Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CloudAtCost 50% off today - 1 Core/512MB/10GB VPS for $17.5 one time payment - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

CloudAtCost 50% off today - 1 Core/512MB/10GB VPS for $17.5 one time payment

Comments

• @zhuanyi said:
    151 Front is a large colo building in downtown Toronto, so they might have the business registered there

Could be. I know that 151 Front is one of the most desirable buildings in the Greater Toronto Area. It is definitely not the same as a DC in Kitchener. I just found it weird that they are advertising a Kitchener DC, but they put the address down as a completely different building... in a city a 100 kilometers away.

• souensouen Member

My guess is what zhuanyi said, 151 Front being TORIX headquarters, a number of providers have offices there. The DC is in Kitchener ... still not sure where the solar panels come in.

• zhuanyizhuanyi Member

@souen said:
    Network's not that good at the moment. Hope it won't be like this afterwards every time they do a network "upgrade".

I guess that's the trade-off :) They probably stick in a better hard drive and not to pay a few bandwidth bills :)

• souensouen Member
    edited May 2014

@zhuanyi Yeah :) It's rough around the edges (the cpu/ram display in the control panel doesn't work), but no complaints here. Got a small site on one that chugs along fine so far. Not too bad for the price and location.

• tomletomle Member, LIR
    edited May 2014

It's gotten worse...

CPU model : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU L5520 @ 2.27GHz Number of cores : 1 CPU frequency : 2266.747 MHz Total amount of ram : 490 MB Total amount of swap : 2015 MB System uptime : 71 days, 8:29, Download speed from Cachefly: 9.92MB/s Download speed from Tele2, Stockholm, SE: 427KB/s Download speed from Bahnhof, Stockholm, SE: 197KB/s Download speed from Portlane, Stockholm, SE: 272KB/s Download speed from Comhem, Stockholm, SE: 968KB/s Download speed from Netatonce, Stockholm, SE: 332KB/s Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 1.46MB/s Download speed from Softlayer, Amsterdam, NL: 1.38MB/s Download speed from Linode, London, UK: 608KB/s Download speed from Weloveservers, Kent, UK: 218KB/s Download speed from Leaseweb, Frankfurt, DE: 462KB/s Download speed from OVH, Paris, FR: 278KB/s Download speed from Linode, Newark, NJ: 2.88MB/s Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 3.35MB/s Download speed from Weloveservers, Orlando, FL: 322KB/s Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 2.43MB/s Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 846KB/s I/O speed : 11.2 MB/s

• @earl said:
    Think I would rather pay 50 cents/month then $17.50 one-time.. Thats like prepaying for 3 years..

Where is the $0.50/month offer please? This is 17.50 one time. So if someone here is 10 yrs old like quite a few of the posters here, they will get 65yrs of service which is $0.02/month for 512MB VPS, not sure that that can be beaten!

@tomle said:
    It's gotten worse...CPU model : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU L5520 @ 2.27GHz Number of cores : 1 CPU frequency : 2266.747 MHz Total amount of ram : 490 MB Total amount of swap : 2015 MB System uptime : 71 days, 8:29, Download speed from Cachefly: 9.92MB/s Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 1.46MB/s Download speed from Softlayer, Amsterdam, NL: 1.38MB/s Download speed from Linode, London, UK: 608KB/s Download speed from Weloveservers, Kent, UK: 218KB/s Download speed from Leaseweb, Frankfurt, DE: 462KB/s Download speed from OVH, Paris, FR: 278KB/s Download speed from Linode, Newark, NJ: 2.88MB/s Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 3.35MB/s Download speed from Weloveservers, Orlando, FL: 322KB/s Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 2.43MB/s Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 846KB/s I/O speed : 11.2 MB/s

Uptime looks pretty good at 71 days, I/O poor but useable, network OK-ish. Can't complain for $0.02/month. Do you want the moon on a stick as well?

Thanked by 1switsys
  • GunterGunter Member

Some people host a Tor exit node on this provider. They don't seem to properly monitor their nodes.

• earlearl Member

asterisk14 said: Where is the $0.50/month offer please? This is 17.50 one time.

If you read the title it's 50% off everything today! but yeah you got to pay a year up front so instead of $1/mo prepay at $12 a year it's now $6/y so 50 cent/month.

still better than paying $17.50..

Thanked by 1jar
  • asterisk14asterisk14 Member
    edited May 2014

@earl said:

How is $6 better than $17.50, with the latter, you get lifetime service! In for a penny, in for a pound.

Thanked by 1switsys
  • earlearl Member

asterisk14 said: How is $6 better than $17.50, with the latter, you get lifetime service!

If you think they will honor your $17.50 one-time fee for a lifetime of service then you are the 10 year old and they just stole your candy!

Thanked by 1jar
  • asterisk14asterisk14 Member
    edited May 2014

@earl said:

Doesn't look like they will fold. If someone gets 1.5-2 years they will have got their monies worth.

Thanked by 1switsys
  • earlearl Member
    edited May 2014

asterisk14 said: Doesn't look like they will fold.

Sure.. keep telling yourself that, and in 65 years you can come back and tell me i was wrong..that you definetly got your money's worth.

Thanked by 1jar
  • Once they run out of people who fall for the "one time fee" scam, they'll disappear and then open another "on time fee" vps company (with a new address/CEO) so they can scam those people again.

Thanked by 2netomx earl
  • earlearl Member

So is @switsys your puppet account? Seems he really likes what you have to say even thought it makes no sense.. kinda odd really.

Thanked by 1jar
  • @earl said:
    So is switsys your puppet account? Seems he really likes what you have to say even thought it makes no sense.. kinda odd really.

No, don't know who he/she is. He/she is only thanking me in this thread, but not in any of the others. So it must be genuine compliments :-P You're just jealous!

• earlearl Member

@asterisk14 said:
    No, don't know who he/she is. He/she is only thanking me in this thread, but not in any of the others. So it must be genuine compliments :-P You're just jealous!

Don't be silly why would I be jealous? I'm happy that both of you 10 year old's found each other! lol.

Thanked by 2jar TriDoxiuM
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@earl said:
    So is switsys your puppet account? Seems he really likes what you have to say even thought it makes no sense.. kinda odd really.

Now you have one too :)

Thanked by 3earl asterisk14 switsys
  • @jarland said:
    Now you have one too :)

How is ryan? Is he still having those supersized McDonalds meals? And how are you doing after leaving Cataclysmic Host? Baby OK? LOL.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

asterisk14 said: How is ryan? Is he still having those supersized McDonalds meals? And how are you doing after leaving Cataclysmic Host? Baby OK? LOL.

Ryan is doing great! He comes down to visit often. Loving my new job, new challenges every day. Little Elaina is doing great, never thought I could love someone so much :)

Thanked by 1earl
  • @jarland said:
    Ryan is doing great! He comes down to visit often. Loving my new job, new challenges every day. Little Elaina is doing great, never thought I could love someone so much :)

Great to hear.

Thanked by 1jar
  • earlearl Member

@jarland

congrats on the baby!! They sure keep you busy:)

Thanked by 1jar
  • tomletomle Member, LIR

@asterisk14 said:
    Uptime looks pretty good at 71 days, I/O poor but useable, network OK-ish. Can't complain for $0.02/month. Do you want the moon on a stick as well?

I never complained in my post, I just said that it's gotten worse. Still works ok as a secondary DNS though. Last downtime was a month ago, lasted for 10 minutes.

• switsysswitsys Member
    edited May 2014

@earl said:

They make a lot more sense than any of your moronic remarks.

Thanked by 1asterisk14
  • earlearl Member

switsys said: They make a lot more sense than any of your moronic remarks.

It sure does if you're a 10 year old!

Why don't you grow up first then tell me who's the moron for thinking prepaying once will get you a lifetime of service! you're just being an idiot!

• @switsys said:
    They make a lot more sense than any of your moronic remarks.

Congratulations on your first useless, nonconstructive, and overall stupid comment! Also, welcome to LET!

Thanked by 1earl
  • rds100rds100 Member

earl said: It sure does if you're a 10 year old!

Why don't you grow up first then tell me who's the moron for thinking prepaying once will get you a lifetime of service! you're just being an idiot!

FYI there are some services where you pay once and then receive the service for life, or at least they promise too. For instance look at http://sdf.lonestar.org - been up since 27 years and so far have honored their promises.

I am not saying this one is the same and will still be around after 27 years... but who knows.

• switsysswitsys Member

@earl said:

You must be even younger though, or maybe you're just retarded?

• @switsys said:

You must be even younger though, or maybe you're just retarded?

Congratulations on your first second useless, nonconstructive, and overall stupid comment! Also, welcome to LET!

Thanked by 1earl
  • rds100rds100 Member

I can guarantee you that @switsys is older than the two of you together (with summed ages).

Thanked by 3mpkossen switsys lars
  • RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran

The LAVIDAD thing is still open. At least Christina just sent it on chat. Wouldn't care to reply to my questions though.