Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cheap KVM in switzerland?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cheap KVM in switzerland?

Hi

Do you know any interesting providers for a cheap KVM VPS in switzerland?

Edis seems nice but as they currently have no LEB/LET offer I feel like the ram/disk/price ratio isn't really interesting..

CHVPS is cheap with the LEB code but.. it's only openvz..

Anything better currently available?
(A swiss company would be better but that's not mandatory)

Thanks!

Thanked by 1lelewku

Comments

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

https://kryutek.co.uk/vps, 512MB 3$ USD, KVM

He owns the hardware, offers cheap colocation i know him he is a good guy :)

Thanked by 2george ben78
  • I'm interested in this too. The only privacy-aware, EU-based hosting company with KVM VPS in CH I know of is EDIS, but their prices are far from being LEB ones. If you're willing to put in a bit more than LEB prices, then EDIS is a reliable and, after all, affordable choice.

• ben78ben78 Member
    edited April 2014

Nice one, thanks. At first read I thought that the 'VPS vserver' were vservers and only bigger 'KVM vservers' were KVM. Nice to see that the smaller packages are KVM too..

Sadly they seem to only offer 'Debian 7.x, CentOS 6.x, Ubuntu 13.x, Ubuntu 12.x LTS' - but seems worth trying. Thanks!

@perennate: quite cheap, but i'd prefer KVM virtualisation, if possible...

@iceTwy: edis seem nice, but I'd need a bit more than 5GB storage and can't afford the bigger plans.

• georgegeorge Member
    edited April 2014

@Infinity580 said:
    https://kryutek.co.uk/vps, 512MB 3$ USD, KVM

Where do you see that offer?

Edit: nvm

VPS has just less resources, KVM has more and more power.

edited April 2014

@george from £1.80 / month are 3USD, but i as i see its per per quarter so 9USD still cheap for swiss.

• ben78ben78 Member

Infinity580 said: VPS has just less resources, KVM has more and more power.

Understood, didn't notice that at first read. Sounds good. Did you try their network?

• MrXMrX Member

Seconded. Have been with Kryutek for a while now. The guy is on top of things. Convenient choice of currencies, too.

• MrXMrX Member
    edited April 2014

ben78 said: Did you try their network?

I'm having no problems getting solid 80 - 100 Mbps wgetting test files from Leaseweb, OVH, SoftLayer NL, and a few other European hosts. Upstream, I'm getting around 40 - 60 Mbps.

This is testing on a VPS vServer, which is on a 100 Mbps ports. Haven't tested a KVM vServer with a 500 Mbps port yet.

Datacenter is Datasource AG. http://www.datasource.ch/

• ben78ben78 Member
    edited April 2014

MrX said:
    This is testing on a VPS vServer, which is on a 100 Mbps ports. Haven't tested a KVM vServer with a 500 Mbps port yet.

Not bad, thanks!

Does anyone knows why the company appears to be registered in the UK rather that in Switzerland? Is it operated from CH?

Its registered in the UK but operated from CH, so they can react fast when something went wrong.

• @amarc said:
    Kryutek looks really good.. Sent ticket with couple questions, let's see how fast they are..

Well it's quite late in Europe so it might take a while, let us know please.

• MrXMrX Member

Tomorrow is a holiday and it looks like a one-man operation, so he might not be responding to non-support tickets.

I wouldn't host anything mission critical with Kryutek, at least not yet.

edited April 2014

@MrX It isnt a one-man operation, they have 2 directors and guys for support, they got also a office in swiss.

• @amarc said:
    Kryutek looks really good.. Sent ticket with couple questions, let's see how fast they are..

I second @george, let us know about your questions and the answers please ;)

However, as promising as Kryutek is, they're still a British company. I guess that if the datacenter staff can't be forced to hand over data that easily, because it is in Switzerland and DataSource AG is a Swiss company, Kryutek will be forced to. It will be easier for whoever's monitoring you to get it that way, would it only be because Kryutek is a British company.

• kerouackerouac Member

OK, so I've been to the Datasource AG website, (the one you mentioned as Kryutek's DC) and their own prices are actually pretty good! Any info on these guys? Is this a good company?

• ben78ben78 Member
    edited May 2014

iceTwy said: However, as promising as Kryutek is, they're still a British company.

Yeah, if you want to host in switzerland to "protect your data" it's probably not the right host. Strange that they choose to incorporate in the UK, I thought that switzerland was a pretty good place to create a company...

kerouac said: OK, so I've been to the Datasource AG website, (the one you mentioned as Kryutek's DC) and their own prices are actually pretty good!

Sure, but their VPSes are quite big... (4GB RAM minimum..)
    I wonder if they could offer something smaller.

• MrXMrX Member

ben78 said: Yeah, if you want to host in switzerland to "protect your data" it's probably not the right host. Strange that they choose to incorporate in the UK, I thought that switzerland was a pretty good place to create a company...

It's not. You need a much, much higher paid up share capital to form a company in Switzerland (unless you for a sole proprietorship, which means unlimited liability), starting at around 50,000 CHF without accounting for the costs of the company, legal fees, et cetera. Since this is probably a rather small company, forming the legal entity in the UK means saving over 50,000 CHF on start-up costs.

• wychwych Member

What happened to BlueVM in CH?

• BoxodeBoxode Member

wych said: BlueVM

Go with them if you want 30% uptime, overselling to the bone & poor network infrastructure.

Thanked by 1M66B
  • iceTwyiceTwy Member

@ben78 said:
    Sure, but their VPSes are quite big... (4GB RAM minimum..) I wonder if they could offer something smaller.

Woah, DataSource AG's offers are actually pretty fantastic. A VMWare VPS w/ 4GB RAM in Switzerland for 16.5€ (20CHF) per month isn't exactly a LEB-priced offer, but it remains a good opportunity nonetheless.

• kerouackerouac Member

@iceTwy said:
    Woah, DataSource AG's offers are actually pretty fantastic. A VMWare VPS w/ 4GB RAM in Switzerland for 16.5€ (20CHF) per month isn't exactly a LEB-priced offer, but it remains a good opportunity nonetheless.

Exactly!

It sounds too good to be true; could it be bad? (Downtime or bad service?)

• emgemg Veteran
    edited May 2014

@viCommunications said:
    Go with them if you want 30% uptime, overselling to the bone & poor network infrastructure.

I have a BlueVM KVM VPS in Switzerland. I admit, it isn't my best performing VPS, but it isn't bad either, and it is certainly a great value for the money. Uptime is WAY better than 30% - it went down twice since last October; a quick reboot fixed it. No affiliation, other than a satisfied customer.

• ben78ben78 Member

kerouac said: Exactly!

It sounds too good to be true; could it be bad? (Downtime or bad service?)

Did anyone had an opportunity to try them and could report back to the community?

Thanks!

• MrXMrX Member

ben78 said:

Did anyone had an opportunity to try them and could report back to the community?

Have been with Kryutek (so not directly with Datasource) for a bit over a month now. No downtime; good speeds, maxing out whenever needed. Never had to contact support, so can't speak for the quality there.

@MrX Create a ticket and you get fast response also helpfull, not that i could complain about it.

• nerouxneroux Member

MrX said: I wouldn't host anything mission critical with Kryutek, at least not yet.

A particular reason why? They do appear to be quite new though, domain has been registered only for two years.

iceTwy said: However, as promising as Kryutek is, they're still a British company.

What makes you think they are a British company?

• nerouxneroux Member

MuZo said: the fact that they're registered in UK

That does not necessarily make them British, they could also be registered in Switzerland (even though I admittedly couldnt find one straightaway). Their data center however seems to be in Switzerland and so does the staff. Not quite sure whats the deal with their British branch then (hardly for taxation).