Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What could you do with 6GB of RAM? - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What could you do with 6GB of RAM?

Comments

• GunterGunter Member

I probably misread that, but my question continues to stand (although it was previously implied). Can we actually use the 6GB allocated to us?

• @Dylan said:
    I'm sure VPSDime is oversold, but that doesn't automatically equate to "you can't use the resources you're paying for." Almost everyone oversells -- that's what makes most of the offers you see on LEB/T possible -- but the difference between lousy providers and great providers is how well they manage it. Done right, you'd never be able to tell.

The issue here is people forget the memory we have on the nodes. We use 384GB nodes and sell 6GB VPS and people think that the ram is too oversold while it's not. If you do the math, you'll see our ram oversell ratio is much less than people selling 2GB VPS on 32GB nodes. (32/2 = 16 vs 384/6 = 64)

We have built loads of custom monitoring tools to ensure every resource such as uplink speed, memory, io, cpu usage are always optimal with lots space for peak usage.

We did not receive a single ticket about performance being slow or people can't use what they pay for.

We only had one downtime when there was a 37Gbps DDoS on the network (got solved in 20 minutes)

We have recently started a new pure ssd product line in LA for people who needs more IO for a minimal setup fee to get same resources as their HDD or SSD cached plans.

Also note that we did not have a single complaint or a bad review anywhere in the 10 months of existence.

• @darknyan said:
    I probably misread that, but my question continues to stand (although it was previously implied). Can we actually use the 6GB allocated to us?

I think I know the answer: Yes, you can.

• GunterGunter Member
    edited May 2014

@serverian said:
    Also note that we did not have a single complaint or a bad review anywhere in the 10 months of existence.

Sounds good.

Going back on topic, any more uses?

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@serverian said:

You're just trying to goad me into signing up, aren't you...

• JahAGRJahAGR Member

serverian said: If your application doesn't need that much memory, you still end up on a stable and fast VPS with great addons such as offloaded mysql (working on postgre as we speak as well) server and daily backups with self restore ability. :)

This. I signed up pretty early to VPSDime pretty much just to try one of Oktay's brands. I'm running one website on it (that could probably live happily in 512MB RAM) and one low-use gameserver, but I stayed because of the performance, even if there may be more cost-effective solutions out there for my needs. Since I signed up I've gotten free v6, free expanded disk space (awesome!), free daily backups, and free offloaded SQL (although I'm not making use of that).

Thanked by 1serverian
  • GunterGunter Member
    edited May 2014

Also, I'm open to game servers if anyone has a game that requires a high level of memory in order to run a server.

• @serverian said:
    It's funny because we have lots of people using their memory at peak and get upgraded to 12GB or 18GB plans. We even have a customer who is on 48GB :)

We are giving people to opportunity to use up to 6GB ram and it depends on their skill level and usage case to utilize it.

If your application doesn't need that much memory, you still end up on a stable and fast VPS with great addons such as offloaded mysql (working on postgre as we speak as well) server and daily backups with self restore ability. :)

Mind telling us what did they do? ;)

• FalzoFalzo Member

@serverian said:

so I am sorry, but I have to be the first one complaining about your service... vpsdime offer is (still) only available from dallas location!!!

would you please be so kind and get this f***ing offer over to europe/netherlands - P L E A S E ;-) ;-) ;-) (and maybe add pure ssd storage ;-))

• @wcypierre said:
    Mind telling us what did they do? ;)

That's none of my business :)

@Falzo said:

How about Estonia?

• NekkiNekki Veteran

Falzo said: would you please be so kind and get this f***ing offer over to europe/netherlands - P L E A S E ;-) ;-) ;-) (and maybe add pure ssd storage ;-))

You see this is what I mean, he clearly doesn't give a shit about his customers by not giving you exactly what you want. I'd suggest finding a host who does care enough to sort you out your dream plan.

Thanked by 1Jeffrey
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited May 2014

serverian said: How about Estonia?

Would've been awesome to see that.

• FalzoFalzo Member

@serverian said: How about Estonia?

oh, hmm, may I ask for test-ip or looking-glass? which datacenter are you there with?

@nekki said: I'd suggest finding a host who does care enough to sort you out your dream plan.

hrhr ^^

as you have to admit, he answered faster than you, maybe he does care a lot ;-)

regarding those dream plan, it was asked for in the other thread, and those specs from vpsdime does match it very good, don't you think so?

• NekkiNekki Veteran

Falzo said: hrhr ^^

as you have to admit, he answered faster than you, maybe he does care a lot ;-)

He cares about your money, not you.

Falzo said: regarding those dream plan, it was asked for in the other thread, and those specs from vpsdime does match it very good, don't you think so?

Dunno, didn't read it.

• FalzoFalzo Member

@Nekki said: He cares about your money, not you.

that you know because of... ?

(in fact you're not using any smiley or else, i am bit confused now, if that's to be taken ironically too or if you really mean it.)

Dunno, didn't read it.

ok, thought so, because of you entitling it 'dream' plan...

• NekkiNekki Veteran

Falzo said: that you know because of... ?

His prior behaviour in this forum. Check up on his posts, you'll see his money-lust is evident in every single one.

Falzo said: (in fact you're not using any smiley or else, i am bit confused now, if that's to be taken ironically too or if you really mean it.)

I mean EVERYTHING I say.

Falzo said: ok, thought so, because of you entitling it 'dream' plan...

wat?

• FalzoFalzo Member

can't say much against money-lust from a business owner point of view...
    I am really not getting your point against him so far, but maybe I am for real to short on reading here for knowing everybodys intentions or the hall of archenemies ;-)

regarding dream plans: nvm.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

I'm joking mate, just on a wind-up, pay me no mind. Mr Severian seems a very professional gentleman, and many here very much enjoy his services, I'm sure you will find much happiness within his brands.

• FalzoFalzo Member

seems like you've got me there...

• NekkiNekki Veteran
    edited May 2014

@Falzo said:
    seems like you've got me there...

Don't be too hard on yourself, I'm an excellent liar. My name's not even really Nekki...

• wychwych Member

@Nekki said:
    My name's not even really Nekki...

Haha.

• PwnerPwner Member
    edited May 2014

@Nekki said:
    Don't be too hard on yourself, I'm an excellent liar. My name's not even really Nekki...

I guess we will have to take your word for it?

• Core wars!

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

iwaswrongonce said: It's marketing folks.

We have a customer that buys only 8 GB servers and even asked for higher. Has some 10 or more. I do not know what he does, but he was abusing the cpu (load higher than 4, the number of cores) a few times before. Many other 8 GB sold and in the majority, ram is used, it is the 4 GB (smallest) ones which get some ram unused, probably because there are no smaller ones to buy.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@Pwner said:
    I guess we will have to take your word for it?

I suppose it could be a double-negative.

Or could it?

• jebberjebber Member

serverian said: offloaded mysql (working on postgre as we speak as well)

I'm wondering if you have a rough estimate of when offloaded postgres will be available?

Which location(s) will offloaded postgres be available?

• The most obvious use would be in-memory databases or key-value stores. NoSQL/memcached systems are not very CPU abusive for most website backend uses. And your backend would scream with a few of these, as opposed to being disk-bound on shared-io.

• vemacsvemacs Member

I can see people using this for a Redis setup (cluster or individual instance), as well as memory heavy Java apps (JIRA).

• Mount tmpfs. Put database and whatever-cms-you use on it. Start Web server. Feel happy.

• That's more RAM than at least half my boxes have disk space, lol. Probably end up using like... 512MB and have more RAM for disk caching than I have disk space I guess!