Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Today is PROMETEUS.COM 15th birthday :-) - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Today is PROMETEUS.COM 15th birthday :-)

Comments

• bobbybobby Member

12gb is small for this offer, really?

Thanked by 1Infinity
  • Happy Birthday!

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

I see. For this special we had to balance the resources :-)

• pcanpcan Member

@bobby: The offer is great, of course. My concern on disk size is because many yearly special offers have more, and I usually end up using all the space. Some random examples: the 10 GBP/y 128Mb MiniVPS gives 15 Gb, the 128Mb BuyVM also 15 Gb. The small sized disk is a obvious trade-off, because fast SAS storage and high-end CPU are premium features. A slower and cheaper local NFS mount option could be useful to store mostly static data.

• vedranvedran Veteran

256MB, 12GB KVM for $18/year, and your reason to complain is "not enough storage"?

• antivenantiven Member

@pcan said: Some random examples: the 10 GBP/y 128Mb MiniVPS gives 15 Gb, the 128Mb BuyVM also 15 Gb.

Yes, but are they OpenVZ or Xen/KVM? OpenVZs are typically cheaper.

• @antiven said: Yes, but are they OpenVZ or Xen/KVM? OpenVZs are typically cheaper.

and do they get 450+MB/s dd results?

[root@italy2 ~]# dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=16k count=64k conv=fdatasync
    65536+0 records in
    65536+0 records out
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 2.22585 s, 482 MB/s
  • Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

Congrats

• ivpsivps Member

Where are servers located?

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited May 2012

@ivps said: Where are servers located?

Milan, Italy AS34971

:P

• mojedamojeda Member

Congrats!

• shunnyshunny Member

Congrats! I have had service with them for just over a month and I have to say their services are very stable and of awesome quality compared to the ridiculously cheap prices. :)

• jcalebjcaleb Member

is there an offer? only for existing iperweb clients or for let people also?

• marrcomarrco Member
    edited May 2012

@antiven said: are they OpenVZ or Xen/KVM? OpenVZs are typically cheaper

KVM nodes, located in Milan, very north of Italy. I can ping to most Europe below 20ms. Servers are in the largest datacenter of Italy where Prometeus has really huge pipes, I think multiple 10gb connectivity. ( http://iperweb.com/site/our_infrastructure.php ) They own full racks and are a LIR, so IP space is not a problem. Definitely not the usual low end provider. They are a well known provider entering the LEB market with great offers.

IMHO the best VPS offer in Europe this year.

@jcaleb it's for all but i think i understimate the number of vps existing clients were willing to buy. I'll send you details via pm.

Thanks guys!

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited May 2012

My wishlist for a future offer:

• more bandwidth (500+ and maybe unmetered incoming?)
    • more storage (15 or 30 GB)
    • not yearly, quarterly at most
    • doesn't have to be KVM, OpenVZ would be okay

@rm_ said: My wishlist for a future offer:

I think we did all sort of offers on openvz and it's ok give away some resources as a marketing driver, but at some point you need to not exceed (after all servers, colocation, bandwidth, etc. aren't free) if you like to stay in business year after year :-)

However you will see that some offer will be available even for the openvz packages. the long term commitment is a way for us to not attract bad guys interested to have a box to abuse for 1-2$.
    We're tired to be targeted by 1-2G udp ddos directed to some camfrogserver user that when contacted will tell us that he had setup some iptables rules to prevent dos. :-(

• jcalebjcaleb Member
    edited May 2012

@prometeus thanks, i love it! how many can we take for each person? but its out of stock for now.... will wait for your updates....

edit: ordered 1 now.... very excited. more power man! happy anniv.

• antivenantiven Member

@prometeus said: However you will see that some offer will be available even for the openvz packages.

So you will be releasing an openvz offer too?

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited May 2012

@prometeus said: the long term commitment is a way for us to not attract bad guys

And the lack of desire to "long term commitment" is a way for me not to attract bad providers. If I already paid, what incentive does a provider have some 6 months down the road to provide quality service? Since the client already paid, they can't stop paying if they're unhappy, ask for a refund 6 months into the term, can't do anything.

Yearly == client is powerless and totally at the mercy of a provider. With monthly - the moment I dislike how the support replied, or in case of repeating downtimes, or low disk I/O, or whatever, next month I can just pack up and leave, no hard feelings and no need to have tolerate lost money and useless VPS sitting around just because it's prepaid for a full year, but halfway that the quality deteriorated.

So for me the choice is monthly term, or maybe quarterly, but it's the longest I will consider.

@rm_ said: And the lack of desire to "long term commitment" is a way for me not to attract bad providers.

You are right and we do have a lot of people that pay even 1$/month (remove the paypal fee and look at what we get) from previous offers. We still have a 50% discount for new clients on the first month so you can try us with minimal investment and all plans have a monthly fee to buy.

What we've decided is that offers like this, where the fee is way under the current market value, cannot be abused and there should be a trust between us and the client.

If you are worried about the future then don't subscribe this offer, just look at the other offers we still do on the monthly plans ;-)

• jcalebjcaleb Member

let's try to report after few months of using the service.

• SpeedBusSpeedBus Member, Host Rep

Happy Birthdayyy ! :D Awesome VPS Company !

• marrcomarrco Member

@jcaleb said: let's try to report after few months of using the service.

I'm already using Prometeus since their first offer here. No problems so far. But no surprise, they're celebrating their 15th birthday as a real, registered company, so it's more likely they will be here next year than most of other LEB providers.

[@prometeus said]: the long term commitment is a way for us to not attract bad guys

+1 for this too. Whatever helps keep the node clean, stable and fast is a plus for me. Ditto for the keeping paypal expenses minimal. Most of the the best offers here (BuyVM OVZ 128 for 15/y, QuickWeb OVZ 256 for 35,88/y etc.) are annual. This 256/KVM with SSD disks for 18/y is not different. A little risky but a greater deal.

That's what i expect from a budget VPS: most bang for the buck.

• zhuanyizhuanyi Member

Sold out now...I forgot to grab one last night and it looks like I have missed it :(

• zhuanyizhuanyi Member

By the way @prometeus do you guys allow floating IPs?

• jcalebjcaleb Member

@marrco agree

@zhuanyi pm prometeus, he can make a way for you.

• jcalebjcaleb Member

may i ask a noob question. this is my very first kvm. im only used to openvz and xen, where i reinstall image by clicking and then ssh to server. i dont have any idea where to start in kvm =) can someone point to some simple beginner guide?

• proximaproxima Member
    edited May 2012

@prometeus

May I have details of new offer please

• @jcaleb said: may i ask a noob question. this is my very first kvm. im only used to openvz and xen, where i reinstall image by clicking and then ssh to server. i dont have any idea where to start in kvm =) can someone point to some simple beginner guide?

Select the ISO you want, click power off, click boot, connect VNC, install ISO