Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cheap Small Dedicated Server - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cheap Small Dedicated Server

2»

Comments

• earlearl Member

@Mark_R said:

I was implying that the phenom is a really good deal and that if there were no issues it would probably have been sold out by now.. I had the $25 phenom and they provisioned it on a X4 965, so believe me when I say I hated to cancel that server but I had no choice since they couldn't do much more for me.

Don't get me wrong DS/WSI is one of my favorite providers.. they have awesome support and their price is great! I was just pointing out that there was network issue and this is still pretty recent so you may have to consider if you are willing to take the risk.

• earlearl Member

@catalystium said:
    Mark_R
    earl

I'll show you how bad it can get once it finishes running (at WSI) in about whatever minutes.. its a smaller i3 they had on special at one time.

That would be interesting thanks..

• @earl - why mtr from the server to the servers local IP? Its not going to show packet loss.

Thanked by 2earl rm_
  • Mark_RMark_R Member

@earl said:

I honestly hope that you are wrong on that because I had great plans with my dedicated server and I do not want it to blow up out of nowhere. I guess i'll have to search for replacements just in-case.

thanks.

• earlearl Member
    edited June 2014

@MarkTurner said:
    earl - why mtr from the server to the servers local IP? Its not going to show packet loss.

Thanks for pointing that out I would never have thought that, when I mentioned your-IP I meant your home IP not the servers IP or just mtr -4 google.com

• @earl - better to choose something that is known to be well connected rather than home IP. Google or Google DNS 8.8.8.8 are usually good. But watch Google DNS some people seem to be intercepting 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 and serving from their local dns servers

Thanked by 1earl
  • Mark_RMark_R Member
    edited June 2014

MTR from my home IP

Thanked by 1earl
  • Mark_RMark_R Member
    edited June 2014

it makes me wonder, is datashack reselling from wholesaleinternet? all their traffic appears to go through it.

• earlearl Member
    edited June 2014

Mark_R said: I honestly hope that you are wrong on that because I had great plans with my dedicated server and I do not want it to blow up out of nowhere. I guess i'll have to search for replacements just in-case.

thanks.

Well for what it's worth I still have a L5520 server with WSI.. I have enough confidence in them that if there is nothing wrong with the current server I'm not going to cancel.. I've had this server for over six months as well and I can say I've never experienced network issue like I did on the special priced servers..

you can check some of my previous threads as I've done my fair share of recommending DS/WSI cause I think they're great.. I'm just pointing it out from my personal experience not saying for sure this effects all their cheap servers.

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • earlearl Member

@Mark_R said:

Your mtr seems fine.. you can check at different times as it can be intermittent.. I did ask around in a different thread whether anyone else was having issue but can't say anyone replied so it's good to know that your server seems ok.

it makes me wonder, is datashack reselling from wholesaleinternet? all their traffic appears to go through it.

Different owners but WSI takes care of the support and billing for DS.. So it's pretty much under WSI.

• Smokeping (http://oss.oetiker.ch/smokeping/) is quite good for long term latency monitoring

• This is just the start since its taking ages to finish it:

CPU model :  Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-3225 CPU @ 3.30GHz
    Number of cores : 4
    CPU frequency :  1600.000 MHz
    Total amount of ram : 7849 MB
    Total amount of swap : 1951 MB
    System uptime :   32 days, 15:37,
    Download speed from CacheFly: 994KB/s
    Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA: 135KB/s

So yes, sometimes its horrible like this and other times its fine.

Thanked by 1earl
  • earlearl Member

@catalystium said:

Yup! that looks about right.. odd thing is my BW going in is always fine it's the other way that I have a problem..

• Mark_RMark_R Member

@catalystium said:
    This is just the start since its taking ages to finish it:

> CPU model :  Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-3225 CPU @ 3.30GHz
    > Number of cores : 4
    > CPU frequency :  1600.000 MHz
    > Total amount of ram : 7849 MB
    > Total amount of swap : 1951 MB
    > System uptime :   32 days, 15:37,
    > Download speed from CacheFly: 994KB/s
    > Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA: 135KB/s
    > 

So yes, sometimes its horrible like this and other times its fine.

Could you make clear where you get that server from and at what price point + specs? this would help alot.

Thanks.

• @earl said:
    Yup! that looks about right.. odd thing is my BW going in is always fine it's the other way that I have a problem..

Yeah for sure, coming in is no problem.

• @Mark_R said:

Sure thing, exact thing here and same price: https://www.wholesaleinternet.net/cart/?id=177

Except when I ordered it had came with unmetered bandwidth.

Thanked by 1Mark_R