Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I'm looking for VPS for Private Torrent-ing
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

I'm looking for VPS for Private Torrent-ing

AvatecerAvatecer Member
edited July 2014 in Requests

as the title says, i'm looking for VPS for about 8-10 people to torrent (I'll install rutorrent,rtorrent there)
Here's the specs (minimum)

1 Core

1 Gigs RAM

100 Gb HDD

100 mbps port (I hope there's unmetered one)

At least 99.95% uptime should be fine

My budget is 10$ not more.

If you have any recommendation please share to me :D
The server has to be located in US/UK

Comments

• ATHKATHK Member

GVH allow torrents, public and private.

• AvatecerAvatecer Member
    edited July 2014

@ATHK said:
    GVH allow torrents, public and private.

Do you have another company recommendation, also I'm looking for 100 mbps unmetered
    But, thanks anyway

• ATHKATHK Member

Oh but they let you go over 1000% resources..

OVH are great, the verification process is slow (week or two) and if you want VAT removed it's also pretty slow..

Online.net may also work for you if you can force a little more $$ out of those pockets - http://www.online.net/en/dedicated-server/dedibox-scg2 - not sure about their stance on torrenting though.

• Thanks for that, it's gonna be better if GVH offers 100mbps unmetered bandwidth

• Write in support of your request for VPS and add the discount code - I think I'll be happy to oblige ;)

discount code: xkse

http://www.hukot.net/en/virtual-servery/

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited July 2014

said: At least 99.95% uptime should be fine

99.90%, on the other hand, would not be?

• @rm_ said:
    99.90%, on the other hand, would not be?

I think it just fine,
    I'm still looking, as i require 100 mbps bandwidth with unlimited transfers

• rds100rds100 Member

Get a Kimsufi and move on.

• BayuBayu Member

said: i'm looking for VPS for about 8-10 people to torrent

That will only make node suffer (high i/o wait). For multiple torrent users better to use dedicated server rather than vps.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

GVH doesn't allow public torrent

• @rds100 said:
    Get a Kimsufi and move on.

Kimsufi seems good, but I've seen a lot of "verification" things, actually i don't know what does that mean

@Bayu said:
    That will only make node suffer (high i/o wait). For multiple torrent users better to use dedicated server rather than vps.

I see, i'm about to get Kimsufi, but I don't know about verification things

@netomx said:

I'm not going with GVH then :) also i need 100mbps unmetered :)

• ATHKATHK Member

@netomx said:

Wrong..

• @netomx said:

In my experience they do. I've never had any complaints, although I don't torrent 24/7 on my box.

AFAIK, they don't allow it. I tried ONCE to download a file, and they suspended it. They told me I received a DCMA letter. I have stopped torrenting from there

• ATHKATHK Member

@netomx said:
    AFAIK, they don't allow it. I tried ONCE to download a file, and they suspended it. They told me I received a DCMA letter. I have stopped torrenting from there

Did you deal with the letter and what was the result of said dealings?

@ATHK said:

I can't tell, but I stopped torrenting, so I think it worked :P

• ATHKATHK Member

@netomx said:
    I can't tell, but I stopped torrenting, so I think it worked :P

You're probably safe to continue, if you wanted to.. GVH doesn't seem to give a rats arse about their client experience.

@ATHK said:

nah, I payed annually, so I prefer to use it as a storage box rather than a torrent box.

btw, I was thinking to get the 1TB storage offer from the other thread + sshfs + a romanian vps with rutorrent... seems good, isnt it?

• yywudiyywudi Member
    edited July 2014

I use private torrenting in GVH for months, no DMCA complain at all.
    @ATHK, so you finally got that GVH 200G $30/y plan ? will that plan be available when they decide to move to CC?

@netomx, where is the romanian vps thread?

• ATHKATHK Member

@yywudi said:
    I use private torrenting in GVH for months, no DMCA complain at all.
    ATHK, so you finally got that GVH 200G $30/y plan ? will that plan be available when they decide to move to CC?

I never got it.. he never replied...

• NekkiNekki Veteran

I've raised a ticket with them asking if I can torrent from a semi-private tracker - might as well do something with that yearly, and seeding unlicensed anime fan subs seems a relatively DCMA-friendly usage.

• yywudiyywudi Member

@ATHK said:
    I never got it.. he never replied...

as he was banned……

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep

Client: can I conduct illegal activities on your network?

Provider: yeah sure, we don't mind, just make sure you respond to complaints!

Too bad, provider is liable if they know about what client is doing.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

Just had a reply from support; GVH are fine with legal torrenting; your could choose to infer from that statement that so long as you don't end up with a DCMA notice, you'll not have too much of an issue with them; although at no point did they state that as fact.

Have at it, if you dare...

• ChanChan Member

If you're really that bothered about being DMCAed, you can always setup an IPv6 tunnel and torrent just via IPv6

• CakeyCakey Member

@ATHK said:
    Oh but they let you go over 1000% resources..

OVH are great, the verification process is slow (week or two) and if you want VAT removed it's also pretty slow..

Online.net may also work for you if you can force a little more $$ out of those pockets - http://www.online.net/en/dedicated-server/dedibox-scg2 - not sure about their stance on torrenting though.

Ovh's verification took me like 2 hours as they only asked me to send my passport via email.

Online.net is a dream as they have a great network, but if u mess up the auto payment system they won't help you nor redo the invoice thus they will just terminate your server after a few days. But oh well, I still use them.

And they do not honestly care about torrenting it seems nor if u install your own version of Windows (One staff even said, "if we don't know that you're using your own windows license why should we care" on wht)

Used mine for about 3 months now with a total of 15 TB downloaded and 3 TB uploaded.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/3602973028.png (Currently uploading so it's actually more)

http://www.speedtest.net/result/3602975564.png (To Norway)

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • @Nekki said:
    I've raised a ticket with them asking if I can torrent from a semi-private tracker - might as well do something with that yearly, and seeding unlicensed anime fan subs seems a relatively DCMA-friendly usage.

I downloaded Watch_Dogs on day 1 from a public tracker and uploaded 250GB+ and didn't get so much as a notice from them.

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

@hostnoob said:
    I downloaded Watch_Dogs on day 1 from a public tracker and uploaded 250GB+ and didn't get so much as a notice from them.

Self incrimination is going well for you?

• Is this on a the "Premium 150 Mbit/s" plan?

• CakeyCakey Member

@linuxthefish said:
    Is this on a the "Premium 150 Mbit/s" plan?

Yup.