Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Provider similar to DigitalOcean based in the EU?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Provider similar to DigitalOcean based in the EU?

Hi everyone,
i'm looking for a provider similar to DigitalOcean: cheap (if it's just a bit more expensive is not a problem), relieable, with internal networking, rapid deplyment (not more than 2 hours), ability to scale plan keeping data, and if possible ability to save snapshot.
I've already chosen as domain registrar gandi.net, and i would like to use only non US company because i don't like NSA. And, obviously, i don't think that the location is going to stop them, but it's just a sort of boycott.
Also providers like OVH (or Linodo, which anyway is US) are out of question since they've already got pwned one time or more.

Comments

• rds100rds100 Member

Prometeus / iperweb?

• RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran

Do you really think the NSA would think exactly for your website? It has thousands of other projects to work on.

• rofl

• CoreyCorey Member
    edited May 2014

FtpIt_Radi said: Do you really think the NSA would think exactly for your website? It has thousands of other projects to work on.

Pretty sure they gather any and all data and analyze it for threat level no matter what part of the world you live in.....

• @Corey they collect it, or at least a lot of it, you can bet none to almost no analysis happens on it unless you're a target though. Storing it is a lot easier than making sense of it.

• GiulioGiulio Member
    edited May 2014

@FtpIt_Radi said:
    Do you really think the NSA would think exactly for your website? It has thousands of other projects to work on.

Seems like you don't get the point. It's not avoiding NSA. It's avoiding to have business with a country that fund NSA.

Thanked by 1Shoaib_A
  • kerouackerouac Member

@Giulio said:
    Seems like you don't get the point. It's not avoiding NSA. It's avoiding to have business with a country that fund NSA.

completely legitimate point. exactly what i think.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

said: relieable, with internal networking, rapid deplyment (not more than 2 hours), ability to scale plan keeping data, and if possible ability to save snapshot

I think you need to dial down your expectations a couple of notches, why not just go with a regular VPS? I don't think all of those "cloud" bells and whistles are really all that essential, if you want to adhere to your beliefs while buying then place that as your #1 priority, and not act as a spoiled kid with "but but but I want everything I'm so used to having at DO".

• jmginerjmginer Member, Patron Provider

in Spain?

• GiulioGiulio Member
    edited May 2014

@rm_ said:
    I think you need to dial down your expectations a couple of notches, why not just go with a regular VPS? I don't think all of those "cloud" bells and whistles are really all that essential, if you want to adhere to your beliefs while buying then place that as your #1 priority, and not act as a spoiled kid with "but but but I want everything I'm so used to having at DO".

Because i'm going to have a small business with that features. If i manage host and websites for other people i need both to scale and to deploy fast, as well as internal networking for a better organization.

Spain actually may be good.

i also found transip.eu with great features and prices, any reviews?

Obviously i'm interested only in full virtualization, both XEN and KVM should be ok, VMWare too.

• rds100rds100 Member

As i said - http://iperweb.com in Italy. I am not sure you can expand / shrink HDD space on the fly, but you could add / remove disk volumes instead. Ask @Maounique for clarification.

Thanked by 1Maounique
    edited May 2014

@rds100 their cloud brand is at http://www.iwstack.com/ , not Iperweb.

Thanked by 2rds100 Maounique
  • rds100rds100 Member

@rm_ ah, ok :)

• RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran

@Giulio said:

Well, this is a bold reason.

• Vultr.

• neqsteneqste Member

vultr.com <- good too

iwstack.com <- cheapere & solid

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • jvnadrjvnadr Member

Use iwstack. This is a real cloud, easy to grow - shrink, add volumes, make snapshots etc. And depended on project, you can use it as low as a couple of bucks per month (if you use it all the time). Try them, you will not regret (I host a site there, use another instance for video streaming and another for sound streaming)

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • BoxodeBoxode Member

FtpIt_Radi said: It's not avoiding NSA. It's avoiding to have business with a country that fund NSA.

A tad wrong too. You need to find a country that has poor or non-existent public & private relations with the United States (and their affiliates) to host data that the U.S (and any federal agencies) cannot touch. You also need high-grade encryption when transferring data to/from your server & in general the data should be encrypted in the first place.

EU is a very, very poor choice for such a thing.

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • msg7086msg7086 Member

Maybe got one in north Korea?

• No one country or continent is a safe haven for any content, it all depends what you're hosting. Germany may support a tech journalist reporting on the NSA but wouldn't allow nazi speech for example. Both would be allowed in Russia but in Germany you could host content against the Russian elite but not in Russia etc. Even if you're selling illegal stuff there's still a difference between selling credit cards and selling netflix accounts.

If you don't already know where to host something you're gonna have to be more specific about what you're afraid of. If you just want somewhere you can host a few important files (I have thought about it for all my SSH keys, maybe e-mails etc) maybe Iceland is a good fit if you're a normal citizen who commits no crimes in particular but is just concerned.

• @AThomasHowe said:
    No one country or continent is a safe haven for any content, it all depends what you're hosting. Germany may support a tech journalist reporting on the NSA but wouldn't allow nazi speech for example. Both would be allowed in Russia but in Germany you could host content against the Russian elite but not in Russia etc. Even if you're selling illegal stuff there's still a difference between selling credit cards and selling netflix accounts.

If you don't already know where to host something you're gonna have to be more specific about what you're afraid of. If you just want somewhere you can host a few important files (I have thought about it for all my SSH keys, maybe e-mails etc) maybe Iceland is a good fit if you're a normal citizen who commits no crimes in particular but is just concerned.

I think the host would be important than the location for that sort of stuff though. Is it possible to create an encrypted folder/partition on a VPS? Or a dedi?

• Well yeah that's an issue too. And the country the company is registered in. A US company has to follow US laws on an NL server for example. And yes, but most need kernel modules installed so best to use a KVM VPS if you want disk encryption.

• myhkenmyhken Member

hostnoob said: Is it possible to create an encrypted folder/partition on a VPS? Or a dedi?

You can use Truecrypt to create volumes/folder that is encrypted. I'm using it on my servers there I store my VPS backup files.
    So long as the Truecrypt volume password is inserted, I can upload files to my Truecrypt volume. If the server is rebooted, or I dismount the volume, nobody can get access to my uploaded files.

Thanked by 1hostnoob
    edited May 2014

AThomasHowe said: Germany may support a tech journalist reporting on the NSA but wouldn't allow nazi speech for example. Both would be allowed in Russia

Sorry what? On the heels of the Victory [against the nazi] Day celebrations in Russia, you believe neo-nazism is something entirely legal here?

• rm_ said: Sorry what?

Just because they say they're fighting nazis across borders in the news doesn't mean that's true. Russian webspace is tolerant of some things, neo-nazism and racism isn't high on their list. I'm sure everyones seen the documentaries and the stories on the news about those extreme groups.

Maybe that wasn't the best example in the current climate with the Russian grip on the media changing but you get the idea.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

rm_ said: you believe neo-nazism is something entirely legal here?

As long as it is russian nationalism and not imported NSDAP admiration, while not legal per se (I.e. no political parties in elections and all), nobody will be really asking you how you're doing. After all, the hard line nationalists will be very good in cleansing chechens and tartars, for example. You can then blame them and say they were illegals acting on their own without Putin's approval.

• AThomasHoweAThomasHowe Member
    edited May 2014

People always edit in their controversial points. @rm_ I wasn't suggesting Russian's were nazis, please don't spill the Ukraine discussion over here.

• Shoaib_AShoaib_A Member
    edited May 2014

@viCommunications said:
    A tad wrong too. You need to find a country that has poor or non-existent public & private relations with the United States (and their affiliates) to host data that the U.S (and any federal agencies) cannot touch. You also need high-grade encryption when transferring data to/from your server & in general the data should be encrypted in the first place.

I think you're a tad wrong mate, he is not avoiding NSA or other such agencies but avoiding to have business with a country that funds NSA

@Giulio said:

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

K2Bytes said: I think you're a tad wrong mate, he is not avoiding NSA or other such agencies but avoiding to have business with a country that funds NSA

It depends if direct or indirect. Anyone buying US stuff is funding NSA as the tax dollars from the companies selling go to fund the wars. At least a big part of them, some do go to public services and other things like education, but most goes to the wars. About 2 trillion in 2011 if we include the discretionary spending. Also, whoever buys americans bonds is also contributing to the wars and NSA (which is part of the war effort) funding.
    Directly, only the US government is funding NSA, however they get a lot of help from other countries which could be translated into lowered expenses to get the same amount of spying they would have done themselves otherwise anyway, but would have costed more.

Thanked by 2Shoaib_A jvnadr
  • GiulioGiulio Member
    edited May 2014

@myhken said:

Encryption inside a VPS is mostly useless, recovering keys would just be reading ram from the node, while with a dedicated server this is actually more difficult while still possible.
    Anyway, any review or experience with transip.eu/BladeVPS? They seems very competitive.