Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Regarding: LowEndTalk Signature Rules - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Regarding: LowEndTalk Signature Rules

Comments

• @vedran said:
    Crap, I just realized my signature is against the rules

So we have moderators who don't know the rules? Well, that's a tacky communication, then. No pun intended, it's just something that makes me wonder.

• vedranvedran Veteran

DennisdeWit said: So we have moderators who don't know the rules

And where did I say I don't know the rules?

• It's fine, don't change it.

• jhjh Member

I'm concerned for the businesses on here whose representatives feel that they need to have an "abnormal" signature of any sort.

Thanked by 3netomx mikho Nekki
  • This is actually my signature.

• @0xdragon said:
    This is actually my signature.

Nope, it's pulled by quote :).

• @GoodHosting said:
    Nope, it's pulled by quote :).

I have been foiled! :O

• soulchiefsoulchief Member
    edited June 2014

Looks like signatures with center tags are being changed. Whats the difference between using spaces to manually center it, and the html center tag? Can spaces be used or is that disallowed?

Manually Centered

• GoodHostingGoodHosting Member
    edited June 2014

@soulchief said:
    Looks like signatures with center tags are being changed. Whats the difference between using spaces to manually center it, and the html center tag? Can spaces be used or is that disallowed?

The only HTML you are allowed to use it to make text bold, italic, underlined, to strike something through, or to add a hyperlink. Any other HTML, CSS, images, or other media are not allowed. This includes giving color to text or making it stand out more than normal content.

They do say we shouldn't have anything like that. [HTML at least.]

• spaces aren't html though, so based on the current rules it should be allowed.

• @soulchief said:
    spaces aren't html though, so based on the current rules it should be allowed.

True, but that's just circumvention at that point, no ?

• NekkiNekki Veteran

Easy solution - disallow advertising in sigs. Then no-one will give two shits anymore.

Thanked by 1Dylan
  • @Nekki said:
    Easy solution - disallow advertising in sigs. Then no-one will give two shits anymore.

All I want is to have it be like this:

Acting Director of Albino Geek Services Ltd. KeybaseGoodHosting.co | Enterprise KVM VPS

Instead of this:

Acting Director of Albino Geek Services Ltd. My Keybase ID ( gh )
    GoodHosting.co | Enterprise KVM Virtual Private Servers

It just looks cleaner if it's on one line. It doesn't matter if it's a link or not, LET (smartly) adds a rel="nofollow" to anything in your signature / posts, so you can't get any SEO / backlinks out of it anyways.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

None of that matters to me. If people can't be trusted to have nice things, remove the reason they have to piss about with the aforementioned nice thing. Simple, effective, sexy.

Thanked by 1Dylan
  • nerouxneroux Member

@GoodHosting I take it you were directly referring to my previous signature. I realise that it did violate the current signature rules by centering and right-aligning text, however I'd nonetheless argue that it was reasonable, as it was for aesthetic reasons and was not abusive in my humble opinion.

Regardless of this I'd still vote for an update of the signature rules as they are now rather ambigious and possibly open for interpretation.

It says

Signatures may contain only text, with a maximum of two lines, and hyperlinks, with a maximum of three in total. The only HTML you are allowed to use it to make text bold, italic, underlined, to strike something through, or to add a hyperlink. Any other HTML, CSS, images, or other media are not allowed.

The way I'd understand (and interpret :) ) it would be that only <a> <b>, <i>, <u> and <del> are permitted (without any further style attribute and only the href attribute for the anchor) and nothing else, not even their respective CSS counterparts in a <span> for example. Is this correct?

Under these assumptions I am afraid even my current signature would be in violation as I am using a CSS style to decrease the font size.

I am in full support of

Spirit said: Be reasonable and this is it.

as I also believe rules should be flexible enough to allow people to move within a reasonable area but at the same time you will unfortunately always find people who abuse it (the relative positioning for example) and because of this I would vote for flexibility but yet clear rules. Is aligning bad/not desired? The same for decreasing the font?

Thanks for any clarification.

• wychwych Member

Goodhosting, thats why I no longer have a sig.

• NekkiNekki Veteran
    edited July 2014

neroux said: Regardless of this I'd still vote for an update of the signature rules as they are now rather ambigious and possibly open for interpretation.

Why would you consider them ambiguous? They seem very specific to me, and your interpretation is spot on, so the rules seems to have worked in your case even if you've chosen not to follow them.

• nerouxneroux Member

Nekki said: Why would you consider them ambiguous?

Because they leave the impression to be rather liberal (Be reasonable and this is it) but in the end seem to be quite restrictive, without being (regularly) enforced.

Nekki said: They seem very specific to me, and your interpretation is spot on

So then decreasing the font is also in violation of the rules, correct?

• NekkiNekki Veteran

neroux said: Because they leave the impression to be rather liberal (Be reasonable and this is it) but in the end seem to be quite restrictive, without being (regularly) enforced.

IMO the rules are pretty clear on what HTML you can use, that's fairly cut and dried IMO - where interpretation comes in is how you use that HTML.

neroux said: So then decreasing the font is also in violation of the rules, correct?

It is.

Now, this is where people being dicks comes into play. If everyone could just follow the edict 'don't make your signature stand out more than regular content', then IMO there's not an issue really in how you get your sig to look the way it does - I personally don't give a toss if you use CSS rather than HTML to underline or whatever. However, we do need a 'written' rule so that when people start being arses we have something to point to and say 'follow this'.

In terms of enforcing, I can only speak for myself, but when I notice a signature violates the rules (or someone flags the sig and I respond to the flag), I mention it to the user and ask them to change it.

• nerouxneroux Member

Nekki said: IMO the rules are pretty clear on what HTML you can use, that's fairly cut and dried IMO - where interpretation comes in is how you use that HTML.

My comment was rather about the impression the LET signature approach left in comparison with the actually effective rules.

Be reasonable and this is it comes across as rather liberal where one is free in the way he sets up his signature as long as it is not obnoxiously annoying (something, for example, I wouldnt call text aligning), but as it turned out the signature is limited to plain text and five plain tags.

Nekki said: It is.

Now, this is where people being dicks comes into play. If everyone could just follow the edict 'don't make your signature stand out more than regular content', then IMO there's not an issue really in how you get your sig to look the way it does - I personally don't give a toss if you use CSS rather than HTML to underline or whatever. However, we do need a 'written' rule so that when people start being arses we have something to point to and say 'follow this'.

As it is, my current signature violates the rule as it uses CSS to decrease the font size. On the other hand however, a decreased font can hardly stand out more. This is where my confusion and the mentioned ambiguity comes in.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@neroux To be honest, I think we're just going back over the same ground again.

I don't know what people really expect, there are some rules, that you know are currently loosely enforced, along with a forum admin asking everyone to be reasonable. If that isn't enough I'm not sure what is; I mean, if you want to do something that's a bit different and you're not sure if it is 'reasonable', how hard is to ask a mod/admin first?

If we have to get to the point of having strict guidelines because people can't 'be reasonable', I'd personally vote in favour of removing signatures altogether, it doesn't doesn't seem something that's worth the effort, and I can go back to disabling them.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

I vote I have no opinion because I can convey my message in any form, even 2 words, if needed and also, if nobody has a signature, I live with that. This is about content and ideas, not form and rules about it.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@Maounique said:
    I vote I have no opinion because I can convey my message in any form, even 2 words, if needed and also, if nobody has a signature, I live with that. This is about content and ideas, not form and rules about it.

Mate, I don't think you have ever conveyed anything in just 2 words - that's just not Mao.

Thanked by 20xdragon alexh
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

wanna bet?

Thanked by 2ihatetonyy Infinity
  • Our word for today is: pedant.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

I vote for member_no_signature

• @Maounique said:
    wanna bet?

• @GoodHosting your profile picture creeps me out.

• @MikHo said:
    I vote for member_no_signature

Your signature is a violation, it is three lines long.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@GoodHosting said:
    Your signature is a violation, it is three lines long.

Even on my ipad it's two lines.