Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ModulesGarden WHMCS Solus module is a joke
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ModulesGarden WHMCS Solus module is a joke

smansman Member
edited June 2014 in General

I don't know what is going on with these guys but I've never had so much trouble trying to get software working properly and then getting them to admit there is a problem. I just finished going through weeks of back and forth where they were telling me they could not reproduce a problem. Basically their function that converts Bytes to KB, MB, GB, and TB is calculating TB wrong. They said they could not reproduce but I was absolutely certain it was a problem with their function.

I was finally able to determine that it was a calculation problem with the function after managing to get them to provide me with the function in plain text. They still haven't fixed it and even now I think they are still in denial. I even created a simulation file they could run and see for themselves.

Now I am going through the same thing with another problem. They use a custom clientpassword field for saving the SolusVM client password. First their latest update caused that to stop working. The part where it's converted to a hash and saved. Now after their 'fix' it is returning the hash value instead of the plain text value which is what the Solus CP expects. Once again they are saying they cannot reproduce that problem. A problem that causes ALL my clients to no longer be able to log into the control panel. In other words a show stopper.

So once again I am going to have to try troubleshoot their software for them. They don't even seem to know how their own software works.

Comments

• wychwych Member

Yeah, I would have a look into any of ModulesGarden's software before use.

I got the trial, didn't work how I needed it to and then never looked back.

• This is also the same with the DNS management software. We looked at using it for RDNS support for customers, but it was completely flaky. We contacted them a few times but got nothing coherent out of them so just rm -rf modulesgarden

• smansman Member
    edited June 2014

@MarkTurner said:
    This is also the same with the DNS management software. We looked at using it for RDNS support for customers, but it was completely flaky. We contacted them a few times but got nothing coherent out of them so just rm -rf modulesgarden

I wish someone told me about these guys before I did this. I never read anything bad about them. The first version of this software passed my testing and worked ok for what I wanted it to do. Been all downhill since then.

• You can also try the modulesfactory proxmox module, the dev is really nice and always will help via skype or remote access I have a few module from him.

https://modulesfactory.com/description-proxmox.php

Thanked by 1exextatic
  • wychwych Member

@ricardo777 said:
    You can also try the modulesfactory proxmox module, the dev is really nice and always will help via skype or remote access I have a few module from him.

https://modulesfactory.com/description-proxmox.php

Don't. http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/25566/modulesgarden-proxmox-vps-1-3-for-whmcs-with-tons-of-new-features

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited June 2014

interesting I was considering using them for a custom project, I wont now and now they are officially partnered with WHMCS things can only get worse, by worse I mean slow to fix things and what works for them is fine with no consideration for the actual host at the end of the software.

• wychwych Member

@AnthonySmith said:
    interesting I was considering using them for a custom project, I wont now and now they are officially partnered with WHMCS things can only get worse, by worse I mean slow to fix things and what works for them is fine with no consideration for the actual host at the end of the software.

Sounds about right, when I had a trial I dropped a few messages about things and didn't get a reply so took the hint.

• smansman Member
    edited June 2014

With their one time charge they have no incentive to listen to paid customers. Only incentive is to get new customers. I had concerns about this going in. Should have listened to my instincts.

• Hello everyone,

@sman We would like to apologise for the problems caused by our module and support. We are doing every effort to solve all the issues in the shortest possible time but sometimes unfortunately we are having difficulties in reproducing a certain problem. That doesn't change the fact that once the reason of issue is clear, we prepare a fix immediately, even on the same day. We don't ask our customers to wait for release of next major version of software like most of companies do. Why? Because we care.

As I can see in all your recent tickets, situation has been solved and we are waiting for your feedback after sending you updated files.

We have a good reputation because we really care about every customer and every reported problem. We don't leave any signal or message that indicates any problem with our services. And we act. Please do not cross us out yet. There are and there will be problems with software but we are doing everything we can to make all the problems as painless for our customers as possible.

I can assure you that we got our lesson and we drew appropriate conclusions which helped us to improve.

Guys, if you are having any problems with our support or quality of our services, then please create a ticket under feedback section. It will be read directly by our Management who will act quickly if there be any negligence on our side, you can be certain about that. Our goal is to satisfy all customers. It's a difficult goal but we will do our best to achieve it.

• smansman Member
    edited June 2014

They DID NOT solve the problem. They sent me 2 different updates for 2 different problems, both called v1.3.3. Not incremental but full updates regardless of whether the files changed or not. I just wasted another Saturday morning customizing the templates yet again and it STILL IS NOT FIXED!

These are not even difficult problems. I'm useless at coding and I was able to troubleshoot things they could not. If I had the unencoded files I could probably fix them myself.

• SkylarMSkylarM Member
    edited June 2014

@sman said:
    To anyone reading this. Stay away from these guys. They DID NOT solve the problem. They sent me 2 different updates for 2 different problems, both called v1.3.3. Not incremental but full updates regardless of whether the files changed or not. I just wasted another Saturday morning customizing the templates yet again and it STILL IS NOT FIXED!

Made the mistake of paying them for some custom work about a month ago. Never truly got what was needed, had to constantly email them to fix stuff they said they fixed but didn't, and still have an issue with some items that haven't yet been addressed. Part of the deal to keep costs low was they'd release some of the items with their general release, and they released the "Updates" with a ton of glaring bugs that made the module unusable for a period of time (bugs which I reported more than once during the process). Had to email them a few times after they prematurely released the "updates" for them to fix it. Overall a pretty horrible customer experience.

• SkylarM said: Made the mistake of paying them for some custom work about a month ago.

I had a module idea and they said $2000

• smansman Member
    edited June 2014

@doughmanes said:

It could very well depend on who you get. I think they just subcontract out to guys who do it in their spare time. My guess is each of their modules are done by different people.

I'm really angry about this because I have wasted a lot of time. These are not just normal software bugs but really obvious basic things that would be caught if they tested these things. Instead they seem to just wing it and then go into denial or try ignore it when you say it's not working.

• doughmanes said: I had a module idea and they said 1,477.76€

Haha sounds like I had the same.

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • tragictragic Member

@SkylarM said:
    Made the mistake of paying them for some custom work about a month ago. Never truly got what was needed, had to constantly email them to fix stuff they said they fixed but didn't, and still have an issue with some items that haven't yet been addressed. Part of the deal to keep costs low was they'd release some of the items with their general release, and they released the "Updates" with a ton of glaring bugs that made the module unusable for a period of time (bugs which I reported more than once during the process). Had to email them a few times after they prematurely released the "updates" for them to fix it. Overall a pretty horrible customer experience.

That nails it for me. I was going to contact them about a module and I'll scratch that off now.

@ModulesGarden perhaps you should run an at cost VPS hosting service, very small scale but true to real world, it is only then you will actually understand the requirements and consequences. IMO this has always been one of the big issues with solusvm, they are so far removed from the real world day to day requirements that things that impact hosts daily sit unfixed for literally years.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

They mean well, they really do. They take on a unique position in the industry to help bridge gaps that exist and have reasonable demand for bridging. Like most companies (in my opinion/observation) their programmers probably have a certain level of disconnection from the end user.

• Well they are a official WHMCS Partner lol, they don't need to fix it they have the money rolling in.

• sman said: It could very well depend on who you get. I think they just subcontract out to guys who do it in their spare time. My guess is each of their modules are done by different people.

I'm really angry about this because I have wasted a lot of time.

Makes me glad for not diving in at the price

• smansman Member
    edited June 2014

I still use the solus module for creating VPS's because this module never did as good a job at that. Now the client area doesn't work properly and maybe never will so I might have to go back to using the solus module for everything.

• smansman Member
    edited June 2014

@Jar said:
    They mean well, they really do. They take on a unique position in the industry to help bridge gaps that exist and have reasonable demand for bridging. Like most companies (in my opinion/observation) their programmers probably have a certain level of disconnection from the end user.

This is a disconnect from their own software when I seem to know how it works better than they do. When I seem to be able to test it better than they do just by doing some bare minimum things.

• sman said: This is a disconnect from their own software when I seem to know how it works better than they do. When I seem to be able to test it better than they do just by doing some bare minimum things.

Reason is simple if you think about it.

The people who built it were likely on a freelance / contract basis, and they have no idea how it works. Everything appears outsourced, and the same people don't appear to work on more than one project.

I'd be doubtful if they had any people on board that actually knew usable PHP / how things work.

• smansman Member
    edited June 2014

@Wintereise said:
    I'd be doubtful if they had any people on board that actually knew usable PHP / how things work.

Yes you are probably right. Also the people who are doing the coding probably don't use English as their first language.

• @sman said:
    Yes you are probably right. Also the people who are doing the coding probably don't use English as their first language.

It's a polish company... does that help you :P

• smansman Member
    edited June 2014

So now they are saying it's designed to work this way. Even though it never worked this way before and in fact DOES NOT WORK NOW with their current templates they are saying it is designed to work this way.

So now I am screwed! They will not fix it and I currently have a bunch of customers running what is essentially now broken and will not be fixed.

• smansman Member
    edited June 2014

Let me show you exactly what I am talking about.

Unfortunately, the module is prepared so that it stores the client password as a hash. We do not want to change it because it is unsafe and no one asked for it before.

So according to them this is all by design. Nobody asked for this before. Why would people ask for something to work. That is just crazy talk.

So now let me show you what their template does with this password.

<form action="{$solus_server}/login.php" method="post" target="_blank"> <input type="hidden" name="username" value="{$mg_custom_username_variable}" /> <input type="hidden" name="password" value="{$mg_custom_password_variable}" /> <input type="hidden" name="Submit" value="Login" /> </form>

Does not take a rocket scientist to see there is a problem here. The form is submitting the password hash to the Solus CP. Shockingly, Solus doesn't accept that because it expects the plain text password as if you are typing it at a keyboard. Such a minor detail, just doesn't work. Not a big deal. Nobody asked for that...where it actually worked....like in v1.2 of this same software.

Yes of course the password needs to be hashed in the DB which is it like it always has been. That was broken too btw....So their 'fix' is to break it some other way and then say its by design to be permanently broken and always worked this way...which of course it didn't.

Thanked by 1Licensecart

tagging them for response: @ModulesGarden

• smansman Member

I should also point out that their current denial comes AFTER they sent me a patch saying they corrected this exact problem. I can't even keep track of the denials and inconsistent responses anymore.

• wychwych Member

@AnthonySmith said:
    tagging them for response: ModulesGarden

I'm not sure there will be one, they seem to come here to announce and thats it near enough.

And yes, they clearly have their own plans for their modules - http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/25566/modulesgarden-proxmox-vps-1-3-for-whmcs-with-tons-of-new-features (Note I am not a customer and would be a new sale, just for the people that see it as they have already paid and had no fixes.)

• smansman Member
    edited June 2014

@wych said:
    And yes, they clearly have their own plans for their modules - http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/25566/modulesgarden-proxmox-vps-1-3-for-whmcs-with-tons-of-new-features (Note I am not a customer and would be a new sale, just for the people that see it as they have already paid and had no fixes.)

They are all about adding bells and whistles to make the software look as appealing as possible...not so much about testing that those features still work as you add more and more features requiring more and more testing effort. I would normally call that a classic well intentioned mistake if these guys seemed the least bit interested in fixing the problems