Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Yes this topic again: Xen, KVM or OpenVZ - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Yes this topic again: Xen, KVM or OpenVZ

Comments

• 1) Based on nothing else but the virt type would you select Xen or KVM or OpenVZ?

Well I like XEN as much as KVM but most control panels out there don't support all its features so with Solus or other available conventional control panels KVM would be my preferred choice because virtIO I can get as good Network & I/O performance as the host node

2) Based on nothing else but the virt type would you select Xen or KVM

KVM

3) Have you ever avoided a service just because it was Xen and if so why?

Nope

4) Are you aware Xen HVM supports installation from ISO just like KVM?

yes

5) If you are an Inception Hosting customer already and the option to convert your current Xen VPS (HVM or PV) to KVM would you want to? (would include data)

I am not an Inception Hosting customer but if my host gives me a choice to confirm, I would say yes without a 2nd thought.

1 suggestion for you, converting to virtualizor or any other panel from SolusVM would not be a wise decision.You would basically have all the same problems or probably more than what you're having with Solus. So for now you should keep Solus & offer KVM on your new nodes.Offer optional migration from XEN to KVM to all your current customers.
    Or you can offer KVM & XEN both at same time as well.I know some hosts who do it & they've successful.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    1. Xen-PV for speed, KVM for control/weird os.
    2. Xen, I need a lot of network.
    3. No, only when I needed KVM control, but then I would not look for Xen-PV. I am yet to find a good Xen-HVM provider to match my needs.
    4. Sure, I use it for 7 years or more.
    5. I am not sure it will be possible in good conditions. Applications might crash, you cant just convert and hope for the best without knowing what the user did there, including custom FS, custom partitioning, custom kernel. PV might do okay for the points before, but will probably fail in other places.
  • I'm using KVM with proxmox a free yet solid combo better than solusvm that's for sure!
    Its also working quite nicely

• 1) Xen, absolutely
    2) Xen, still, but I would have to say XenHVM
    3) Just because the host couldn't provide proper templates, not because of the virtualization technology itself
    4) Yes, and it's a shame so little hosts offer it
    5) No. I'd love to have everything on XenHVM as a first way out. A move to KVM would be a last resort for me. Don't get me wrong, I like KVM as well, I just have a very strong preference for XenHVM.

Now let me read the rest of the thread :P

• I am using XenHVM managed via XenCenter for dedicated servers, and I am liking it over KVM / OpenVZ. However when it comes to VPS providers, I go for KVM because there are very less Xen providers who know what they are doing and provide it similar to KVM pricing.

• jcalebjcaleb Member
    edited June 2014

1) Based on nothing else but the virt type would you select Xen or KVM or OpenVZ?

Xen and KVM

I'm beginning to love Xen now because of my experience with XenPower

Before, because I thought it was a dead project

I am not aware of that. Can it run BSD or Windows too?

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

@jcaleb yes you can that is what the current xen hvm offers from IH were built for :)

Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • emgemg Veteran

I am an end user only, not a provider. One problem that I constantly see is that providers offer "Xen" without stating whether they are offering PV or HVM. I assume that Xen offerings mean PV when it goes unstated, but I do not understand why it isn't stated, since it appears to be an important distinction.

I have several VPSs, but they are all OpenVZ or KVM. None are Xen in either form. I would like to try Xen VPSs to see the difference for myself (one PV, one HVM), but have not found good offers that meet my very low cost needs. I use VPSs as learning tools and testbeds. I am not sufficiently skilled to the point where I feel comfortable moving a production domain to a VPS.

I have yet to learn what distinguishes Xen PV from OpenVZ, nor what distinguishes Xen HVM from KVM. I would like to learn by actually signing up for Xen VPSs, but as I said above, they are usually priced above my "education" budget.

[ said]

(1) Based on nothing else but the virt type would you select Xen or KVM or OpenVZ?

Assuming that price and specs are the same, then the simple answer is KVM because I have more control, and I have experience using it. The longer answer is "It depends." In general, I can get better VPS specs at the same price level with OpenVZ vs KVM. As I said before, I would like to try Xen, but have not found offers with the ultra low prices that fit my learning needs.

KVM - because I would get full control, a user installed unmodified OS, and a low likelihood of overselling. When you say "Xen" in your question, you did not specify "PV" or "HVM". Without actual experience with Xen, I view Xen PV and Xen HVM as very different from one another. Therefore, the question is not complete.

Yes, but only due to price. I have not found a LEB Xen VPS with the ultra low price (say, less than $3 per month) that I would use for the learning experience.

Yes.

5) If you are an Inception Hosting customer already and the option to convert your current Xen VPS (HVM or PV) to KVM would you want to? (would include data)

I am not an Inception Hosting customer.

Thanks for the great and detailed feedback everyone!

Thanked by 1mpkossen
  • qpsqps Member, Host Rep

rm_ said: A tiny minority of hosts use Xen HVM, it's practically safe to assume when you see "Xen", it's Xen PV, and HVM is either not an option, or costs extra.

We default to Xen PV because most of our customers prefer it. We offer Xen HVM for the same price as Xen PV. It doesn't really cost more than Xen PV, so not sure why people would charge more for it.

• jcalebjcaleb Member

One thing I worry about Xen is I remember Kujoe left it. His reason is that its very hard to manage. So I worry a host will abandon it too in the future

• jcaleb said: One thing I worry about Xen is I remember Kujoe left it. His reason is that its very hard to manage. So I worry a host will abandon it too in the future

Obviously Anthony is mulling the idea over too. Like he says though, I think it's more lack of third party tools rather than the tools/platform supplied by Xen.

Thanked by 1jcaleb

I would never drop it, I would just not provide additional Xen nodes.

Personally I find Xen easier to manage than KVM or even OpenVZ, I think Kujoes decision was due to the lack of solusvm support for Xen at the time they were still pushing out a very old version with the xm toolset and on top of that the version they pushed out had serious network performance issues which later turned out to be the window frame limits.

Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • AnthonySmith said: I would never drop it, I would just not provide additional Xen nodes.

I didn't mean to imply you would leave people in the lurch, rather abandon any new product lines with Xen.

Thanked by 1AnthonySmith
  • tr1ckytr1cky Member
    1. OpenVZ (lowest overhead, usually best performance)
    2. KVM
    3. prometeus XEN servers had less CPU you could actually use than similar-priced openvz servers with the same amount of vcores
    4. No, but I never wanted to install custom iso's on vps anyways
    5. Not a XEN customer at inceptionhosting
  • qps said: It doesn't really cost more than Xen PV, so not sure why people would charge more for it.

It costs a little more CPU time on the Dom0.

• KVM is "REAL" virtualization. It should always be used when possible, as it gives the customer and the provider more control over all of the following, and more:

• The Boot Sequence [ crash recovery, custom installations, even custom architectures are supported [ yes, non x86 / x86_64 can be run on KVM, with a little bit of tweaking ]

• The kernel support + host-machine-passthru [ KVM supports running guest code directly on the host processor, almost removing the virtualization overhead entirely. ]

And many many more features.

• KVM, OpenVz is for starters who just want a cheap server.

• jcalebjcaleb Member

Which has better CPU scheduler between Xen and KVM?

• GoodHosting said: KVM is "REAL" virtualization. It should always be used when possible, as it gives the customer and the provider more control over all of the following, and more:

The Boot Sequence [ crash recovery, custom installations, even custom architectures are supported [ yes, non x86 / x86_64 can be run on KVM, with a little bit of tweaking ]

The kernel support + host-machine-passthru [ KVM supports running guest code directly on the host processor, almost removing the virtualization overhead entirely. ]

And many many more features.

Thank you for your clear and blatant misunderstanding of what Xen HVM is, what it provides, and what benefits that may be provided by the multiple modes that Xen may operate under.

• @jcaleb said:
    Which has better CPU scheduler between Xen and KVM?

XEN AFAIK

Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • I love Xen PV myself.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited June 2014

I think you know where I stand on it but for fun... :)

1) Based on nothing else but the virt type would you select Xen or KVM or OpenVZ?

OpenVZ

KVM

Yes. It isn't anything against Xen, it's just that I know OpenVZ and when I want more KVM is there. My understanding is that my freedom with Xen PV is somewhere in the middle of these two, and Xen HVM just isn't something I know as well as KVM.

I am. Off the top of my head I want to say Xen PV is what I see most often lately when I see Xen at all.

• Ovz is good if your provider does not over sell and use crappy servers, KVM is obviously good too especially for windows users.

• drserverdrserver Member, Host Rep

jcaleb said: Which has better CPU scheduler between Xen and KVM?

Well i don't know about KVM much but on XEN you can tune scheduler how do you wish. Only limit is physical CPU

• rds100rds100 Member

The thing i don't like about Xen is that it requires a special tool to be able to configure it properly - XenCenter. And this tool only runs on Windows.

• daviddavid Member

Xen-PV

Xen-PV

No

Yes

I prefer Xen-PV, but I'm using OpenVZ now because it's cheaper. I find my stuff takes twice as much memory to run under OpenVZ than Xen or KVM, so a 1GB OpenVZ plan is roughly equivalent to a 512MB Xen or KVM plan.

It's odd when I see OpenVZ and Xen/KVM packages with similar pricing for the same amount of memory, when OpenVZ needs twice as much to be comparable.

• fislefisle Member

@rds100 said:
    The thing i don't like about Xen is that it requires a special tool to be able to configure it properly - XenCenter. And this tool only runs on Windows.

What about OpenXenManager? Have you tried it?

• rds100rds100 Member

@fisle i think it doesn't support all the features, only some part of them.

@rds100 I dont use XenServer for hosting but for open alternatives https://xen-orchestra.com/

Thanked by 1rds100