Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WHMCS Hacked - Page 21
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

WHMCS Hacked

Comments

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@liam said: I think Matt's covering his own ass.

Of course he is, and we will never hear from Hostgator either for their side. Unless this all goes to court between WHMCS and Hostgator

• exussumexussum Member

There has been code posted to decode it. All the info you need can be Googled or found here

@gsrdgrdghd

• @exussum said: There has been code posted to decode it. All the info you need can be Googled or found here

Decode what?

• exussumexussum Member

The credit cards and passwords.no need for rainbow tables

• @exussum said: The credit cards and passwords.no need for rainbow tables

The credit cards decrypting script is out there since weeks... But for passwords? o0 I thought they were md5 hashes

• AsadAsad Member

Passwords are salted md5 hashes. Rainbow tables won't work?

• rds100rds100 Member

Passwords are available as plain text in the mail log.

• FRCoreyFRCorey Member

@liam if that's true, Matt could be facing a defamation lawsuit as well.

• Password easy crack. Saudi hacker post 100 password proof today

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

The WHMCS forum is back up.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@Dionysus Too many script kiddies with their sights locked in on an easy target. I just hope the worst of it is over.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@FTN_Kevin said: I will drive to Staten Island tomorrow morning and see (Apartment 4), I am starting to think that might not really be him if hes still tweeting and gladly admitting it. Anyone know how exactly they found out this was him?

That, or he simply realized he's going to be fucked anyway, and is just making the best of it.

• EddyEddy Member

He's a fucking stupid guy, just hack some important thing and don't get how to become a famous of our freedom... he need arrest in jail for a while to admint that he's a lose i think ;p.

• @liam said: I really doubt it was social engineering. I have had to deal with hostgator on a number of occasions and it isn't as simple as Matt is claiming to get the password, much like what John said - who actually worked for them.

Mm. Even if it they had someone at HG screw up, that doesn't mean you fault HG - whatever their shortcomings are they ARE good about customer security.

• @FTN_Kevin
    Did you end up going?

• PaulPaul Member

@FTN_Kevin ran out of plastic sheeting, trashbags, and his boat is out of gas. Any alternative hiding spot for the body? j/k

• Did they end up getting the guy? He hasn't posted on twitter today.

• NevilNevil Member

UGNazi has established some pretty good human manipulation and social engineering attack, I just had to admit that! Otherwise they would never have enough information to let the others believe they are the owner of WHMCS.

And NO, I'm not a fan of hackers. I'm just surprised how hackers work today and have to admit that they have something that goes way too far, IMO. Remember how hackers worked years before, they hardly manipulated other people or worked with social engineering or appeared as eWhores on the Internet. A lot has changed nowdays.

I heard that FBI is helping to fix WHMCS things, is that true?

• laaevlaaev Member

@bijan588 said: Did you end up going?

Yes, I went yesterday morning and no one was there, I ended up shopping around Staten Island for a bit.

I'm not very sure if this address is accurate, or if he simply ran away or if him and his family simply wasn't home.

• What's the deal with this guy? I read some of it, but still don't get it. Is UGNazi a script kiddie who knows how to hack? That's what I'm getting from it.

• He doesn't know how to hack, as far as anyone knows. Somehow he managed to answer a security question or respond to a security call/email with HostGator and thus gain access to the account.

edited May 2012

Social engineering is the new hacking. We had better all be well aware of what we make public and how it may or may not be usable. Anytime a website asks me to use questions and answers for password resets, I fill them with more gibberish than my password. It's up to me not to lose the password, and my mother's maiden name is hardly a difficult thing to get. This of course, excludes personal accounts of little to no value that cannot be used to further access things of value. Anyone is free to "hack" my yahoo email that never got used for much of anything ;)

• @jarland said: Social engineering is the new hacking.

Yet another horrible misuse of the word. "Hacking" is finding a clever way to do something. "Cracking" or "hacking" is breaking into a system via (typically) software/hardware exploits, but never human exploits. "Social engineering" is manipulating humans to gain access.

Social engineering is not hacking, it is simply a (newer) entry vector. We should be afraid of it, but that doesn't make it hacking.

edited May 2012

I think you missed my point. It's the "new hacking." Meaning it's the new thing to do to gain control of precious resources and exploit them for personal gain or the misfortune of others via the same channels which one used to need to hack to access. It has taken a seat once held by true hacking, and due to its simpler nature has become larger than true "hacking" ever was. I never said it was the true art of hacking. Just like "blue is the new black" in fashion would not be stating that blue is, in fact, black ;)

• @jarland said: It's the "new hacking."

How is social engineering new? Mitnick and many others have been doing it ages ago.

Thanked by 2klikli Spirit
    edited May 2012

@gsrdgrdghd To the degree and extent that it can be used right now, how is it not new? Social networking, sharing our lives on the Internet, these are all relatively new things. These are the things being used against people and gaining rapidly in popularity.

I'm not talking science here. If you want to be literal, nothing is new. Ever. Someone else can almost always be credited for something. I'm referring to mainstream status. Social engineering has almost replaced hacking in our current environment, for mainstream use to accomplish what was formerly thought to be the job of a "hacker."

• @jarland said: It's the "new hacking."

Apologies, I misinterpreted your post. In that case, I agree.

• subigosubigo Member

@gsrdgrdghd said: How is social engineering new? Mitnick and many others have been doing it ages ago.

Mitnick? lol... Shit, social engineering has been around for as long as there have been humans. To call it the "new hacking" is retarded. Anyone who has ever been scammed has been a victim of "social engineering".

edited May 2012

@subigo Sorry, next time I'll check with you and make sure I've made all the proper disclaimer statements before I say something ;)

In its current state, it is new. There is nothing about the kind of social engineering used in these cases that resembles any other disconnected, non Internet related social engineering of the past. Where "hacking" was once considered to be the method of accessing such computer data, now social engineering is able to handle a large amount of it. Unless, of course, there's a town somewhere where people used to put their life stories on bulletin boards on their front doors and where businesses accepted "What's your favorite movie" instead of cash or ID, then this is a recent development in our world and has taken a place in people's minds formerly held by the word "hacking."

Tough crowd tonight ;)

• subigosubigo Member
    edited May 2012

edit. Nevermind, lol.