Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DDR3 cache.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

DDR3 cache.

I am thinking of doing DDR3 based cache for my vps host for paid packages.
Is this a good idea?

Comments

• MunMun Member

You have a vps company?

Second you are asking if its a good idea?

Ohh god ....

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • I think you should be the first host to offer pure DDR3 storage. I think 200GB at $7/m sounds fair. With 2-3GB real RAM too. I'll just make a 199GB swapfile

• MunMun Member

@0xdragon said:
    Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

I swear am I missing this big gleaming piece of info that would make this right?

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

Great idea.

• I've tried in the past. It doesn't work well with DDR3. It's simply too fast. There shouldn't be too much difference in speed between the RAM and HDD. So, as @Jack said, you should use DDR2.

Thanked by 1fisle
  • MunMun Member

@mtwiscool said:
    I am thinking of doing DDR3 based cache for my vps host for paid packages.
    Is this a good idea?

What do you plan to have them use this cache for?

• MunMun Member

@Jack said:
    Licking windows.

What type of licking?

• MunMun Member

Ohh boy never seen those windows so clean.

• @serverian said:
    I've tried in the past. It doesn't work well with DDR3. It's simply too fast. There shouldn't be too much difference in speed between the RAM and HDD. So, as Jack said, you should use DDR2.

People on leb like the io to in the GB/S thats all they care about.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@mtwiscool said:
    People on leb like the io to in the GB/S thats all they care about.

Not exactly true my friend. People are always keen to complain about bad I/O and it's apparently a viable marketing tool, but it's definitely not the only thing people care about.

• Jack is just jelly.

• @Nekki said:
    Not exactly true my friend. People are always keen to complain about bad I/O and it's apparently a viable marketing tool, but it's definitely not the only thing people care about.

Remember we are on lowendtalk it seams it is all people talk about.

• NekkiNekki Veteran
    edited May 2014

@mtwiscool said:
    Remember we are on lowendtalk it seams it is all people talk about.

It's really not, it's the most common marketing tactic used by hosts (and the stick most commonly used to beat them with), but far from the only thing that buyers care or talk about.

Thanked by 1Pwner
  • c0yc0y Member

mtwiscool said: Remember we are on lowendtalk it seams it is all people talk about.

Talk about? Yes.

Use as only factor whether to buy? No.

• MunMun Member

@mtwiscool what happens when the server gets powered off?

• @c0y said:
    Use as only factor whether to buy? No.

The more people who talk about you the more people buy from you.

• @Mun said:
    mtwiscool what happens when the server gets powered off?

About 5 to 10 seconds of data lost.

• MunMun Member

@mtwiscool said:
    About 5 to 10 seconds of data lost.

So where are you going to store this data then since it is a cache?

• @Mun said:

on a hard drive via writeback.

• MunMun Member

So you think you can take 10Gbps speed and write it to a disk that on the best cases goes 1Gbps in 5 to 10 seconds, what happens when someone builds up a ton of stuff?

http://www.linuxatemyram.com/ might be helpful to you.

• @Mun said:
    So you think you can take 10Gbps speed and write it to a disk that on the best cases goes 1Gbps in 5 to 10 seconds, what happens when someone builds up a ton of stuff?

http://www.linuxatemyram.com/ might be helpful to you.

cache will be limited to 2GB read 2GB write.

• MunMun Member

Head, this is hand. Hand, this is head. Head is feeling quite depressed today, so hand, head might lean on you for a bit until he can get his confidence back up. If you wouldn't mind being a good pal, and just letting him do so.

p.s. can someone hug me, I'm not sure I want to live in this world anymore.

Thanked by 20xdragon GIANT_CRAB
  • NekkiNekki Veteran

Hugs @Mun

Thanked by 1Mun
  • Hugs @Mun

• MunMun Member
    edited May 2014

@mtwiscool what you are offering has already been done and is built into most linux OS as well as modern windows versions. It is called disk caching and it uses unused RAM to store commonly used files in RAM for faster loading. More info about it can be found here: http://www.linuxatemyram.com/play.html

Not to mention this lovely system you don't have to worry about data loss as it will still write everything to disk before anything else.

.... then their is another option on most server RAID cards that do the same thing, but they have backup battery power just in case of a power outage to help prevent data loss.

What you are doing isn't suggested and will most likely result in fully damaged VPS(s).

... but what do I know, go for it bro. I'd love to see your 2Gbps DD tests that will make uber amounts of cash.

• GB/S
    people will love that disk io :)

• GB/S
    people will love that disk io :)

• NateN34NateN34 Member

It's a great idea. You should do it.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@NateN34 said:
    It's a great idea. You should do it.

Self thanking FTW.