Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How has Murphy punished you lately?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How has Murphy punished you lately?

miTgiBmiTgiB Member
edited May 2012 in General

Murphy never ceases to amaze me in ways he can run through a network and fsck stuff up, maybe we can share some horror stories.

Comments

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

Murphy appeared last week while I was doing router maintenance. Upon arriving at the data center I found that the backup router I built the night before had lost all of the configurations (I think I forgot to reboot after installing the software so all the configs were setup on the live CD but not written to disk).

• BlueVMBlueVM Member
    edited May 2012

Murphy has nuked two hard drives in the last 30 days and has allowed one of my machines to get hacked :( - Bad things come in threes, so this bout is over I think :P

• KairusKairus Member

@BlueVM said: Murphy has nuked two hard drives in the last 30 days and has allowed one of my machines to get hacked

What a douche.

• SpencerSpencer Member

I'm feeling Murphy. I had a $383 chargeback (unauthorized claim) after they paid for a year of service and were 6 months in. My MySQL server crashed today causing downtime in WHMCS. Luckily we had backups :p And on one of my servers had a mobo that died. It has been eventful!

• BlueVMBlueVM Member

@PytoHost said: I had a $383 chargeback (unauthorized claim) after they paid for a year of service and were 6 months in.

Huh? Paypal won't allow customers to pull chargebacks on me after 90 days :P

• @BlueVM said: Huh? Paypal won't allow customers to pull chargebacks on me after 90 days :P

The credit/debit card companies might allow chargebacks 6 months in.

• SpencerSpencer Member

@BlueVM said: Huh? Paypal won't allow customers to pull chargebacks on me after 90 days :P

That is what I thought, but because it was an unauthorized claim. I think the person who had the money stolen from them called their credit card company and then the credit card company called paypal. Somehow it happened and made me sad ;(

• rds100rds100 Member

And what kind of idiot sees that his $383 are missing whole 6 months later. I think such people should be banned from using credit/debit cards.

Thanked by 1DimeCadmium
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

Bad RAM in our supertalnet RMA.

How the hell?

Francisco

• SpencerSpencer Member

@Francisco said: supertalnet

Do you use supertalent RAM?

• letboxletbox Member, Patron Provider

Power supply in my private server die :S

• beardbeard Member

@rds100 said: I think such people should be banned from using credit/debit cards.

Wait until the problems go to mobile payment processing on "smart" phones used by these people ;-)

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@PytoHost said: Do you use supertalent RAM?

supertalent, yea, sorry :P

Francisco

• joshinjoshin Member

This week:
    Replacement switch losing its configuration in the drive to the data center.
    Vmware backup silently not completing backups but having 100+ snapshots. Disk I/O was floppy speed on that poor VM.

• JacobJacob Member
    edited May 2012

Murphy made me replace a 2GB ram stick. He also made me loose $200 last month due to a chargeback.

• I am sure you meant this to be about "computer stuff" but I just got so lucky as to have my car claimed by wet weather, the rear end of a F250 and a Fire Truck. Gotta love rainy days, brakes locked up slid right into the rear of a truck which stopped at a green light for a Fire Truck. Thanks Murphy!

Thanked by 1beard
  • @TheLinuxBug said: Gotta love rainy days, brakes locked up slid right into the rear of a truck which stopped at a green light for a Fire Truck.

Ouch... although I can't help but say you were driving too close... >_>

For me... Conny was informed wrong by the Finnish tax authorities, then WHMCS almost completely stopped working, then it started working again (and the WHMCS support guy said he had no clue what happened and that he hadn't done anything)...

Man, Murphy's an a**hole!

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

The CNC machine I'm working right now just stopped supplying refrigerant... 2 days to fix it... two days with late things :(

• FRCoreyFRCorey Member

New baby cries when I try to sleep. :(

Thanked by 1netomx
  • DimeCadmiumDimeCadmium Member
    edited May 2012

@FRCorey said: New baby cries when I try to sleep. :(

I thought every baby did that.

Thanked by 1yomero
  • Murphy killed my web-server the day after I ordered a new one.

• JacobJacob Member

Murphy broke a BRAND NEW 1TB harddrive.

Luckily I was saved by the warranty!

• CoreyCorey Member

Seems like a lot of people have been getting chargebacks recently in the hosting industry.

• FRCoreyFRCorey Member

@kujoe what are you using for a router?

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

@FRCorey said: what are you using for a router?

Vyatta goodness.

• Murphy managed to troll me with a faulty network driver on my homeserver, cursed for using cheap taiwan wireless cards.

• dmmcintyre3dmmcintyre3 Member
    edited June 2012

I pick my most stable VPS to host my mailserver on, and it suddenly becomes my least stable VPS, with multiple multi hour outages.

• PhilNDPhilND Member

Murphy punished me by simultaneously killing 4x4GB sticks at 4 in the morning, lol!

• TazTaz Member

For some reason, 5 of my supermicro uplifting failed at the sametime and then fixed it self after kicking my home computer. Weekend ruined,(1st world pain)

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

Got a failed hard drive last night, rebuilding the RAID
    Received my first chargeback for months now (hadn't received one in more than 4-5 months) and 10 minutes later - second one (from same customer) . After he used his services.
    It is fucking hot, like 36-37 degreece, my laptop is overheating
    On the top of that, the AC is not working, neither is the service that had to fix it. Would not be available for a week more.
    I won't be able to take my driver's license for ~1 more month.
    My mobile got cut off a couple of hours ago, cause for some reason the payment did not get processed automatically

And everything in just 1 day. I was just thinking last week, that everything is runnign surprisingly smoothly.