Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need some people with a Kimsufi server help testing Windows 7 & Server 2008 R2 - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Need some people with a Kimsufi server help testing Windows 7 & Server 2008 R2

Comments

• Win 7 can work with KS-3?

• figurefigure Member

@N0v3mb3r said:
    Win 7 can work with KS-3?

Yes I just did it

Thanked by 1N0v3mb3r
  • @figure said:

great!! thanks.

• XTServersXTServers Member
    edited July 2014

Win 7 should run godlike with KS-3. :)

• akzakz Member

@joodle said:
    New Windows 7 template with the network card drivers has been done building. This template should work with all Kimsufi servers, including the KS-3 (i3) and KS-4 (i5)

PM me or check my website for the install/download command/link

new windows 7 template does not work on D425 KS-1 no response from RDP. The server reboots ok tho, just no connection.

• DavidxDavidx Member
    edited July 2014

Are these even safe / clean ? :p

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • Only kimsufi or would soyoustart work also?

• cassacassa Member

@doughnet said:
    Only kimsufi or would soyoustart work also?

I thinks SYS will work too

• cassacassa Member

@bigdarkmad said:
    I know it is really odd, but what about Win 2003 Datacenter edition or something similar 2003?

Requested it too, I think she's working on it (@joodle sorry for calling you a girl if you aren't, but I thought you are)

• @cassa said:
    Requested it too, I think she's working on it (@joodle sorry for calling you a girl if you aren't, but I thought you are)

He's not a girl. He's a boy with girl tattoos. (HA!)

Thanked by 3netomx mikho matthewvz
  • serverian said: He's not a girl. He's a boy with girl tattoos. (HA!)

Well thank you -.-'

Thanked by 1netomx
  • cassacassa Member

Anyhow, @joodle any updates about 2k3?

• Sorry for bumping..
    @joodle are there any (modded) drivers for the Intel 82579V Gigabit Network Adapter (used in the KS-3 and probaby the Core i5 based ones too) integrated into any of those images..?

ref:
    http://www.ivobeerens.nl/2012/08/08/enable-the-intel-82579v-nic-in-windows-server-2012/
    http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/4025-intel-82579v-nic-on-ga-z77x-ud5h-and-other-motherboards-with-server-oss/

Also.. could you add a Server 2012 (non-R2) image somehow? No one (not even the people wanting money to copy their image onto a server) seems to offer that, which is somewhat annoying as I've got an unused license for that, but not 2012 R2.

• cassa said: Anyhow, @joodle any updates about 2k3?

Been testing a lot, might release it next month

Bambooz said: Sorry for bumping.. @joodle are there any (modded) drivers for the Intel 82579V Gigabit Network Adapter (used in the KS-3 and probaby the Core i5 based ones too) integrated into any of those images..?

Server 2012 R2 isn't working with that drivers, even after adding the right drivers etc.

Windows Server 2008 R2 however IS actually working stable

• noylenoyle Member

Interested, but don't own a Kimsufi server.

• hawchawc Moderator, LIR

I am planning to get a KS4 soon. I would want to use Windows Server 2012 but I presume it is not possible? I can get a key for both through Microsoft Dreamspark so that is not an issue.

• joodle said: Windows Server 2008 R2 however IS actually working stable

Interesting, because someone on the Kimsufi Forum tried all your images and apparently, only Win7/Win8.1 worked.

Here are the basic specs of his KS-3:
    http://i.imgur.com/qs9yMhw.png

And more specifically the motherboard
    http://skinflint.co.uk/a649682.html

http://forum.kimsufi.com/showthread.php?28299-Installing-Windows&p=163646&viewfull=1#post163646

• BamboozBambooz Member
    edited July 2014

joodle said: Only thing i need to know is which motherboard the KS-1 with the D425 uses, would be great of anyone could tell me that :)

Intel D425KT -> http://skinflint.co.uk/a584976.html

joodle said: Can someone with a KS-1 with the Atom D425 CPU do a "lspci | egrep -i 'network|ethernet' " at the terminal? I THINK that it's the same network card as the N2800 but i'm not sure

it most likely isn't, as both the Server 2008 R2 and Win7 images don't work on my old (2012) KS-2G (reboots fine, no ping, no rdp -> no LAN drivers)

Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8101E/RTL8102E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller (rev 05)

Intel has a generic realtek driver pack for just about all Realtek LAN cards used on their boards:
    https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=19393

Here's the pure driver without any other crap unpacked from the setup file above:
    http://pixelbanane.de/yafu/144679177/LAN_allWin7_7.017_PV_RTL.rar

I'm gonna try 2012 R2 and Win8.1 (shudder) just for the heck of it, but even if they work (= Realtek cards are supported) it's pointless as I don't have a license for either of these (I only have licenses for Server 2008, Server 2008 R2 and Server 2012 (non-R2) and the nowadays pointless Server 2003 in various flavors)

• hawchawc Moderator, LIR

@hawc said:
    I am planning to get a KS4 soon. I would want to use Windows Server 2012 but I presume it is not possible? I can get a key for both through Microsoft Dreamspark so that is not an issue.

Sorry, I did not make it clear, would win 2008 work on ks4. Any idea if\when 2012 would work?

• noylenoyle Member

Failed with 7 and Server 2008 R2 on online.net Dedibox SC gen2, but succeeded with Server 2012 R2! Thanks @joodle !

Thanked by 2lipanbaraku Sylmae
  • Could anyone with either a KS-3 or a KS-4 contact me? Need someone to help me testing a new Windows Server 2008 R2 template. Drivers SHOULD be working this time (i hope, big chance though).

• SylmaeSylmae Member
    edited August 2014

noyle said: Failed with 7 and Server 2008 R2 on online.net Dedibox SC gen2, but succeeded with Server 2012 R2! Thanks @joodle !

Thank you so much for your report! Looks like I'm gonna have to keep my eye on online.net from now on.

Only report missing now is if any of these work on SYS...

• Joodle, i can let you test on my ks-4, got the canada one. Pm me about how we do this tests.

• I've just tried out the windows 7 one. Kind of disapointed, it's ultimate not PRO. Don't have ultimate key. :)

• BamboozBambooz Member
    edited August 2014

XTServers said: I've just tried out the windows 7 one. Kind of disapointed, it's ultimate not PRO. Don't have ultimate key. :)

Would've been more intelligent to create a template with Home Premium, so you can upgrade to the edition you want just by entering the appropriate key..

Sylmae said: Thank you so much for your report! Looks like I'm gonna have to keep my eye on online.net from now on.

The Server 2012 R2 image works on any server using the Intel D425KT motherboard (like KS-1 and KS-2 on the Kimsufi side of things). Tried it myself.
    Should also work fine on the Intel D525MW which is identical apart from the CPU (Dualcore Atom D525 vs. Singlecore D425)

Server 2008 R2 and Win7 never responded after rebooting, indicating a lack of realtek network drivers.

• @Bambooz : yea ... that would work too. I was just not interested in Home Premium tho.

• XTServers said: yea ... that would work too. I was just not interested in Home Premium tho.

I meant that you could upgrade the Home Premium 30day trial with your own key (the anytime upgrade "get more features with a new edition of windows" thingy that lets you enter a key of a higher-up windows edition to convert it to that version)

http://informatika11d.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/windows-7-upgrade-1.jpg

If the supplied image was Home Basic for example, you could upgrade to anything higher than that (Home Premium, Professional, Ultimate ... maybe Enterprise too?) with your own key..
    With the image being Ultimate however, you can't just downgrade ..

• I'm working on a Windows 7 Home Premium version now (64 bit)

Anyone that is wanting to help testing the template?

• Since Windows 7 Home Premium doesn't have RDP installed by default it will run UVNC on startup. Password is still "Password147" without quotes.

Template is currently being uploaded and will be ready for install/download soon.

Still need someone with a Kimsufi server (any) who can test if the template works, if you could PM me that would be awesome :)

Thanked by 1netomx
  • BlazeMuisBlazeMuis Member
    edited August 2014

Refreshed my website a bit. A new (detailed with screenshots) tutorial for how to create you own Windows template for a Kimsufi server will show up next week. Keep an eye on my blog/website! :D