Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why do people care so much for SSD? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Why do people care so much for SSD?

2»

Comments

• GaNiGaNi Member
    edited April 2014

• smansman Member
    edited April 2014

I'll take 4x1TB HDD as SW RAID10 before I would use 2x240GB SSD as SW RAID1 for more money or even if it's the same price.

Lot's of good deals for Dedi's with HDD's now.

So thanks to all the sheeple for rushing to the new shiny object and making my dreams come true.

• We still use Sata raid 10 :) We don't need to join the leb pissing contest, I guess people seem to believe it's the new uber fast tech of the future also in reality it's not. Faster DD's for bragging rights, But logistically less space per server. So may feel like people are getting more for there money but not really.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

I'm getting a weird feeling reading this thread.

Are you people saying...you buy LEBs...for some reason...OTHER than running benchmarks!?!?

I thought LEBs were sold exclusively to allow people to run benchmarks on them!?!?

My mind is blown.

• raindog308 said: Are you people saying...you buy LEBs...for some reason...OTHER than running benchmarks!?!?

Well, sure. Some use them for downloading hentai.

• Yeah i have to go with the database reason. I run some databases and random io works really well in this case. Sure i can get more disk space on spinning disk and hosts wil give me more space and the lsist goes on but the random io really saves the day if there are othercustomers that are using disk only one persons ioperstions can go one then it has to seek again.

• DBADBA Member

Systems running large numbers of virtual machines benefit from the increased IOPS of a SSD. A stock 7200rpm HD gets about 75-100 IOPS which bottlenecks fairly quickly compared to a similar class of SSD getting 10k+ IOPS.

• LeeLee Veteran

said: I'm curious as to why people care so much for pure SSD hosts?

Is it that people care about SSD or is it simply that it's become the norm. I remember not so long ago people were saying it would take many years before SSD was a viable replacement for conventional drives.

But here we are, DO, Vultr, Wable, Linode and all the others are using SSD.

• MicrolinuxMicrolinux Member
    edited April 2014

MonsteR said: We still use Sata raid 10 :) We don't need to join the leb pissing contest, I guess people seem to believe it's the new uber fast tech of the future also in reality it's not. Faster DD's for bragging rights,

Random I/O is where SSDs leave spinning disks in the dust. DD is largely worthless as a lone metric. Fast random I/O has plenty of use cases, sequential I/O, not so much.

That being said, it's still boils down to what a person needs, more space or more speed.

• smansman Member
    edited April 2014

@DBA said:
    Systems running large numbers of virtual machines benefit from the increased IOPS of a SSD. A stock 7200rpm HD gets about 75-100 IOPS which bottlenecks fairly quickly compared to a similar class of SSD getting 10k+ IOPS.

Everyone running VM's are using RAID or should be so it's not as straight forward as that.

• PwnerPwner Member

@Rallias said:
    Granted, with VPS's, most people don't know the difference between SSD and Spin Disk. I could easily sell Spin Disk's as SSD's and fool almost the whole forum. I wouldn't, because that'd be dishonest and fraud, but SSD sells.

Not only is it dishonest/fraud, it's extremely stupid as well. Once the kiddies come along and start running their beloved benchmarks and DD's, you'll be in deep trouble. If there's one thing those kiddies can do, it's differentiate between SSD and HDD, and we all know there won't be a happy ending to such a scenario.

• lowend VPS is ment for tests :) higher results + lower price = "better" deal

• nunimnunim Member

@trexos said:
    I don't use SSDs in my computer and for me there is no reason to use them in my VPS. I don't have huge databases or something like that. In fact, I always ask my provider if they have HDD offers instead of a SSD offer, because I hope to gain a few gigs :P

You really should, putting my OS on an SSD was the BEST upgrade I've done to a PC. It's less important for a VPS, but if you're doing anything that's IO intensive it helps quite a bit, such as an intensive database driven application.

• Well, I've learned some new stuff I guess!