thanked by 1MarkTurner
  • Depends on what 'high number of cores and not less RA' means to you

• I assume they don't offer 20 cores 512G server at 25/mon, even you paid yearly, not even paid tri-yearly.

• Ohh seems there were some misconceptions.. with high ram I mean 16GB+ and with high cores I mean 8+ ;)

• The only one that's close to this is Delimiter @MarkTurner

Thanked by 1MarkTurner
  • Delimiter has their $20 server, you'll see the link in my sig.

• Note that a single HDD is NEVER enough to host customer servers.

DON'T DO IT

• Well, I'd rent a second for raid of course. It's too risky doing it with a single.

• Wow @MarkTurner , that doesn't even pay the electricity on the server! Figure 125 watts x 720 hours x 11.5cents per kwh = $10.35. It then takes about the same amount of power to cool that server. Forget about bandwidth, cost of server, staff time, support, space occupied, etc., it does not pay for itself. Now maybe it makes more sense to get something on an otherwise unused server (the old hotel theory, its always better to have an occupied room, even if its rented cheaply) , but WOW that is an incredible price. Of course the OP wants more but as I said above, he is not from earth.

• @webcraft said:
    Well, I'd rent a second for raid of course. It's too risky doing it with a single.

I'm glad you know that at least, we have a lot of people coming here that don't.

You're going to get terrible performance out of Software RAID1, but it's better than nothing. It might be acceptable if you were using ample caching and had only a few OVZ guests on it, not much more.

A hardware RAID controller with a sizeable onboard cache will greatly improve your performance on small burst writes and repetitive reads, but is in no means a replacement for a real RAID10 server.

For example, if you were to adjust your budget; you can find the following someplaces:

E3-12xx Processor

32 GB DDR3 RAM

4x 500GB/1TB/2TB HDD

Hardware RAID (9260+)

They're not terribly difficult to find, especially if you contact the provider and offer to pre-pay some time, or to take whatever second hand servers they have in stock to get rid of, netting you perhaps a slightly worse processor; but a much happier pocketbook.

• @jnelson3149 said:
    It then takes about the same amount of power to cool that server.

You forget that most datacenters have to run at full cooling and server capacity regardless of their actual usage, which is why most datacenters are stupidly high on power usage compared to other services / industries. Many datacenters have less than a 0.80 PUE, which is frankly the minimum goal line imho, 1.00-ish being the ultimate goal.

• I guess if they have to keep all the cooling running anyway, they lose less money by renting the server than not renting it, but not my favorite business model! I expect we will see more datacenters in the frozen wasteland (following Facebook's lead)

• @GoodHosting said:
    They're not terribly difficult to find, especially if you contact the provider and offer to pre-pay some time, or to take whatever second hand servers they have in stock to get rid of, netting you perhaps a slightly worse processor; but a much happier pocketbook.

Ok, thanks for that hint but who's one of such a provider that's doing this? I mean the big ones are running it as official action like Hetzner does with their market.
    And increasing my budget, $30 would be the maximum.

• @jnelson3149 - 11.5c/KWH, we pay about half that in Atlanta.

• Nevertheless, isn't OneProviders Intel Xeon E3-1230 3.20Ghz for 29€ better than Delimiter's regarding virtualization?

• msg7086msg7086 Member
    edited July 2014

@webcraft said:
    Nevertheless, isn't OneProviders Intel Xeon E3-1230 3.20Ghz for 29€ better than Delimiter's regarding virtualization?

Regarding CPU Performance,

Dual X5150 = 3506
    E3-1230 = 8023

So the E3 will be about twice fast as the dual x5150

• @webcraft - E3-1230 vs X5150 - there is no contest.

Now compare the pricing:

X5150: $20

E3-1230: $39.42 (+VAT) OneProvider is reselling OVH or Online. Not sure what VAT will be applied lets say 20% = $47.30/month

Even without VAT you can buy 2 x X5150 servers for the same price. It depends what you want to do with it. If you want to run a VPS provider, then don't even consider X5150, its unsuitable. If you want something cheap to play with then, its definitely the best value for money.

Delimiter also has an L5420, 16GB, 1TB, /29 for $39/m (paid quarterly)

or L5520, 24GB, 1TB, /29 for $59/m (paid quarterly)

Both of those drop a further $10/month if you pay annually

The advantage is you are not buying from a reseller, you are buying directly.

Delimiter does have E3-1230v3 but $$ See here

• Caveman122Caveman122 Member
    edited July 2014

To be fair oneprovider does have a Intel Xeon E3-1230 3.20Ghz + IPMI Paris, FR for 29 € or $39.42 right now. However, like you said, they are resellers, who knows how long that server is available for and who they are getting it from.

Hard to believe they made a business out of reselling random servers from different providers. I can't imagine the mess that must come with it.

Thanked by 2linuxthefish lazyt
  • And just FYI,

Dual L5520 = 7182

• @MarkTurner said:
    webcraft - E3-1230 vs X5150 - there is no contest.

Now compare the pricing:

X5150: $20

E3-1230: $39.42 (+VAT) OneProvider is reselling OVH or Online. Not sure what VAT will be applied lets say 20% = $47.30/month

Even without VAT you can buy 2 x X5150 servers for the same price. It depends what you want to do with it. If you want to run a VPS provider, then don't even consider X5150, its unsuitable. If you want something cheap to play with then, its definitely the best value for money.

There's no more VAT applying with oneprovider.

• All right, upgraded my budget to $35. Are there any offers matching my needs? Delimiter's CPUs are quite old for that price..

• ZweiTigerZweiTiger Member
    edited July 2014

SoYoustart is bad? 35 eur/month 32GB,8 core,

• It's euro not dollar price. The same price in dollar would be about $50. Too much for now. :/

• @ZweiTiger said:
    SoYoustart is bad? 35 eur/month 32GB,8 core,

With the network you have you add vMac which is a pain in the ass - it's more hassle then worth it with OVH network.

• @MSPNick said:

Then online.net , but the IP is... expensive. Maybe Hetzner or seflow. 3id NL, dont know any new.

• @ZweiTiger said:
    Then online.net , but the IP is... expensive. Maybe Hetzner or seflow. 3id NL, dont know any new.

A lot of providers are now doing Burstnet deals to gain customers - > you may be able to pick up a cheap dedicated server for the same price as burstnet

But for $25-35 a month don't expect the world from support, nor hardware configuration.

Tuxxin Inc are offering this deal over at WHT

2x Xeon Quad Core L5520 (2.27Ghz)
    24Gb DDR3 ECC Memory
    1x 500Gb Hard Drive
    100Mbit Network Port
    3,000Gb Bandwidth
    1 IP Address
    Free Raid 0/1/5*

That's $69/mo

heres the deal link; http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1390950