Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why so few UK providers? - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Why so few UK providers?

13»

Comments

• wychwych Member

@darkshire said:

You will be waiting a while.

• vpsXtremevpsXtreme Member
    edited May 2014

Same answer as for the question: "Why there's a lack of EU providers" :)

Actually there's no lack, only a lack here on LET. Simply due to the fact that you have list prices here in $. And the current GBP/USD is even worse then EUR/USD.

So a provider from the UK lists an offer for $7 but in return only gets £4.12
    He simply can't compete here (based on prices and profits alone) with providers offering directly from the US.

• @vpsXtreme said:
    So a provider from the UK lists an offer for $7 but in return only gets £4.12
    He simply can't compete here (based on prices and profits alone) with providers offering directly from the US.

We need more UK providers. In the recent past UrPad has left, EaseVPS, there are probably many others too. Many of the providers tragetting UK customers end up in NL, and a few extra ms don't make a huge difference IRL. But there are some UK providers such as Inception Hosting, OpenITC and they seem to do OK and not targetted by DoS attacks. So there is probably more to it than just the fear of DoS attacks.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@asterisk14 said:
    We need more UK providers. In the recent past UrPad has left, EaseVPS, there are probably many others too. Many of the providers tragetting UK customers end up in NL, and a few extra ms don't make a huge difference IRL. But there are some UK providers such as Inception Hosting, OpenITC and they seem to do OK and not targetted by DoS attacks. So there is probably more to it than just the fear of DoS attacks.

It's economics. The costs of business are higher, coupled with the constant threat of being attacked makes the proposition unpalatable for some. I know from speaking to @Jack that power is considerably more expensive in the UK just to start with.

• WSCallumWSCallum Member
    edited May 2014

I believe bandwidth pricing and IP pricing in the UK is much greater in comparison to other Europe countries, we're located in the UK but have our servers for Europe in France, bandwidth is more affordable than in the UK and the UKs connection from our servers located in France is very good.

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

@WSCallum said:
    I believe bandwidth pricing and IP pricing in the UK is much greater in comparison to other Europe countries, we're located in the UK but have our servers for Europe in France, bandwidth and IP pricing is more affordable than in the UK and the UKs connection from our servers located in France is very good.

Wot.. How are 'French' IP's cheaper than IP's from the UK? That's just the provider you choose, if you owned your IP's it would be a whole different story and imo if you're a provider you should be using your own IP's.

• @Infinity said:
    Wot.. How are 'French' IP's cheaper than IP's from the UK? That's just the provider you choose, if you owned your IP's it would be a whole different story and imo if you're a provider you should be using your own IP's.

I did in fact only mean bandwidth pricing in comparison to the UK, I mistakenly wrote IP pricing in the second sentence.

Thanked by 1Infinity
  • @asterisk14 said:

Maybe they are behind the DoS attacks :O

• J1021J1021 Member

I would love to see more UK hosts, specifically outside of the usual London locations.

edited May 2014

@hostnoob said:
    Maybe they are behind the DoS attacks :O

I honestly doubt it's just one person behind the attacks.

• The youth hang around.

There's a lack of UK providers mainly because of the high quality network, and the laws...

@1e10 said:
    I would love to see more UK hosts, specifically outside of the usual London Maidenhead locations.

FTFY. The reason there's not much in the north is because there's not much of an advantage, most transit providers route back down to London anyway. We need more actual London locations. ;)

• J1021J1021 Member

Infinity said: FTFY. The reason there's not much in the north is because there's not much of an advantage, most transit providers route back down to London anyway. We need more actual London locations. ;)

There is Melbourne and M247 in Manchester. There is some peering in Manchester atleast.

@1e10 said:
    There is Melbourne and M247 in Manchester. There is some peering in Manchester atleast.

Ja, Manchester isn't too bad but I know of quite a few cheapish provides there, Minivps, Castlegem etc.

There's even a fair bit of Newcastle, all under Wildcard though who have quite a bad network imo.

Thanked by 1ozfingwe
  • Infinity said: There's even a fair bit of Newcastle, all under Wildcard though who have quite a bad network imo.

Isn't that LES/Inception Hosting? I thought is was good, never heard of any serious problems.

@asterisk14 said:

Isn't that LES/Inception Hosting? I thought is was good, never heard of any serious problems.

I'm sure the service is good, just not a fan of wildcard's network. Inception get their servers off Openitc who have some space with Wildcard IIRC.

• AFAIK LES is in Wildcards @Newcastle.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@Jack said:
    Inception has the service in London Maidenhead though not Newcastle.

Wy-eye pet, LowEndSpirit runs out of Noocastle.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@Jack said:
    Aah Ah Ah divvnae knaa tha.

Ya cannae knaa it all pet. Naa let's gaan daan tha toon an get proper mortal.