Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Yes this topic again: Xen, KVM or OpenVZ - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Yes this topic again: Xen, KVM or OpenVZ

13»

Comments

• rds100 said: The thing i don't like about Xen is that it requires a special tool to be able to configure it properly - XenCenter. And this tool only runs on Windows.

uw0tm8? XenCenter is not the special tool that you have to use for Xen. Personally, I'm inclined to use libxenlite for all my needs, but I'm sure that libvirt also works. virt-manager allows you to control it on a linux-based box.

• rds100rds100 Member

@Rallias wel, i was playing with Citrix XenServer and the only way to configure some things was through XenCenter.

• I am a new user of IH and willing to stay with XEN HVM , honestly speaking i am not facing any difference between HVM and KVM and i am afraid of conversion where it has threat for my data. I am ok with HVM. But if IH can guarantee of Data safety it will be good with KVM. As you said HVM has feature as KVM to install by ISO , thats why i am ok with HVM.

If you are ok with HVM , i am ok. :P

But please consider updating solus ... its tooo old .. don't you think ?

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

@obakfahad any changes would be 100% optional and backups would be made in advance, really nothing to worry about there :)

For KVM/Xen/OpenVZ I dont have any other options that are viable right now, I can switch to virtualizor but frankly user reports are not great so for the tiny improvement you get over solusvm it seems very little work for nothing.

• @AnthonySmith , On that case i will prefer KVM.

• The only downside to certain offers from InceptionHosting, XenPower, and others is the fact that they're not also available as XenHVM. While I understand that some ticketing to a provider may result in a XenHVM instance being created, it's not being advertized as such, which is a shame.

I also like the fact that XenHVM instances don't run in userland like KVM instances do.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

@mpkossen I offer HVM in the UK and Florida, frankly HVM does not allow for the density that PV does hence not allowing it yet in Phoenix and NL as in both locations over the years a ton of 128 and 256 plans have been sold, if I was to start doing those as HVM the nodes would go BANG! :)

Frankly the biggest problem I have with HVM is caused by solusvm, while I know you may know the answer to this question(s) users are not expected to:

Network Emulator: what is it, what type should you select and why does netfront work for debian based distros and ioemu for Centos and windows and most importantly why the hell should a user care surley it should just work right?

Lots of things like that which are HVM specific solusvm expects the users to deal with which frankly is bollocks! there is no good reason (much like PAE flags) I the host should not be able to set these options for you, in advance, per ISO.

sadly solusvm dont agree, ticket filed anyway....

Thanked by 1mpkossen
  • @AnthonySmith said:
    mpkossen I offer HVM in the UK and Florida, frankly HVM does not allow for the density that PV does hence not allowing it yet in Phoenix and NL as in both locations over the years a ton of 128 and 256 plans have been sold, if I was to start doing those as HVM the nodes would go BANG! :)

Frankly the biggest problem I have with HVM is caused by solusvm, while I know you may know the answer to this question(s) users are not expected to:

Network Emulator: what is it, what type should you select and why does netfront work for debian based distros and ioemu for Centos and windows and most importantly why the hell should a user care surley it should just work right?

Lots of things like that which are HVM specific solusvm expects the users to deal with which frankly is bollocks! there is no good reason (much like PAE flags) I the host should not be able to set these options for you, in advance, per ISO.

sadly solusvm dont agree, ticket filed anyway....

Totally understand! It's definitely a challenge for hosting providers, especially combined with SolusVM. I've had a run-in or two with them as well and I can't say it ended well for me (nor for them, as they have one more dissatisfied user).

But purely focusing on virtualization, I'd definitely love to see more XenHVM and I'd happily exchange all my XenPV instances for XenHVM.

Other than that, I'd also happily exchange all my OVZ instances for XenPV ones, though that's: 1) hard, because there's just too little XenPV offers out there, 2) costly, as host can't oversell Xen as easily as OpenVZ or don't do it.

• neqsteneqste Member

XEN very fast.

Tested with IperWeb, and only with them.

I'm usually choose KVM.

OpenVZ for me - it's sad virtualization.