Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LEB impression counts are seriously down. - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

LEB impression counts are seriously down.

13»

Comments

• @GoodHosting said:
    I would assume since it's the ad system counting it; it would rely on both JavaScript and an Ad Blocker not being used. So I could see why it wouldn't count half as many people as say, CloudFlare itself would show.

Does it count GVH continuously refreshing the page?

• GoodHostingGoodHosting Member
    edited June 2014

@concerto49 said:
    Does it count GVH continuously refreshing the page?

I see what you did there.

I would assume CloudFlare would [ but it differentiates between Unique and non-unique visitors. ] I'm not sure about BSA though, I would assume that it would only count unique visitors per 24 hours [ as per what most other ad companies do. ]

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

@AnthonySmith said:
    jbiloh I think you need to double check your numbers, I have just shown evidence that traffic is seriously down and continuing to go down on LEB, not once this year has it been up month by month.

We pull our data from Google analytics.

• @jbiloh said:

Consider pulling data from CloudFlare instead, Google Analytics relies on all of the following:

• JavaScript be enabled on the browser
    • Browser not rejecting advertisements [adblock blocks it sometimes]
    • Browser not using any sort of "disconnect.me" or related privacy extensions.

Whereas CloudFlare builds it's statistics out of connections it passes through.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

@jbiloh said:

How do you explain the difference then?

(not looking for an argument but they cant both be right)

• @AnthonySmith said:
    (not looking for an argument but they cant both be right)

AdBlock Plus [firefox] will block BSA but not GA

AdBlock Edge [firefox] will block both BSA and GA

AdBlock Plus [chrome] will block BSA but not GA

AdBlock Free [chrome] won't block either (lol)

There's lots of different handling.

• emilvemilv Member

Does anyone pay attention to those ads? I dont. :)

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • DylanDylan Member

@AnthonySmith said:
    How do you explain the difference then?

People have already said this, but ad blockers. About 20% of visitors on an average website use ad blockers, and that number can be much, much higher for sites with highly technical audiences.

• GoodHosting said: AdBlock Plus [firefox] will block BSA but not GA

AdBlock Edge [firefox] will block both BSA and GA

AdBlock Plus [chrome] will block BSA but not GA

AdBlock Free [chrome] won't block either (lol)

I have AdBlock Free [Chrome]. Blocks BSA fine.

@Dylan said:
    People have already said this, but ad blockers. About 20% of visitors on an average website use ad blockers, and that number can be much, much higher for sites with highly technical audiences.

Right I understand that but my point is that it should be relative no? from 130,000 down to 40,000 .... or are you saying/ suggesting that the amount of people using ad blockers has gone up by 50% +

The amount of ad positions has also more than doubled due to demand. The click through rates on the LEB ads are so high that demand is very strong. You can't get that kind of ad value on any other site I know of.

edited June 2014

@jbiloh said:
    The amount of ad positions has also more than doubled due to demand. The click through rates on the LEB ads are so high that demand is very strong. You can't get that kind of ad value on any other site I know of.

Understood.

My point really is that the impressions has halved as a result, the demand I would have thought would be driven by the amount of impressions delivered and what I am saying is that you have made existing customers pay more per impression (400% more).

I don't know, my mind works on making numbers fit I suppose I need to also equate for the "because people will pay anyway" factor :)

Maybe you should double the number of ad slots again and use some of the revenue to build the content back up so that the impressions delivered is back to where it was 2 years ago.

We've actually offered to pay writers recently for content, and do not intend on increase the ad slots furthers to pay for it.

Creating high value content has been a goal for the past year as Maarten can attest but his other responsibilities on the site make it difficult to write more than one or two a month.

Thanked by 1Liam

Sure, I understand that, just saying the view from a customer perspective does not necessarily get mitigated by overall google stats.

I dropped Maarten a message offering to write some things earlier today, happy to try and push the numbers up as it benefits me directly as a result.

There is a line though, if the numbers continue to drop past the point of value the churn will go up first then the numbers will tail off so much that you will end up with empty ad spots (a few are already it seems) compared to 2 years ago when the waiting list was months.

I'd say the reduction in comments is because a lot of discussion has transitioned to let.

@liam perhaps you would be interested in writing some articles? :)

• blackblack Member

@jbiloh said:
    We've actually offered to pay writers recently for content, and do not intend on increase the ad slots furthers to pay for it.

Creating high value content has been a goal for the past year as Maarten can attest but his other responsibilities on the site make it difficult to write more than one or two a month.

More moderators on LET to reduce the load for Maarten on the forum. There needs to be a lot more content on LEB. Hell Jon, I'm sure you have some cool tricks with servers, write something :P

• For every 100 visits to LET I'd guess I visit LEB once. I usually go there when I need a specific location, but some are very outdated.

Maybe more can be done to encourage offers from locations such as Netherlands and Sweden.

Its not terrible but LEB is also not as mobile friendly as the LET forum.

• @black said:
    More moderators on LET to reduce the load for Maarten on the forum. There needs to be a lot more content on LEB. Hell Jon, I'm sure you have some cool tricks with servers, write something :P

I've currently got one offer from a respected member here to write some content. I hope that works out. I've also sent Jon a proposal today with an idea that would increase the content on LEB.

• mpkossenmpkossen Member
    edited June 2014

@badpatrick said:
    For every 100 visits to LET I'd guess I visit LEB once. I usually go there when I need a specific location, but some are very outdated.

Maybe more can be done to encourage offers from locations such as Netherlands and Sweden.

Its not terrible but LEB is also not as mobile friendly as the LET forum.

Mobile friendliness is something I could work on, though I think it would require a re-build of the entire UI.

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

Well I use an ad blocker. And I never click on ads. If I see something interesting I open a new tab and find it in Bing.

@jbiloh @mpkossen

How about this is a solution (just trying to be practical)

http://i.imgur.com/PTmaDeD.png

With some simple enough alterations (as shown in the image) you can increase your ad real estate, give your colocrossing logo a more prominent position and give better value for money to your advertisers, it costs you nothing and makes a more desirable ad spot through increased impressions.

No one loses in this scenario.

Anyway not going to push it any further just offering a possible solution that works for everyone at the cost of 30 minutes max of css edits.

• colmcolm Member

One idea for increasing LEB traffic is to add a feed of the latest three LEB posts on the LET sidebar.