Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Uses for Windows Servers? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Uses for Windows Servers?

Comments

• petrispetris Member

@rds100 said:
    Which microsoft office version can you use with a windows server?

Any.

• VPNVPN Member

@petris said:
    Any.

Correct.

As a GSP, we wouldn't be able to offer half our products of we were using Linux.

Battlefield, CoD, ArmA and so on can't run with mono unfortunately.

Plus I prefer the Windows version of Plesk and although I'm happy to use a CLI, things like DNS and file management are just so much easier with a familiar GUI.

• ehab said: what server specs are you using if i may ask?

Kimsufi i3 with 8GB RAM/1TB HDD/100mbit port. Running with three constant users (all using office programs and web browsers) very happily. 4% CPU and 45% memory usage right now :)

Thanked by 1ehab
  • Some software tend to be platform specific and non-portable, and therefore you may need Windows for such purpose. This includes both desktop and server software, for example, Canon DPP, SmarterMail Server, and etc.

Personally I do spin up virtual instances on laptop from time to time to do software testing and evaluation, but it'd definitely be easier if I do it on VPS since I don't have to do any NAT and such.

As for ASP.Net, Mono can't be a replacement especially if you have codes that intertwined with the Windows COM components. There are of course alternatives and workarounds, but I don't see any reasons going that route, except for the cost factor probably.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

GoodHosting said: It's more the fact that you can keep your tabs / documents open without ever having to close them,

Well, there is that thing called apmd.

• Active Directory over VPN for messing around, doesn't work very well though. HyperV, windows only game servers and torrenting/general messing around are also other uses.

I know one guy that does some sort of rendering/editing on an online.net E3 box, i'm sure that would be better at home anyway...

• wychwych Member

IIS/ASP - VBbasic etc.

• Linux has nothing like an Exchange server - nothing. Along with MVC/ASP.NET and T-TQL I completely understand why someone would go with Windows over Linux.

I've developed with Mono and it was horrible. No support for async operations, issues with crypto operations, etc. I will never use Mono/MVC again.

Thanked by 1VPN
  • awsonawson Member

Solitaire

• VPNVPN Member

@Silvenga said:
    Linux has nothing like an Exchange server - nothing. Along with MVC/ASP.NET and T-TQL I completely understand why someone would go with Windows over Linux.

I've developed with Mono and it was horrible. No support for async operations, issues with crypto operations, etc. I will never use Mono/MVC again.

+1

• GunterGunter Member

Still hungry for more curiosity, so treat this as a mild bump.

• ehabehab Member

windows - Needs budget most useful apps are not free, cannot customize 100% , dummy proof so you cant go wrong.

Linux - Low budget if at all needed. Can customize the os to the bare kernel level, needs a console bash skills.

i worked with windows for 12 years and converted to Linux-based os's and will not choose windows at all.

• cassacassa Member

I'm running plex, active directory and a vpn (ad) on it

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@ehab said:
    windows - Needs budget most useful apps are not free, cannot customize 100% , dummy proof so you cant go wrong.

You are actually talking about IOS and the Mac world with those words.

• nerouxneroux Member

Lovely, the usual Windows-vs-ix discussion ;).

Seriously, there is no better or worse. There is barely anything that only one system can provide.

• rmlhhdrmlhhd Member

RemoteApp

• AlexanderMAlexanderM Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@MikHo said:

Mac OS is based on UNIX, so you can customize a fair on on the terminal.

• nerouxneroux Member

@AlexanderM said:
    Mac OS is based on UNIX, so you can customize a fair on on the terminal.

Similar customisations are also possible on Windows.

@ehab would not to elaborate here a bit what he actually mean. But I generally understand what @MikHo meant and agree.

• @linuxthefish said:
    Active Directory over VPN for messing around, doesn't work very well though. HyperV, windows only game servers and torrenting/general messing around are also other uses.

I know one guy that does some sort of rendering/editing on an online.net E3 box, i'm sure that would be better at home anyway...

Not a must though, if he needs to download something, and needs it to be on 24/7, running it on online.net would actually be better. Unless he is in a country with fast internet and can withstand with the heat generated by the E3(which is not so much, I know, but there's still heat).

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • ehabehab Member

@MikHo said:

for a normal user - i'd go with windows and if i am a normal user with more cash i would go with Mac and thge Apple culture.

since i am a developer I'd stick with Linux and the open source.

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • ehabehab Member

@neroux said:
    ehab would not to elaborate here a bit what he actually mean. But I generally understand what MikHo meant and agree.

what would you like me to explain or give examples for?

• nerouxneroux Member
    edited June 2014

@ehab said:
    what would you like me to explain or give examples for?

What you meant about the customisation.

• ehabehab Member

@neroux said:
    What you meant about the customisation.

just a few examples i came across the last 2 weeks or so:

• some registry hacks are needed to apply on windows 8.1 for version 7 compatibility and are temporary if an update is applied e.g: Theme colors.
    • powershell / othershell is needed for advanced shell command handling e.g. alias
    • run into a deadend or sporadic reboots if disabling too many services, i have not came across a bare windows and will not search anymore.
  • nerouxneroux Member

But this is rather in favour of Windows as far as customisation is concerned.

• ehabehab Member

normal user agree with you, my level/type of usage i will stay away from windows

• nerouxneroux Member

ehab said: i will stay away from windows

Out of curiousity, why? A particular reason or rather a personal feeling?

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@ehab said:
    some registry hacks are needed to apply on windows 8.1 for version 7 compatibility and are temporary if an update is applied e.g: Theme colors.

Change the registry entry and deny delete and/or write access to that key.
    Should solve the "problem"

@ehab said:
    powershell / othershell is needed for advanced shell command handling e.g. alias

Same thing in any Linux flavour, you need a terminal.

@ehab said:
    run into a deadend or sporadic reboots if disabling too many services, i have not came across a bare windows and will not search anymore.

If you disable the "wrong" services then you will encounter this, but I suspect that goes for whatever OS you are using?

• ehabehab Member
    • expensive , need to buy apps, tools to work with windows
    • expensive and extensive resources, a kvm sever with at least 2GB ram, 50GB HDD is needed.
    • open source is recent, linux was from day 1
    • current hot topic "cloud" most useful stack i came across was linux based.
  • ehabehab Member
    edited June 2014

@MikHo said:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Colors] try to change that and logout/in on windows 8.

default terminals on Linux are enough, i had to look for Console2 and takecommand to get rid of the limitations of default windiows cmd.

cleaning up in safe mode may not help and need to reinstall, and go figure the bluescreen dumps :)

• edited June 2014

My company uses Windows for :

• Running an internal customer service management system
    • Running a webserver using ASPX
    • Aruba
    • Private email server for corporate

For me, I use windows for :

• Remote desktop
    • FTP Server
    • Download and Backup ISO from one place to another
    • Teraria server :p
    • Keep me online in a forum