Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How about a weeBlog? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How about a weeBlog?

2»

Comments

• sleddog said: I implemented blogspam.net for comments this morning. Anyone have experience using this service? Pretty much every short message I try to post gets classified as spam :) Try it out if you have a minute. If you get classified as spam you'll see the blogspam.net result in a yellow box above the comment form.

I recommend Defensio instead of blogspam or akismet.

• recommend Defensio instead of blogspam or akismet.

I'll never go back to using a service. It's a huge plus being able to check the logs to see what's going on when someone gets nabbed by mistake. And there's no political BS going on in the background like with some of these services.

But that's just me.

• lawllawl Member
    edited September 2011

When do you plan on make this open source? I'd like to take a look at it and maybe hack up a few things myself. Why don't you put it on github?
    I for example would prefer captchas instead of such a service, and would implement that myself.

• sleddogsleddog Member
    edited September 2011
    Interesting. So, your spam filter will "learn" or something like that

You train it, like any Bayes database. The blogspam.net api provides the ability to submit a comment and train it as spam or ham (good). What I'd planned is admin links by each comment: "Spam" and "Ham". Click one of those links to (re-)submit the comment and have it classified. If "Spam", then the comment would also be deleted from the blog.

Use of blogspam.net would be optional (off by default).

Similarly, an option to use a captcha will be available.

@justinb: can you elaborate on why you prefer Defensio?

@lawl: when it's ready :) It's still early days yet I think.

• I should add that any Bayes system works best when you train an approximately equal number of spams and hams. And only after a certain threshold is reached, e.g., ~ 200 spams and 200 hams. So perhaps "enabling" blogspam.net might actually disable the bayes-analysis until a defined number of comments have been trained.

• Your creativity is sorely needed: http://weeblog.dashed.ca/?t=6

• What do you think of the new look? http://blite.ca/

• Nice, simple and easy [citation needed] blogging tool.

• +1 I'd love to visit the engine!

• very nice, I'll look in to this a bit more!

• justinbjustinb Member
    edited October 2011

why <meta http-equiv='Content-Type' content='text/html; charset=iso-8859-1'> instead of utf8?

• justinbjustinb Member
    edited October 2011

FYI - You aren't sanitising your meta description or something - using a " in it prematurely closes the tag (or at least part of it)

• justinb said: why instead of utf8?

No reason, other than experimentin' :)

There's a 'charset' option in settings which sets the HTML meta tag and the HTTP header sent by PHP.

• Also, do you know where I can grab a copy of it and maybe do some features? Can't find it on github or anywhere..

• justinb said: FYI - You aren't sanitising your meta description or something - using a " in it prematurely closes the tag.

Thanks for that.

• justinb said: Also, do you know where I can grab a copy of it and maybe do some features? Can't find it on github or anywhere..

It'll be made available once it reaches a certain 'usability' point. It's not there yet and I'm just not comfortable releasing something that's not ready. Hope you understand :)

• sleddog said:

It'll be made available once it reaches a certain 'usability' point. It's not there yet and I'm just not comfortable releasing something that's not ready. Hope you understand :)

Wish it was man I would ditch bulky wp for it in a second.

• sssshhhhh You want to get their attention? Say that any louder and you'll get their fan boys in here denouncing you and questioning your parenting.

• @drmike, @AuroraZ is somehow right :-) We should really do something to get rid of this @#$... wp!

• drmike said: sssshhhhh You want to get their attention? Say that any louder and you'll get their fan boys in here denouncing you and questioning your parenting.

And cracken wise on my gramma probably lol.

TigersWay said: @drmike, @AuroraZ is somehow right :-) We should really do something to get rid of this @#$... wp!

I agree the lack of any support other then you installed it wrong or it is a plugin issue pisses me off daily.