Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What do you want from a LowEnd VPS...
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What do you want from a LowEnd VPS...

i83i83 Member
edited June 2014 in General

As the title said, we are looking at what to offer our clients moving further into 2014.

Based on previous feedback and speaking with customers you want:

~SSD

~DDoS Protection

~More IPv6

~More Unique Locations (Not Buffalo/Dallas/NYC)

~Offloaded Services (DNS/MySQL)

~Lower Prices (Well some of you!)

Simply put what would you want from a LowEnd box that you haven't got yet or had just how you wanted previously?

Thanked by 1sz1hosting

Comments

• trexostrexos Member

More unique locations, non US locations.

Thanked by 1sirmbhe
  • So cheap and resource rich that I have no choice but to impulse buy and never actually use.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • More unique locations. Non US locations and no ColoCrossing locations.

1. Uptime
    2. Decent Support
    3. Offloaded MySQL will be fantastic
    4. Less Swapyness
    Thanked by 2khav eddynetweb
  • wcypierrewcypierre Member
    edited June 2014

Lower prices, if not how can I build my empire of VPSes?

• i83i83 Member

@wcypierre said:
    Lower prices, if not how can I build my empire of VPSes?

We already drove prices down to .50c a month how much lower do you want us to go?

• @i83 said:
    We already drove prices down to .50c a month how much lower do you want us to go?

.01c lol

• netrixnetrix Member
    1. Uptime
    2. Offloaded Services
    3. SSD
    4. More vCore
    5. Fast ticket response
  • @i83

TUN/TAP in IPv6 BG and I'm happy.

• i83i83 Member

@salakis said:
    i83

TUN/TAP in IPv6 BG and I'm happy.

Noted.

• bobbybobby Member

Some privacy, ie xen or kvm.
    Except a very few use cases, ovz is a deal breaker for me.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited June 2014
    1. KVM;
    2. Uncommon locations, i.e. non US/EU;
    3. Proper IPv6 deployment, i.e. a routed /56 or /48 (ideally with rDNS delegated to my nameservers).

(actually #3 is a bit at odds with #2, because if I'm to use a VPS for IPv6 tunneling, then it'll have to be in EU).

• tehdantehdan Member

+1 for proper IPV6

• +1 for proper IPv6

• @bobby said:
    Some privacy, ie xen or kvm. Except a very few use cases, ovz is a deal breaker for me.

Don't fool yourself into thinking Xen or KVM offer privacy.

• Stable networking and uptime (looking at buyvm's old switch
    • CPU Performance (don't care num of cores
    • SSD Cached (with not-so-poor performance
    • Some IPv6

Offloaded SQL is something I was looking for, but after several table crashes on buyvm's MySQL server I decide to go with self-hosted database.

And hope to get more deals in seattle/fremont area for better latency to Asia.

• ciderocidero Member
    • unmetered bandwidth
    • IPv6
    • KVM or Xen (instead of OpenVZ/Virtuozzo)
    • a normal I/O performance, not ridiculous low as on some hosts
  • bobbybobby Member

@Microlinux said:
    Don't fool yourself into thinking Xen or KVM offer privacy

Note the 'some' part.

• edited June 2014

1) Reliability. This is both uptime, but also stability of resources. I don't want a 10Gbps line today, and an overloaded 33.6kpbs line tomorrow. Give me a reliable 5Mbps line every day and I'm happy. I don't want 100% uptime this week, and 33.4592% uptime next week, and 69.294% the following, and 99.993% the following. Give me a stable 99.9% or better uptime and I"m happy.

2) Don't change IPs and/or Datacenters on me. Give me a clean IP, and leave it with me for the duration of my stay.

3) A pricing option for add-on non-SSD storage. I have a bunch of small sites that don't need SSD speeds. Don't advertise SSD storage, and push yourself into a corner with your pricing where it becomes unsustainable. Give me a $1/mo 3GB SSD VPS, and then give me a $0.01-$0.03/GB option for 5, 10, 25, 50, 100GB or more non-SSD SAN storage.

4) Don't give me 100TB of Monthly traffic. Delivery what you advertise.

5) Be nice. :)

• darkshiredarkshire Member
    edited June 2014

how about TUN/TAP support ? @i83
    its 2014 afterall :P

• PwnerPwner Member
    edited June 2014

To summarize what everyone really wants to say: High end specifications and features for a low end price. Especially (but not limited to) a good network speed, powerful processor, stable uptime, and for the dd addicts, a high benchmark.

Oh and the most important one of all: ACTUAL SUPPORT

edited June 2014

darkshire said: its 2014 afterall

Nah, if it really was 2014, people wouldn't still buy OpenVZ and use the Linux 2.6 kernel.

Thanked by 2Jeffrey Mark_R
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited June 2014

Cheap but Solid

More Awesome locations not US, more EU and outside booth and more IPv6 yes

• namhuynamhuy Member
    edited June 2014

Uptime

Decent Support

• sc754sc754 Member

Xen PV would be nice, seems like far to many providers are stuck using Openvz. When will ramnode offer Xen PV?? @Nick_A

• @bobby said:
    Note the 'some' part.

You either have privacy, or you don't.

Thanked by 1Pwner
  • bobbybobby Member

@Microlinux said:

Ok, captain.

• KVM, IPv6, good network, good performance.

edited June 2014

Microlinux said: You either have privacy, or you don't.

So by your logic you don't have privacy on a dedicated server either? After all the DC can pull your hard drives and examine their contents.

"All or nothing" is really a useless way of thinking about this. KVM/Xen do offer at least some barrier from the host's peeking into your affairs, whereas OpenVZ offers none whatsoever. And remember, you can also pretty easily set up full disk or partition encryption on KVM, requiring a password on boot to unlock; while the host can steal that password via keylogging, that will certainly require a deliberate effort way outside the scale of comparison to running a "vzctl enter" on OpenVZ.

Thanked by 2mpkossen Mark_R
  • rm_ said: And remember, you can also pretty easily set up full disk or partition encryption on KVM, requiring a password on boot to unlock; while the host can steal that password via keylogging, that will certainly require a deliberate effort way outside the scale of comparison to running a "vzctl enter" on OpenVZ.

Or y'know, extract the keys from memory ;P your point still stands, though.