Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LEB impression counts are seriously down. - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

LEB impression counts are seriously down.

Comments

• So, how do you guys, more specifically our longer-term members, think we can make LEB more interesting for you?

• petrispetris Member

@mpkossen said:
    So, how do you guys, more specifically our longer-term members, think we can make LEB more interesting for you?

I don't think that I'm considered "longer-term", however it would be nice if it were a news site that happens to post offers vs. an offers site that happens to post news and other things. I might actually add it to my news reader in that case rather than browsing once every few months or so.

• blackblack Member

@mpkossen said:
    So, how do you guys, more specifically our longer-term members, think we can make LEB more interesting for you?

Right now, I see it as just offers and tutorials.

I'd read LEB if it focused more on

• Optimization related tutorials to reduce resource usage. Show what cool stuff you can do with a 64-128 MB RAM server.
    • Community Projects
    • News like expansions and stuff or even bad news about a host
    • Deadpool posts are a must. I'd say once a month or as soon as 3 hosts that LE{B,T} users use deadpools.
    • More content in general. Posts are being pushed out every 2-3 days, which isn't very much. I'd say twice a day is even fine. If you want more exposure to hosts that advertise on LEB, sticky that offer for a day or so.
    Thanked by 1souen
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited June 2014

mpkossen said: So, how do you guys, more specifically our longer-term members, think we can make LEB more interesting for you?

Without changing the current concept significantly (I don't think it needs to be changed):

• More posts;
    • Less OpenVZ and more Xen/KVM;
    • More non-US locations.

Oh and bring back the ability to comment on a post and subscribe to all further comments on that post to be sent via E-Mail. Recently I've been absolutely shocked to see that this does not seem to be possible anymore. How the hell are we supposed to discuss anything in the comments on a longer-term scale (over a couple of days, or a week), if there's no function to follow the post for new replies? Manually visit every post from time to time to check for new replies? No thanks. The comments portion is completely disfunctional without that.

Thanked by 3earl Mark_R imchandave
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

@mpkossen said:

Prove you intend to by reducing the prices again and building the price back up along side the impressions.

• LeeLee Veteran

Stop advertising then. Whilst you may not be happy I will bet someone will take you slot without any fuss.

That is really what this comes down to. Fine if your business was really that important then you might have an argument however not sure why any site that has an advertising revenue stream would reduce pricing when demand exceeds availability.

Sure you can go all righteous and say it's wrong to get more expensive when impressions go down so much, but did I mention demand exceeding availability.

@W1V_Lee said:

You are right, I probably will do that.

• @rds100 said:
    Maybe more and more people are blocking the banners?

What banners?

@mpkossen said:

Do this:

@rm_ said:

>

More posts;

Less OpenVZ and more Xen/KVM;

More non-US locations.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Just for the case, ChicagoVPS can you cofirm this with this ad's or is it even worse?

• black said: I'd read LEB if it focused more on

• Optimization related tutorials to reduce resource usage. Show what cool stuff you can do with a 64-128 MB RAM server.

This. I think I originally found LEB because of the tutorial on how to host WordPress on a 64/128MB server.

Get a bit geekier. Show me how I can get the most out of my boxes with low end alternatives for web servers/IRC/whatever.

@mpkossen Think about how you can increase value for advertisers. ie. If you did a tutorial on how to setup an IRC server, feature those advertisers that allow IRC in that post.

Thanked by 1souen

@Infinity580 said:
    Just for the case, ChicagoVPS can you cofirm this with this ad's or is it even worse?

The drop in numbers could well be due to all the free CC special relationship hosts adding extra advert space.

• time for web redesign maybe?

• AnthonySmith said: The drop in numbers could well be due to all the free CC special relationship hosts adding extra advert space.

Well, there use to be 18-24 125x125 ads on the sidebar before and now there is 32 in rotation hence why its dropped significantly.

• DylanDylan Member
    edited June 2014

@mpkossen said:

Content is king and there isn't enough content. It goes without saying that more non-offer posts (industry news is an easy one) would be ideal, but you need to post more stuff period, even if at least for now that just means more offers. Right now there's little point in visiting more than once or twice a week.

@INIZ said:
    Well, there use to be 18-24 125x125 ads on the sidebar before and now there is 32 in rotation hence why its dropped significantly.

Right, so it was a conscious decision then. there you go @mpkossen that is the fix.

• People also using Ad-Blockers?

• wychwych Member

@eddynetweb said:
    People also using Ad-Blockers?

A large portion do, I however do not.

• c0yc0y Member

Especially featuring community projects, that is solely open source, would be a big plus as it encourages that person to continue and for more community resources.

• @wych said:
    A large portion do, I however do not.

Same, I believe it slows Internet innovation, since projects and such rely on ads for funding.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @AnthonySmith said:
    Right, so it was a conscious decision then. there you go mpkossen that is the fix.

You mean to make less money? Nice fix.

@concerto49 said:
    You mean to make less money? Nice fix.

Nope, I mean make some amendments to the layout to decrease rotation by increasing units per rotation.

• marrcomarrco Member

mpkossen said: So, how do you guys, more specifically our longer-term members, think we can make LEB more interesting for you?

be different from WHT and better than the-other-board-we-can't-name-here

seriously LEA and old contributors taught me many things, even offers were researched and often contained interesting technical details. Now this is just a marketplace with many low quality comments. Bring back the technical savvy contributors and silence summerhosts and kids.

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

Traffic on leb is about even to up ten percent over a year and traffic to let is up dramatically.

Obviously we want our users to feel interested and we want to provide the best industry/community experience possible. We are open to all suggestions and will consider them seriously.

Maarten could use a hand with content creation etc, if anyone is interested please reach out to him, we are happy to pay for solid effort.

@jbiloh I think you need to double check your numbers, I have just shown evidence that traffic is seriously down and continuing to go down on LEB, not once this year has it been up month by month.

Thanked by 1Spencer
  • wychwych Member

@AnthonySmith said:
    jbiloh I think you need to double check your numbers, I have just shown evidence that traffic is seriously down and continuing to go down on LEB, not once this year has it been up month by month.

Guess more people use adblockers?

Thanked by 1Dylan
  • NekkiNekki Veteran

Personally, I only visit LEB when I see a post via twitter these days; the conversation there is pretty slow usually, so I don't bother going back to see if there are more comments too often.

Given the high churn of offers on LET, I can see why it's dying.

• Perhaps do a monthly contest every now and then

• wych said: Guess more people use adblockers?

Or are we talking about unique traffic? It all depends on how it's even counted.

• wychwych Member

@concerto49 said:
    Or are we talking about unique traffic? It all depends on how it's even counted.

That too.

• @wych said:
    That too.

I would assume since it's the ad system counting it; it would rely on both JavaScript and an Ad Blocker not being used. So I could see why it wouldn't count half as many people as say, CloudFlare itself would show.