Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What do you want from a LowEnd VPS... - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What do you want from a LowEnd VPS...

2»

Comments

• @rm_ said:
    "So by your logic you don't have privacy on a dedicated server either?

If the appropriate steps are not taken, yes. You can ask someone who works in financial IT if you don't believe me.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

Microlinux said: If the appropriate steps are not taken, yes. You can ask someone who works in financial IT if you don't believe me.

You're not kidding, I've seen the stuff that goes on for banks who have servers external to their own DC's. Serious stuff.

• PwnerPwner Member

@rm_ @Microlinux

To be honest, anything that's connected to the Internet has no privacy anymore. If anything has access to a public domain (Internet) then it means that someone can and will eventually gain access to it, whether it be a visitor, ISP, or the NSA.

• AThomasHoweAThomasHowe Member
    edited June 2014

With any rented server it'd probably be easier -and sneakier - to sniff traffic, though. It's not like it's easy to get data on a rented server without using the internet with most providers.

Edit: assuming you're a 3 letter agency who could crack either disk or network encryption.

• MicrolinuxMicrolinux Member
    edited June 2014

@Pwner said:
    rm_ Microlinux

To be honest, anything that's connected to the Internet has no privacy anymore.

Pretty much. There's real danger in mis-interpreting the concept of privacy. People hate to hear they don't have privacy.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

rm_ said: Nah, if it really was 2014

It really is 2014.

• Native IPv6 with whole subnets! rDNS with it, or just TUN/TAP and i'll be good with that.

• Some interesting feedback here, thanks.

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@sc754 said:
    Xen PV would be nice, seems like far to many providers are stuck using Openvz. When will ramnode offer Xen PV?? Nick_A

If demand were ever high enough, we'd do it. KVM seems to be fine for those who don't want OpenVZ, though.

• The thing i want from lowend providers is:

Awesome as RamNode! @Nick_A

Thanked by 1Nick_A
  • Mark_RMark_R Member
    edited June 2014

Reliability is the most important thing to me, I prefer it being offered through KVM, XEN, VMWare Virtualization.

• souensouen Member
    edited June 2014

Nice to have, not required:

• Less common locations (besides US/UK/DE)
    • KVM/XEN
    • IPv6 support
    • More RAM but smaller disk option (or vice versa)

Other characteristics I usually look for:

• Relatively stable network. I could settle for a service that runs as advertised with slower support response time if I don't have to trouble support at all. A network status feed in case there are problems. Some providers probably don't like to use one because a history of outages might reflect poorly on the company, but they would save the customers time ticketing support. As a potential customer checking the sales portal I see it as a reassuring sign that the provider is active.

• Friendly TOS. I tend to avoid providers that include "we reserve the right to inspect your vps" clauses, or terminate accounts without giving the customer a chance to work with the provider should there be an issue. Conveniently, AUP written in a specific manner (e.g. "max load not exceeding x/hour" compared to "high load") to set clear expectations.

Hope that's not too much to ask of a LEB.

• jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited June 2014

Uptime and stability

Low prices

Fair connectivity to EU and US

Decent support (and quick support in issues like server is down)

Friendly approach to the client

• BayuBayu Member
    edited June 2014

Network & Node Uptime

Lower price

High Bandwidth

More RAM and CPU Core

Singapore location or other location with latency no more than 100 ms to my country.

Any type of virtualization (kvm, xen, or openvz) is accepted

SSD and large storage capacity is optional

• J1021J1021 Member
    edited June 2014

Stable performance (i.e. VMs limited to 100Mb/s with node connected at 1Gb/s)

Responsive support

UK Locations

Open and honest staff

Good history

• i83i83 Member

Thanks for all the feedback everyone!