Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Debian 6 & Postfix autostart - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Debian 6 & Postfix autostart

Comments

Thanked by 1nabo
  • IcooIcoo Member
    edited June 2012

XD...sorry about that guys...I was a bit on the edge since I can't get it to work properly on this server/template...the Edit button is now noted ;-)

EDIT: After Anthony looked at it he decided to put the image into the Beta section (since it's has some quircks)...so I'm running Deb 6 Standard now...

I really liked the minimal image, hope Fran will figure out whats wrong (since it has potential)

EDIT2: Postfix won't even start once rebooted on Debian 6 Standard...f*** this I'm getting a KVM on Monday...

• rds100rds100 Member

postfix works just fine on debian, believe me. There is something specific to your installation that makes it to stop working.

• IcooIcoo Member

No it doesn't...I even tried this:

1. reinstall Debian 6, and don't touch anything (didn't even change the root password or added a user)
    2. apt-get install postfix
    3. ps aux to check if it's running, and insserv postfix to make sure it's all there in /etc/rc.d
    4. reboot...postfix doesn't start

Anyway I'm hoping to catch a KVM on Monday...OpenVZ seems to have a lot of hickups with newer distros and kernel changes...

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@Icoo said: Anyway I'm hoping to catch a KVM on Monday...OpenVZ seems to have a lot of hickups with newer distros and kernel changes...

We got 2 nodes coming up for Monday hopefully, just waiting on Matt to confirm he can rack it tonight. If not, it'll be Tuesday.

Francisco

• IcooIcoo Member

Can I just "upgrade" my OpenVZ plan (which is due 01/08 anyway, one year already passed) to KVM...or do I have to participate in the "hunt"? ;-)

@Icoo said: Can I just "upgrade" my OpenVZ plan (which is due 01/08 anyway, one year already passed) to KVM...or do I have to participate in the "hunt"? ;-)

Ticket :)

Probably the hunt but KVM's sell somewhat slower. The 128's will move fast, 256's somewhat fast.

Francisco

• IcooIcoo Member

THX I will open a ticket, then we will see what can be done...

@Icoo said: THX I will open a ticket, then we will see what can be done...

Anthony has someone elses ticket as well about their apache not starting up so it's quite possible vsysinit is being a bit derpy.

I'll be spending some time tomorrow/later tonight seeing if I can figure it out :)

Francisco

• IcooIcoo Member
    edited June 2012

I filled a ticket about the switch to KVM...seems like the logical step since it's more isolated than OpenVZ. Anyway I had a talk with Anthony yesterday about my problem over the ticket system (thats why he moved Deb 6 Min to BETA)...hope u guys can fix it...

EDIT: P.S. If you do figure it out (the vsysinit thng) please let us know here!

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@Icoo said: EDIT: P.S. If you do figure it out (the vsysinit thng) please let us know here!

have you tried to remove manually the init.d symlinks, and reintall postfix ?

• IcooIcoo Member

You mean do this:

rm /etc/init.d/postfix
    apt-get --reinstall install posfix

That seems like the same thing as doing apt-get remove --purge postfix (se post #5), which I did before (even checked if it's gone from /etc/init.d)...nothing helped so far...

well... did you try to make another service to restart postfix? =P

I think postfix starts, just not at boot time.

Fran

• IcooIcoo Member

As Fran said...that's the problem. Let us know if you figure it out...

@Icoo said: As Fran said...that's the problem. Let us know if you figure it out

may be a dependency of postfix starts later and that's why it dies?

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • IcooIcoo Member
    edited June 2012

How would I test it...the only error I get in the log is:

May 31 20:17:35 MyServer postfix[1611]: fatal: the postfix command must not run as a set-uid process

• nabonabo Member
    edited June 2012

chmod u-s /path/to/postfix (hint)

• IcooIcoo Member
    edited June 2012

@nabo just tried it...no change, same error...it's probably a OVZ thing as Fran said (another guy has the same issue with Apache)...let's see what Fran figures out...

Thanked by 1tux
  • IcooIcoo Member

@fran any news on this issue?

• edited June 2012

Not sure why you think it's an OVZ specific issue as opposed to an "lcoo's specific Deb 6 OVZ instance" specific issue. I've been running postfix on Deb on OVZ of varying resources, on various hosts, for at least 3 years without issue.

• IcooIcoo Member
    edited June 2012

Look I have done it as described (reinstall OS and the next command was apt-get install postfix)...maybe it worked when you used the template and everything was 'installed' on top of the old kernel (and is now working fine on top faked .32)...if you have the free time (and spare VPS)...do a clean reinstall to Deb6 and install postfix...if it works after that, then only we can say it's an 'Icoo specific issue'. I need this to work FOR work...so I wouldn't request help unless I know I did everything by the book (like on so many other systems I have setup) till now...

BTW I have run Ubuntu 10.04 on this system for a year now...no problems...when I switched to 12.04 (or Debian 6, hoping it works there) the problems started...

@lcoo - i've not had enough time to spend on fiddling with the template. I've been commissioned by the staff to get our ARIN paper work in place so i'll be busy with that for most of the afternoon. When I'm done this I'll hop on the template though :)

Francisco

• IcooIcoo Member

@Fran thx...now thats a pro!

edited June 2012

Hi @lcoo,

On debian6 x86 both apache2 & postfix boot w/o any additional changes. I'm about to test 64bit and see if it's maybe something in there.

All I did was apt-get install apache2 postfix

did a 'reboot' and it's all started:

32bit

root@buster:/# ps -ef

UID PID PPID C STIME TTY TIME CMD
    root 1 0 0 22:49 ? 00:00:00 init [2]
    root 1284 1 0 22:49 ? 00:00:00 /usr/sbin/syslogd
    root 1294 1 0 22:49 ? 00:00:00 /usr/sbin/apache2 -k start
    www-data 1299 1294 0 22:49 ? 00:00:00 /usr/sbin/apache2 -k start
    www-data 1302 1294 0 22:49 ? 00:00:00 /usr/sbin/apache2 -k start
    www-data 1304 1294 0 22:49 ? 00:00:00 /usr/sbin/apache2 -k start
    root 1372 1 0 22:49 ? 00:00:00 /usr/sbin/cron
    root 1455 1 0 22:49 ? 00:00:00 /usr/lib/postfix/master
    postfix 1460 1455 0 22:49 ? 00:00:00 qmgr -l -t fifo -u
    postfix 1461 1455 0 22:49 ? 00:00:00 pickup -l -t fifo -u -c
    root 1463 1 0 22:49 ? 00:00:00 /usr/sbin/sshd
    root 1471 1 0 22:49 ? 00:00:00 vzctl: pts/0
    root 1472 1471 0 22:49 pts/0 00:00:00 -bash
    root 1476 1472 0 22:49 pts/0 00:00:00 ps -ef

64bit

root@buster:/# ps -ef

UID PID PPID C STIME TTY TIME CMD
    root 1 0 0 09:54 ? 00:00:00 init [2]
    root 1289 1 0 09:54 ? 00:00:00 /usr/sbin/syslogd
    root 1299 1 0 09:54 ? 00:00:00 /usr/sbin/apache2 -k start
    www-data 1305 1299 0 09:54 ? 00:00:00 /usr/sbin/apache2 -k start
    www-data 1307 1299 0 09:54 ? 00:00:00 /usr/sbin/apache2 -k start
    www-data 1310 1299 0 09:54 ? 00:00:00 /usr/sbin/apache2 -k start
    root 1377 1 0 09:54 ? 00:00:00 /usr/sbin/cron
    root 1460 1 0 09:54 ? 00:00:00 /usr/lib/postfix/master
    postfix 1465 1460 0 09:54 ? 00:00:00 qmgr -l -t fifo -u
    postfix 1466 1460 0 09:54 ? 00:00:00 pickup -l -t fifo -u -c
    root 1468 1 0 09:54 ? 00:00:00 /usr/sbin/sshd
    root 1479 1 0 09:55 ? 00:00:00 vzctl: pts/0
    root 1480 1479 0 09:55 pts/0 00:00:00 -bash
    root 1484 1480 0 09:55 pts/0 00:00:00 ps -ef

Francisco

• IcooIcoo Member
    edited June 2012

Hmm Fran could you then log into my node and see if there is something specific to it...I have it running (fresh install, only root account), with postfix installed (installed everything exactly like you) and I am always getting that

Jun 5 06:18:51 VPS postfix[1567]: fatal: the postfix command must not run as a set-uid process

error message in the log. What should I put in the ticket so u know what system this is about (my node is node15)?

One more thing: When I tried to run update/upgrade the system told me that Debian switched to a dependency based boot system now...maybe that's screwing it up? Did u run a upgrade on ur test box (before or after installing postfix)?

EDIT: Just tried a new fresh install without upgrading at first...postfix still wont start...so it's not a upgrade problem...I'm getting tired :-(

@Icoo said: One more thing: When I tried to run update/upgrade the system told me that Debian switched to a dependency based boot system now...maybe that's screwing it up? Did u run a upgrade on ur test box (before or after installing postfix)?

Did you upgrade to wheezy?

If so, wheezy is derpy on OVZ.

I'm running debian 6 on here and it's unlikely they'd backport a major init change into the stable branch

Fran

• IcooIcoo Member
    edited June 2012

No...I just did an apt-get update and apt-get upgrade once I logged into the freshly installed box (and it updated a few packages, and then the message came up)...but it's still Squeeze...but as I said...I tried it without upgrading...just install OS, then apt-get install postfix as root...and it won't work...could you check if it's something specific to my node (or move me to another one)...I know this is getting kinda boring...but I am honestly trying everything by the book (I have done it many times on other servers)...never seen something like it before...

Sure :) PM me the ticket ID again and i'll handle it in the morning.

I'll fiddle with things a bit more on my end as well to see if I can trigger it.

Francisco

edited June 2012

FYI,

I did an apt-get upgrade without issues as well :S

It updated initscripts/sysv-init without issue. I'll for sure check into your node to make sure your .conf is ok.

Francisco