Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SolusVM Alternative
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

SolusVM Alternative

Does anyone know any good SolusVM Alternatives.

Comments

• IceCreamIceCream Member
    edited May 2014

idk Feathur maybe? Or Virtualizor?

Thanked by 1MacPac
  • stop being lazy and write your own panel!

• rmlhhdrmlhhd Member

Proxmox

Thanked by 1MacPac
  • wychwych Member

Feathur/Proxmox... @sz1hosting also said Virtualizor had got better.

Thanked by 2sz1hosting MacPac
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

@asterisk14 said:
    stop being lazy and write your own panel!

It is not really being lazy, it could/ would take literally years to first of all develop the required skill set to even get started doing something on that scale with API that can integrate with payment gateways securely and then another year to actually write it.

Or as someone here once said... did you write the browser you used to make that comment? :p I suspect not and it is not because you are lazy.

Anyway... cloudmin, hostguard, proxmox, virtualizor, openstack.

If you are looking for something that will allow you to migrate from solusvm the only one I know of is hostguard.

Thanked by 1Licensecart
  • KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

+1 for writing your own panel. It'll take at most 2-3 months with very little PHP knowledge, less than a month if you want to invest more than 10 hours a week and know how to Google. :)

• PremiumNPremiumN Member
    edited May 2014

@asterisk14 said:
    stop being lazy and write your own panel!

If you can fund it

@KuJoe good to see your name pop up here, hope business is going well for you :)

Really 2 - 3 months from knowing very little php to having a reliable panel that replaces the features of solusvm with multiple virt support and API for billing integration?

I hope that is not true or I am feeling a little bit silly :)

• asterisk14asterisk14 Member
    edited May 2014

@AnthonySmith said:
    It is not really being lazy, it could/ would take literally years to first of all develop the required skill set to even get started doing something on that scale with API that can integrate with payment gateways securely and then another year to actually write it.

I was taking thE p155, but never mind.

Or as someone here once said... did you write the browser you used to make that comment? :p I suspect not and it is not because you are lazy.

I'm assuming he wants to use a different panel to save money. I no need to write a browser, I'm using NCSA Mosaic which is free.

Thanked by 1AnthonySmith

If you don't mind it being integrated into the billing system them yes, 2-3 months max with little PHP experience and a few hours a weekend.

I had KVM support working but I dropped it to get it live faster but I might add it back in later after I finish adding the self migration feature for OpenVZ.

nice one @KuJoe and sorry @asterisk14 :)

@KuJoe did you write your own console access module and graphing etc for bandwidth or does Wyvern essentially talk to solusvm

@AnthonySmith the OpenVZ console is using the SSH wrapper from SolusVM but the rest is all custom code. The graphs are only for a 24 hour period but it does have monthly bandwidth reporting.

The only SolusVM licenses we have are for our KVM nodes and the master but we also have a license for HostGuard to play around with since SolusVM is severely lacking in some features and doesn't mesh well with Wyvern (Wyvern gives each client their own /64 of IPv6, SolusVM uses a shared /64 block and doesn't let client's assign their own IPs).

• BradBrad Member

Virtualizor

• BlastVMBlastVM Member

Just contacted Hostguard regarding conversion.

• qpsqps Member, Host Rep

BlastVM said: Just contacted Hostguard regarding conversion.

I hope you have better luck hearing back from them. We contacted them a few times and they never got back to us. They've also seemingly stopped or severely slowed development, as Xen support was supposed to be released by the end of February, and as far as I can tell is still not out yet.

• nerouxneroux Member

AnthonySmith said: Or as someone here once said... did you write the browser you used to make that comment?

Pff, sure of course. Now just tell me you did not ;-)

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@BlastVM said:
    Just contacted Hostguard regarding conversion.

You might want to have a chat with @HTTPZoom too, they've just exited what sounds like a painful few weeks of using HostGuard.

• Why is it HostGuard anyway... it's a VPS control panel, right?

AnthonySmith said: Really 2 - 3 months from knowing very little php to having a reliable panel that replaces the features of solusvm with multiple virt support and API for billing integration?

Depends really, certainly possible.

• CloudxtnyHostCloudxtnyHost Member, Host Rep

@BlastVM we've had to move back, although the software looks completed we found for OpenVZ it left a lot to be desired and the migration process was the most painful I've ever experienced.

We needed a fully rounded product, thought we bought that and in addition paid for extra features to be developed. Unfortunately that was wasted funds!

• RalliasRallias Member

asterisk14 said: stop being lazy and write your own panel!

That's not as easy as it sounds.

• @Rallias said:
    That's not as easy as it sounds.

I said it as a joke!

• Feathur

• virtulizor or feathur

• NavynNavyn Member

Proxmox..

• VDS6VDS6 Member

There is VEmanager/VMmanager. We are currently using them.

Feathur - Supports OpenVZ+KVM does everything solusvm does but no import feature, maintained by BlueVM.

virtualizor - Supports OpenVZ+KVM+Xen+XenServer, is essentially a direct replacement for solusvm and has solusvm import features if you already have solusvm installed.

HostGuard - Supports OpenVZ+KVM again does everything solusvm does but development recently stalled.

Proxmox - not really designed with the hosting industry in mind, supports KVM+OpenVZ.

And............... I just realized this is a necro post.... damn it.

• emgemg Veteran
    edited July 2014

I am an end user, not a VPS provider. I have used:

• SolusVM - SolusVM is the most commonly deployed VPS control panel by far. I keep reading about security issues associated with it. One of my VPS providers was completely devastated by a SolusVM bug that took out all of their VPSs just over a year ago.

• Feathur - Maintained by Justin Johnston and the people who run BlueVM. I liked Feathur, but no more or less than SolusVM. It did a good job of providing the functionality I needed for my VPS. It has a different user interface compared with SolusVM, but is neither better nor worse. I did not have a good experience with my BlueVM VPS, and I have read complaints from users and providers about slow Feathur support as well. Overall, given a choice of the alternate control panels I have used, if you are looking for an alternative to SolusVM, Feather would be the best choice.

• VirtPanel - NOT RECOMMENDED. I noticed that VirtPanel has not been mentioned yet. I had a VPS that used VirtPanel for a while. The VPS provider switched away from VirtPanel to SolusVM. I did not like the VirtPanel user interface, but I hated their security model. You authenticate to the virtpanel.com server, which then connects to your VPS (or its host node) via SSH. In other words, they have the keys-to-the-kingdom for every VPS hosted by all of their customers. Thus you must trust both VirtPanel and your VPS provider to maintain good security to protect your VPS. (Obviously, you must secure your VPS for yourself as well.)

Thanked by 1aglodek
  • >

Feathur - Supports OpenVZ+KVM does everything solusvm does but no import feature, maintained by BlueVM.

virtualizor - Supports OpenVZ+KVM+Xen+XenServer, is essentially a direct replacement for solusvm and has solusvm import features if you already have solusvm installed.

HostGuard - Supports OpenVZ+KVM again does everything solusvm does but development recently stalled.

Proxmox - not really designed with the hosting industry in mind, supports KVM+OpenVZ.

And............... I just realized this is a necro post.... damn it.

You mentioned Cloudmin earlier on, but did not list it here - any reason for that? Have you had any experience with it, and if so, how does it compare with the others?

I'm a fan of Virtualmin and Cloudmin seems to play very well with it, hence my interest...

Other than that, Virtualizor looks pretty good, too. One question from a hosting business perspective: does it have a white label type reseller panel like SolusVM has?