Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ChicagoVPS Solus not letting me set a secure root password?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ChicagoVPS Solus not letting me set a secure root password?

Shane_ElmoreShane_Elmore Member
edited May 2012 in General

Too lazy to go into the billing panel and submitting a ticket.

So Solus on ChicagoVPS will not let me set a root password with symbols, however, if I try one without, which is insecure, it works. Is this a bug or does Chris just have SolusVM setup this way (probably the first one)? xD

Comments

• Solus sucks. 'passwd' exists for a reason, use it.

• rds100rds100 Member

This is a Solus thing, it has problems with long or "strange" passwords.
    Just set some temporary password, login as root in the VPS and then use the passwd command to set whatever password you want.

Thanked by 1Liam
  • As above, it's a Solus issue. I'm surprised they still don't support secure passwords. It would have been requested from the beginning.

• @SonicVPS said: As above, it's a Solus issue. I'm surprised they still don't support secure passwords. It would have been requested from the beginning.

Just another Solus issue.

• AsadAsad Member

Yeah, I have this issue too. Hate it.

I just set a temporary password and change it using passwd when I first login.

• AldryicAldryic Member

@Shane_Elmore said: So Solus on ChicagoVPS will not let me set a root password with symbols, however, if I try one without, which is insecure, it works.

You have a lot to learn about what 'secure' entails.

@Shane_Elmore said: Too lazy to go into the billing panel and submitting a ticket.

Seriously? Just like OneTwo... too lazy to do your own research, yet expect the answers nontheless.

Thanked by 1yomero
  • antivenantiven Member
    edited May 2012

@Aldryic said: @Shane_Elmore said: So Solus on ChicagoVPS will not let me set a root password with symbols, however, if I try one without, which is insecure, it works.

You have a lot to learn about what 'secure' entails.

-All else equal, passwords with symbols are more secure than passwords without symbols. This is obvious.-

Never mind.

• I think @Aldryc was refering to setting a password via SolusVM which is a security nightmare.

• yahleroyahlero Member

@antiven said: All else equal, passwords with symbols are more secure than passwords without symbols.

The implication was that passwords without symbols are "insecure" (not simply less secure). You're arguing against something that wasn't said.

• CoreyCorey Member

@Aldryic isn't he doing research by asking someone that already knows? (LET community)

• AldryicAldryic Member
    edited May 2012

@antiven said: -All else equal, passwords with symbols are more secure than passwords without symbols. This is obvious.-

I refer to 'correcthorsebatterystaple' to disprove that notion.

@Corey said: @Aldryic isn't he doing research by asking someone that already knows? (LET community)

If it hadn't been for the "I'm too lazy" bit, that would've been my guess as well.

• antivenantiven Member
    edited May 2012

@Aldryic said: @antiven said: -All else equal, passwords with symbols are more secure than passwords without symbols. This is obvious.-

I refer to 'correcthorsebatterystaple' to disprove that notion.

"All else equal" is important here. "correcthorsebatterystaple" versus "correcth*rsebatterystaple".

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
  • AldryicAldryic Member

I did misread your allelseequal there, sir. However, I still disagree with you, due to you're making your claim far too broad. "Randomized" passwords are harder for a human to guess, but it makes no difference to a machine. The only thing you've done with adding symbols is ensure that you'll have a more difficult time keeping track of your passwords, unless you have your own rigid pattern to follow.

@jarland - maybe just a little :3

• antivenantiven Member
    edited May 2012

@Aldryic said: I did misread your allelseequal there, sir. However, I still disagree with you, due to you're making your claim far too broad. "Randomized" passwords are harder for a human to guess, but it makes no difference to a machine. The only thing you've done with adding symbols is ensure that you'll have a more difficult time keeping track of your passwords, unless you have your own rigid pattern to follow.

Yes, but my example is not randomized. By adding symbols in locations that make sense to you, you make passphrases marginally more difficult to remember, but add significant entropy for a machine.

• AldryicAldryic Member

@antiven said: but add significant entropy for a machine.

No sir, not necessarily. You're making the assumption that 1) the password's characters will be latin, and 2) the password will be short.

Ялюблюмоясобака is made up of four very common words. And yet it has higher entropy than any combination of latin symbols you choose under 14 characters long.

There's much more involved with password security than just how random, how much entropy, how long, etc. There are plenty of factors to consider, and not every password need have the same strengths.

• @Aldryic said: Ялюблюмоясобака is made up of four very common words.

/me hops over to my.frantech.ca/admin

:p

• antivenantiven Member

@Aldryic said: No sir, not necessarily. You're making the assumption that 1) the password's characters will be latin, and 2) the password will be short.

Ялюблюмоясобака is made up of four very common words. And yet it has higher entropy than any combination of latin symbols you choose under 14 characters long.

There's much more involved with password security than just how random, how much entropy, how long, etc. There are plenty of factors to consider, and not every password need have the same strengths.

Okay, in your example wouldn't "Ялюблюмоясобака" have less entropy than "Ялюблюмояс*бака", since you're increasing the possible character space?

• JacobJacob Member

Oh Jeez, It's that boxxy girl.
    I seen her videos a while ago, She never stops moving/twitching, What is wrong with her?

Thanked by 1jar
  • AldryicAldryic Member

@antiven said: Okay, in your example wouldn't "Ялюблюмоясобака" have less entropy than "Ялюблюмояс*бака", since you're increasing the possible character space?

Nosir. The cyrillic 'o' and the asterisk have the same entropy. All you've done there is make the password harder for you to remember.

If that were latin characters, then you'd be correct, as latin alphanumeric are less entropic than ascii charsets. But not everyone uses english/latin for their passwords :P

• @Jacob said: Oh Jeez, It's that boxxy girl.

Lol i haven't heard from her in years. Anyone knows what happened to her?

• antivenantiven Member
    edited May 2012

@Aldryic said: Nosir. The cyrillic 'o' and the asterisk have the same entropy. All you've done there is make the password harder for you to remember.

If that were latin characters, then you'd be correct, as latin alphanumeric are less entropic than ascii charsets. But not everyone uses english/latin for their passwords :P

So from the POV of an attacker, if I was creating a script that tried to bruteforce your passwords, wouldn't it take longer to bruteforce if my script had to test all cyrillic characters + latin symbols, vs. just cyrillic characters? There would be (no. of possible cyrillic characters + no. of possible symbols) per character vs. just (no. of possible cyrillic characters). I might be missing something very obvious here...

@gsrdgrdghd said: Lol i haven't heard from her in years. Anyone knows what happened to her?

Nothing. She uploaded a video 3 months ago.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/boxxybabee

• DiltDilt Member
    edited May 2012

@antiven But suppose the system allowed all symbols/latin characters/etc. When should you stop testing latin-only character passwords? 13 characters? 20? When should you start mixing in numbers? Or start going for Russian passwords without symbols? Entropy is a hard game to beat.

• AldryicAldryic Member

@antiven said: So from the POV of an attacker, if I was creating a script that tried to bruteforce your passwords, wouldn't it take longer to bruteforce if my script had to test all cyrillic characters + latin symbols, vs. just cyrillic characters?

Except you wouldn't write such a script, since you didn't think of cyrillic passwords to begin with :P (none of my passwords are pure cyrillic, btw).

You also have to take into account that nobody -would- write a cyrillic only script, as cyrillic still uses latin/arabic numbers. So excluding those means a bruteforce tool that would have a very high failure rate.

• antivenantiven Member

Hey thats not fair... Its an "all else equal" comparison.

• CVPS_ChrisCVPS_Chris Member, Patron Provider

Why does our name have to be mentioned in this, its irrelevant since we can do nothing about it and is now getting attention for no reason haha :(

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@CVPS_Chris said: now getting attention for no reason

Bask in it brother

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

The problem with 'correct horse battery staple' is that, assuming an attacker knows you use that password format, each word is really only worth one 'character', with a 'character set' the size of a dictionary.

Thanked by 1yomero
  • AsadAsad Member

@Dilt It's kinda creepy the way you randomly appear in a thread out of nowhere ...

Thanked by 1Dilt
  • AldryicAldryic Member

@joepie91 said: The problem with 'correct horse battery staple' is that, assuming an attacker knows you use that password format, each word is really only worth one 'character', with a 'character set' the size of a dictionary.

Very much correct, sir. That's why you don't tell folks your password strategies, let alone examples :3