Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Colocrossing LA down? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Colocrossing LA down?

2»

Comments

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

There was no fire. That remark came from someone being funny, or trying to be.

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

So, you made major changes that could have, and did, result in a major outage for a good portion of your customers, IN THE MIDDLE OF THE BUSINESS DAY? How about 2AM, and a pre-planned and customer notified maintenance window?

Thanked by 1sasslik
  • rds100rds100 Member

shovenose said: How about 2AM, and a pre-planned and customer notified maintenance window?

Adding new peers / upstreams is not major changes usually. It only resulted in an outage because they fatfingered / screwed something.

And usually it's better to do these non-service affecting things during the day, when the staff is fully awake, etc.

Also when you are dealing with international customers "2 am" means nothing. It might be 2 am at your place, but for many of your customers it's not 2 am.

@rds100 said:

Valid point. However, a two hour outage is not a minor thing.
    That outage was during the middle of the business day pretty much everywhere in the US. ColoCrossing is a US company...

Since it isn't a very complicated change it should be no problem even if their staff is half asleep?

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited June 2014

@shovenose there is another problem - they might need to coordinate details with the provisioning department of the upstream/peer they are adding. And that provisioning department has no reason to work at 2am usually.

Really i've added BGP configurations many times in my life and it never resulted in an outage. Their admin screwed something.

@rds100 said:
    shovenose there is another problem - they might need to coordinate details with the provisioning department of the upstream/peer they are adding. And that provisioning department has no reason to work at 2am usually.

Really i've added BGP configurations many times in my life and it never resulted in an outage. Their admin screwed something.

That makes sense. Yet we have proved yet again that CC is crap.

• I've merged the three threads regarding this topic :-)

shovenose said: Yet we have proved yet again that CC is crap.

I don't think a personal mistake by someone means an entire company is crap?

• @Jack said:
    mpkossen yeah Chuck still hasn't given me my ski mask.

I was gonna ask why he owes you a ski mask, but then I was like I don't even wanna know.

• AlexanderMAlexanderM Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@mpkossen said:
    I was gonna ask why he owes you a ski mask, but then I was like I don't even wanna know.

Because Jack is terrible at no getting caught, he's so Ugly everyone knows what he looks like. Ski mask resolves this issue.

Thanked by 1Infinity
  • sz1hostingsz1hosting Member
    edited June 2014
    Thanked by 1Rapta
  • jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

Yeah it was a mistake that was corrected within 2 minutes of consoling the equipment locally (we're going to improve out OOBM shortly in remote locations). We've added peers hundreds of times at this point, and this is the first time this has happened. Either way it's a bad lesson and we'll be changing our policies to make sure future similar work is scheduled and covered under a maintenance window.

• jvnadrjvnadr Member

shovenose said: IN THE MIDDLE OF THE BUSINESS DAY?

We do not all live in the states. In Europe, this happened in the middle of the night

• xshadowxshadow Member

same here, I can't re-install my VPS or anything.
    the network is extreamly slow at the moment

• lukast__lukast__ Member
    edited April 6

@xshadow said:
    same here, I can't re-install my VPS or anything.
    the network is extreamly slow at the moment

This thread is nearly 10 years old, maybe look before posting?

Thanked by 1hostdare
  • angstromangstrom Moderator

This thread dates from June 2014!

Thread closed

This discussion has been closed.