Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What could you do with 6GB of RAM? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What could you do with 6GB of RAM?

Comments

• @neroux said:
    shouldnt take that much CPU ;)

They suspend your server if you have a load higher than 1.00 or something. Still, would be perfect for a small cPanel server if you don't have any abusive end users.

• wychwych Member

@linuxthefish said:
    They suspend your server if you have a load higher than 1.00 or something. Still, would be perfect for a small cPanel server if you don't have any abusive end users.

Apart from during an update/install.

I thought you could burst just not for long?

• @linuxthefish said:

I was referring to the line I posted.

• I bought a 512MB VPSDime and use it as a development webserver (nginx/php/mysql).

So far I'm hugely impressed with performance & reliability. But I can't imagine what to do with 6GB :)

[root@par:~] free -m
                 total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
    Mem:           512        249        262          0          0        219
    -/+ buffers/cache:         30        481
    Swap:          512          0        512
  • bobbybobby Member

Lots of stuff. Zimbra and Atlassian products for example, but nogo because of the privacy issue with OVZ. Too bad.

• judy array

• bobby said: nogo because of the privacy issue with OVZ

IMO, OVZ doesn't have privacy issues.

Providers (may) have privacy issues.

Thanked by 2mpkossen Maounique
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited April 2014

sleddog said: IMO, OVZ doesn't have privacy issues.

Providers (may) have privacy issues.

"Nothing wrong with living in a glass house. It's all those weirdos outside on the street looking through my walls who are the problem".

Thanked by 3mpkossen Maounique c0y
  • ben78ben78 Member

rm_ said: "Nothing wrong with living in a glass house. It's all those weirdos outside on the street looking through my walls who are the problem".

Nice one :)

But... if your provider want to look at your data/processes, be it KVM or XEN it can be done! Better be with a provider you trust, anyway...

• rm_ said: "Nothing wrong with living in a glass house. It's all those weirdos outside on the street looking through my walls who are the problem".

Cute, but as an analogy it's quite flawed :)

Thanked by 2netomx mpkossen
  • netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Boot, then make a ramdisk, then send all your webpages to it, and start apache and php :p

BTW, send apache and php to the ramdisk, too

• ben78 said: But... if your provider want to look at your data/processes, be it KVM or XEN it can be done! Better be with a provider you trust, anyway...

Not exactly practical though. If we use encrypted volumes and protected runtime memory (only in Windows?) the provider would need to be an expert (and should be paid way more by a government) and have a lot of time to find anything.

With OpenVZ, the provider only has to write a couple of commands and they're in.

Just like encryption. All encryption can be broken. But why do we still encrypt things - because no one will spend the capital.

I will never use OpenVZ for a mail server, or a server that handles SSL keys. But of course some call me crazy and/or paranoid.

Thanked by 1rm_
  • netomx said: Boot, then make a ramdisk, then send all your webpages to it, and start apache and php :p

I wonder what the readahead daemon or the Linux kernel would do with 5GB of extra memory. Cache the whole file system?

I had this old computer with a good deal of ram some time ago. It using USB 1.1. This was incredibly slow. I believe I was able to pull the whole flash drive into memory by touching every file.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • I'm using it to host Plex Media Server, handles it very nicely, can stream to multiple clients at the same time, do some transcoding, etc.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@hursey013 said:
    I'm using it to host Plex Media Server, handles it very nicely, can stream to multiple clients at the same time, do some transcoding, etc.

Surely that's taking a hefty steaming shit on the CPU rather than using the RAM?

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • PetaByetPetaByet Member
    edited May 2014

Run a hosting business, or benchmark it :P.

• jmginerjmginer Member, Patron Provider
    edited May 2014

red5 media server need +4GB RAM to run ok...

• @Silvenga said:
    I had this old computer with a good deal of ram some time ago. It using USB 1.1. This was incredibly slow. I believe I was able to pull the whole flash drive into memory by touching every file.

I used to do that in the nineties on DOS. I would send the whole floppy to a ramdisk and run it on a PC without a HDD.

• It's funny because this is exactly the problem these plans have. The overlap between high RAM usage and legitimate/fair use is microscopically small.

It's marketing folks.

Thanked by 1Gunter
  • @Nekki said:
    Surely that's taking a hefty steaming shit on the CPU rather than using the RAM?

You're right, its more CPU intensive, but the extra RAM doesn't hurt. Truth be told, I don't really transcode anything, so just basic streaming isn't very resource intensive at all.

• It's funny because we have lots of people using their memory at peak and get upgraded to 12GB or 18GB plans. We even have a customer who is on 48GB :)

We are giving people to opportunity to use up to 6GB ram and it depends on their skill level and usage case to utilize it.

If your application doesn't need that much memory, you still end up on a stable and fast VPS with great addons such as offloaded mysql (working on postgre as we speak as well) server and daily backups with self restore ability. :)

Thanked by 3Zen JahAGR linuxthefish
  • NekkiNekki Veteran

@hursey013 said:
    You're right, its more CPU intensive, but the extra RAM doesn't hurt. Truth be told, I don't really transcode anything, so just basic streaming isn't very resource intensive at all.

Transcoding doesn't really seem to eat much RAM from my experience, I've had excellent performance under 512MB with use of 4 cores, whereas 2GB and 2 cores is significantly less fun.

• @Nekki said:
    Transcoding doesn't really seem to eat much RAM from my experience, I've had excellent performance under 512MB with use of 4 cores, whereas 2GB and 2 cores is significantly less fun.

Good to know, thanks for the info.

• GunterGunter Member

It's funny because we have lots of people using their memory at peak and get upgraded to 12GB or 18GB plans.

So basically I won't be able to utilize the full 6GB without swapping because everyone is at peak, correct?

• @darknyan said:
    So basically I won't be able to utilize the full 6GB without swapping because everyone is at peak, correct?

Is that what I said? lol

• GunterGunter Member
    edited May 2014

serverian said: Is that what I said? lol

Well you're kind of implying that your service is heavily oversold. I'm a little confused what you meant.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

darknyan said: Well you're kind of implying that your service is heavily oversold. I'm a little confused what you meant.

Literally no clue how you managed to get that from his comment.

• PwnerPwner Member
    edited May 2014

@darknyan said:
    Well you're kind of implying that your service is heavily oversold. I'm a little confused what you meant.

That's not what he was implying at all. He was implying that there are many customers that use up all of the given RAM on their plan. They then require to upgrade to a more powerful plan to run their services since the current plan they are at isn't enough. It has nothing to do with overselling, it has to do with feeding more resources into the service.

Thanked by 1serverian
  • DylanDylan Member
    edited May 2014

@darknyan said:

I'm sure VPSDime is oversold, but that doesn't automatically equate to "you can't use the resources you're paying for." Almost everyone oversells -- that's what makes most of the offers you see on LEB/T possible -- but the difference between lousy providers and great providers is how well they manage it. Done right, you'd never be able to tell.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

384GB Memory overzold? yep