Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Debian 6 & Postfix autostart - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Debian 6 & Postfix autostart

13»

Comments

• IcooIcoo Member

@fran any updates on this? :-)

• IcooIcoo Member

BUMP @fran same question, 4 days have past...sorry for being kinda annoying (this is bugging me as much as I bug you guys) but I would just like some feedback...I have a similar setup with Ramhost...and it's working just fine...please check Node15 (or can I request to be moved to another node?)

• JohnGJohnG Member
    edited June 2012

I have the same issue on a BuyVM OpenVZ VPS running the Revision Control appliance template (Ubuntu 10.04?). Fresh install, apt-get update, apt-get install dovecot-postfix --> postfix won't start on reboot.

I added some diagnostics to /etc/init.d/postfix and found that when invoked from the rc scripts:

+ id uid=0(root) gid=1000(certssl) egid=0(root)

When invoked from a root shell (ssh login):

+ id uid=0(root) gid=0(root) groups=0(root)

Postfix is pretty picky about real id matching the effective id, so I think this is the root of the problem (pun intended). Any idea what this "certssl" group is and why the init script is running with that group?

Edit: it seems to start up OK on a "warm" reboot (i.e. issue "reboot" from an ssh login). My diagnostics show the correct group 0. But it does not work on a "cold" reboot (shutdown from Stallion console, then boot). @Francisco, any thoughts?

• klikliklikli Member

@Francisco said: If so, wheezy is derpy on OVZ.

Mind telling me what "derpy" means? I'm on wheezy too actually.

• IcooIcoo Member

Anthony confirmed via ticket that this is a company wide issue with the Debian/Ubuntu templates...he suggested starting postfox via crontab, I will try that this evening. As for Fran, he did say that he will look into it, I PMed him twice but no answer -.-

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@Icoo said: As for Fran, he did say that he will look into it, I PMed him twice but no answer -.-

I can't confirm this anywhere though. My own test VM's show it working to spec so I'm not entirely sure what Anthony is seeing that i'm not. I'll ask him to forward me all of the tickets he has (read: he probably has 1 other besides yours).

Francisco

• IcooIcoo Member
    edited June 2012

That might well be..still no reason to ignore the issue (or me for that matter XD)...obviuosly there is something 'derpy' with some nodes. No one happier than me if you fix the issue, I even offered my machine to test it...

@Icoo said: That might well be..still no reason to ignore the issue (or me for that matter XD)...obviuosly there is something 'derpy' with some nodes. No one happier than me if you fix the issue, I even offered my machine to test it...

I wrote you a reply at one point but it seems I never actually clicked send before bed, sorry. :( I don't have access to WHMCS so I can't write tickets myself, they always go through Anthony.

Anyways, Anthony asked you to please do a full shut down/start up, did you try that?

I'm noticing 1 possible thing it might be, so i'm packing up a possible fix right now.

Can I restart your VPS right now or are you busy with it?

Fran

• IcooIcoo Member
    edited June 2012

Tried what Anthony said just now...it's still not starting...

As for the VPS...do whatever u want...

• JohnGJohnG Member

I didn't have a ticket open but I just reproduced it (again) with minimal steps from a clean install and logged a new ticket for tracking. Like Icoo, you're welcome to do whatever you need on my VPS if it helps diagnose the issue.

@Icoo said: Tried what Anthony said just now...it's still not starting...

As for the VPS...do whatever u want...

fixed~

Let me know if it's all dandy for you. I did an /etc/init.d/postfix status and it showed running after reboot. If you report back in ticket that it's positive we'll global the update.

Fran

• IcooIcoo Member
    edited June 2012

Hmm...sry still not working...I just rebooted it and did a /etc/init.d/postfix status, output is:

postfix is not running.

I can't see it with ps aux either. I restarted the server via the control panel as usual...maybe I should try to re-install the template if u made changes there?

EDIT: Maybe you meant JohnGs machine?

@Icoo said: Hmm...sry still not working...I just rebooted it and did a /etc/init.d/postfix status, output is:

postfix is not running.

I can't see it with ps aux either. I restarted the server via the control panel as usual...maybe I should try to re-install the template if u made changes there?

Nope, the changes were on our end :)

I dunno, it was booted when I did a restart. Maybe there was a different ticket, let me give Anthony your ticket ID.

Fran

Derp, we did the fix on node22, you're on 15 (or so you say).

Let me go apply it over there!

Francisco

• IcooIcoo Member

Ok let me now when it's done so I can confirm it (the VPS Manager says I'm node15...I hope I am)!

PM'd a log of ps -ef after a restart :)

Go ahead and do it yourself to confirm.

Francisco

• IcooIcoo Member

Ok I logged in...and it was on...but when I tried a reboot and the ps -ef I got this:

UID PID PPID C STIME TTY TIME CMD
    root 1 0 0 13:08 ? 00:00:00 init [2]
    root 1488 1 0 13:08 ? 00:00:00 /usr/sbin/syslogd
    root 1508 1 0 13:08 ? 00:00:00 /usr/sbin/cron
    root 1566 1 0 13:08 ? 00:00:00 /usr/sbin/sshd
    root 1578 1566 0 13:08 ? 00:00:00 sshd: root@pts/0
    root 1583 1578 0 13:08 pts/0 00:00:00 -bash
    root 1629 1583 0 13:09 pts/0 00:00:00 ps -ef

so it still derping around...

how did you reboot? with 'reboot'? or from the panel?

Francisco

• IcooIcoo Member

From the panel.

PM me your IP just to make sure I'm looking at the right CT here :P I gave Anthony your old ticket ID that he reopened.

I restarted your CT again from the node side:

UID PID PPID C STIME TTY TIME CMD
    root 1 0 0 13:17 ? 00:00:00 init [2]
    root 1488 1 0 13:17 ? 00:00:00 /usr/sbin/syslogd
    root 1508 1 0 13:17 ? 00:00:00 /usr/sbin/cron
    root 1591 1 0 13:17 ? 00:00:00 /usr/lib/postfix/master
    postfix 1596 1591 0 13:17 ? 00:00:00 qmgr -l -t fifo -u
    postfix 1597 1591 0 13:17 ? 00:00:00 pickup -l -t fifo -u -c
    root 1599 1 0 13:17 ? 00:00:00 /usr/sbin/sshd
    root 1613 1 0 13:18 ? 00:00:00 ps -ef

So i'm a little confused as to why you issuing it from your end is throwing it off.

Francisco

• IcooIcoo Member
    edited June 2012

PMed u the IP...I can confirm that it's runing again now after your reboot (but if I reboot it from the panel it stops working)

• JohnGJohnG Member

In my case it made a difference if I issued "reboot" from an ssh login vs. Shutdown / Boot from the VPS control panel.

I never tried the Reboot button on the VPS control panel, and of course I'm unable to try doing anything from the node side.

The only situation in which it did not start up correctly for me was Shutdown followed by Boot from the control panel.

• IcooIcoo Member

I will try it with the internal reboot command once Fran confirms he checked the panel reboot he just asked me to do...

Piece of shit annoying C code.

Oh well, at least I got that figured out, I'll have a global fix going out in a sec.

Francisco

• IcooIcoo Member

Closed the ticket. Again THX for the help...all is working now on my end!

@Icoo said: Closed the ticket. Again THX for the help...all is working now on my end!

Danke!

Francisco