Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

AMD FX-8350 vs Intel Core i5 4570 for Gaming - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

AMD FX-8350 vs Intel Core i5 4570 for Gaming

Comments

• agonyztagonyzt Member
    edited May 2014

From my experience with both AMD CPUs and GPUs, it's always a gamble. Some game will run just fine (or even slightly better than the Intel/NVIDIA counterparts), but some game will just suffer from bad performance due to the lack of optimization by the developers. Going for Intel and NVIDIA doesn't mean everything will be better, it just mean it's going to be consistent.

If you look at available benchmarks, you will see than in most cases, when AMD leads, it's by a small margin. When Intel/NVIDIA leads, it destroys the competition.

So if you're looking for a system that will reliably offer good performances, stay away from AMD. If you're looking to save a couple of bucks and you're willing to take the risk of having some games not running properly, go AMD.

• I might go for the Intel Core 4670k

Not sure yet... but it's better than the 4570 because i can overclock the 4670k

• FX8350 has 4 module and each module has 2 integer processing unit and 1 fpu(floating point unit). So for things that require integer processing, it will be faster but it will be slower in things that requires the fpu to work on.

• retryretry Member

@joodle 4670k is a really good choice, don't forget to get a Z87 mobo for overclocking.

• AThomasHoweAThomasHowe Member
    edited May 2014

I bought an i7 3770k with the intention of over clocking, thus far I've seen no need though. Runs great at stock clock. Still nice to have the option though.

• key900 said: As far as i know AMD GPU get corrupted from heat.

Source?

shovenose said: Keep in mind that the FX8350 is not really a true eight core CPU. It's really a quad core with some fancy things to let them market it as an eight core. Windows 8 is smart enough to call it a "4 Core" CPU when you install it.

It's pretty much a true eight core cpu, they just share a teeny bit.
    It's been pointed out over and over, unlike intel's ht, disabling one core actually makes a difference as opposed to turning off/on ht.

Also, the 8350 rapes a 3rd gen i5

• @duckeeyuck said:
    Also, the 8350 rapes a 3rd gen i5

Benchmarks from a reliable source that confirm this for anything that actually matters?

duckeeyuck said: It's pretty much a true eight core cpu, they just share a teeny bit.

I'm not sure I would consider FPUs a teeny bit . . .

Thanked by 1shovenose
  • shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep
    edited May 2014

Keep in mind you will save money in the long run if you buy Intel because AMD uses more power. Power and cooling are expensive!

I switched from an FX-8350 to an I7-4770K when Haswell was just released. Lots less heat pumping out the back. I also have a computer with an I5-3570K. Both of the Intel systems feel more responsive. Not to say the AMD was bad it is a good CPU but in most cases the Intel runs faster and more efficient.

There was a time when this was opposite. The Pentium 4 was a distaster. Hot power hog with less.performance. but now AMD is playing catch up.

• I have done some research on both CPU's

Currently AMD's FX-8320/50 is better with games such as Battlefield 4 and Crysis 3, those are the games i will be playing the most

But Intel is better at MMO's such as WoW (i dont play this) But i do play War Thunder, however War Thunder doesn't need much processing power (running it maxed out @ my laptop)

Also, the FX-8320/50 can be overclocked to ~4.8 - 5Ghz, at that point the performance will be equal, if not better, to the Intel Core i5 4670k

I already have found a massive cooler (Scythe Mugen) which will help cooling the AMD

I'm going for the AMD this time again, since i'm an AMD fanboy (Always had AMD)

• joodle said: Currently AMD's FX-8320/50 is better with games such as Battlefield 4 and Crysis 3, those are the games i will be playing the most

The minimum is better, the Intel has a better average though.

• My budget just got a little bit higher

As from the bechmarks, i'm looking at the i7 4770k now (I REALLY HATE CHOOSING!)

Might go for that, OR i will go for the i5 4670k and an R9 280X (From XFX)

edited May 2014

@joodle When I got my 3770k the 4770k was out, but my research at the time indicated the 5-10% boost wasn't worth it because of the better integrated GPU, meaning the proc runs hotter. If you want to over clock noodle you could get more than the 5-10% generation boost, maybe, with the lower temps.

Something to consider seeing as you're spending on the GPUs.

• PwnerPwner Member
    edited May 2014

Based on my experiences:

Intel + Nvidia combo > AMD + Radeon combo

Any day of the week for me.

• Microlinux said: Benchmarks from a reliable source that confirm this for anything that actually matters?

well now
    imageimage

• So it's either the i7 4770k with the MSI Radeon R9 270X or the i5 4670k with the MSI Radeon R9 280X

I have until this weekend to choose..

• Get a Xeon E3 instead of the i7, it's basically the same without the graphics unit and limited overclocking, but it's 50€ or so cheaper

edited May 2014

joodle said: So it's either the i7 4770k with the MSI Radeon R9 270X or the i5 4670k with the MSI Radeon R9 280X

Is gaming your biggest concern? i5 with the better GPU.

edit: Do you have another rig/do you need another rig for anything else? If not you don't need 16GB RAM for a gaming rig to save you a few bucks. If it'll be your every day machine though maybe worth it.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

rm_ said: the last Intel CPU in my primary computer was a Celeron-300A back in around 2000. :)

Ha!
    Had a 333 one on a socket mounted on an adapted for a slot :P The fan died pretty fast, but didnt seem to be bothered.
    That said, most sh computers i get come with intel, new ones I buy with AMD because for the same price I feel amd gives more power. I really cant wait the ARM opterons :)

• agonyztagonyzt Member
    edited May 2014

joodle said: So it's either the i7 4770k with the MSI Radeon R9 270X or the i5 4670k with the MSI Radeon R9 280X

I have until this weekend to choose..

I would personally take the i5 with the 280X for gaming. Well, to be honest I would go for a GTX770 instead of the 280X but that's another story ;)

P.S.: I've been an AMD/ATI fanboy since the Athlon 64 days and yet, my next computer will be an Intel/NVIDIA combo. Tired of this "random" sub-par performance in some games (mostly MMO).

• @duckeeyuck

It looks like a great CPU if you archive files and run POV-Ray all day, and don't care about power draw.

• Still hard to choose... The MSI R9 280X just got sold out here :( (yes, from all online shops here)

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

I'll go for the GTX880 :P

• @netomx said:
    I'll go for the GTX880 :P

Lol...

Anyway, will there be any FPS increase/decrease with the i7 4770k and R9 270X and the i5 4670k and R9 280X?

• FPS increase with the i5 and 280X, especially if you OC the i5 a little bit. Most games will do absolutely fine on a stock i5 to be honest but best to be safe than sorry I guess. 4 GHz should be no problem.

What cooling are you going for?

• AThomasHowe said: What cooling are you going for?

Just air cooling (3rd party cooler ofc), i'll buy a H80i (had it before) in a couple of months

Anyway, I just watched the Tek Syndicate video about the AMD FX-8350 and he recommends it for gaming (and streaming)

I really hate this.. will have to choose between 3 CPU's :(

• joodle said: Just air cooling (3rd party cooler ofc), i'll buy a H80i (had it before) in a couple of months

If you're waiting a bit maybe go with the H100i. Thermaltake are really good too (I have a... Water 2 Pro?), usually outperform the corsair coolers at the same price. The Pro (not the Extreme) fits in a 120mm fan too, not a 240 like the H100i or Thermaltake Water Extreme.

• I think i'm going AMD again this time

I will even have some money left for another 8GB RAM (16GB total) if i go for the AMD build

• I have ordered the AMD system

Ordered the following:

LG 23" IPS Monitor

1TB WD Blue HDD

AMD FX-8350 Black Edition CPU

XFX Radeon R9 280X 3GB Double Dissipation Graphics card

8GB 1600Mhz Crucial Ballistix Tactical RAM

Seasonic 520Watts PSU

Corsair H100i Watercooling/CPU Cooling

CoolerMaster N300 case

Things i have left @ home which will be used for the computer:

120GB Samsung EVO SSD

Some casefans from Corsair

Should be enough for gaming for the upcoming 2 years i hope

• georgegeorge Member
    edited May 2014

@joodle said:
    I have ordered the AMD system

H100i sounds like waste of money.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited May 2014

joodle said: Seasonic 520Watts PSU

I'd say that's really pushing it, with a CPU TDP of 125W and video card TDP of 250W, you don't leave yourself a lot of space for overclocking, for a 2nd video card (in fact can forget about that entirely), or just some headroom for stability etc. I'd get a 600W PSU as the bare minimum for such system, or 750W just to be sure and with future upgrades in mind.