Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why do people care so much for SSD?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Why do people care so much for SSD?

I'm curious as to why people care so much for pure SSD hosts?

Most people housing sites, small game servers, etc.. are impacted by I/O speeds by a small amount - if any.

Enterprise HDD's have the same level of reliability as a SSD afaik, not to mention HDDs are cheaper.

So yeah, the real question is what makes people so excited about SSD, and why do they care for it so much?

Comments

• NekkiNekki Veteran

If I had to guess, it's because people feel like something that goes whizzy fast is better value for money or something.

• emreemre Member, LIR

It's a pissing contest. the average leb user wants to piss further and further even this means nothing as an achieved goal..

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@emre said:
    It's a pissing contest. the average leb user wants to piss further and further even this means nothing as an achieved goal..

You're just saying that because I can piss further than you.

• emreemre Member, LIR

with 8x2 TB enterprise SATA 2 and Software raid I can do much better than a single little ssd.

• VirtovoVirtovo Member
    edited April 2014

Because a single DD test completely encapsulates all real world uses for a VPS?

Realistically though if you don't need the space, why not be on SSDs?

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited April 2014

said: not to mention HDDs are cheaper.

This doesn't neccessarily translate into any "cheaper" for the customer. Sure with SSDs you may get less disk space than on an HDD plan, for example we can have an SSD plan with 20GB disk, and HDD plan with 50GB disk, both cost around the same. But if your small website or game server doesn't need more, why not get the former one, where I/O is much faster and where you're less likely to be affected by your neighbours' I/O usage.

That said, I don't see anyone being particularly "excited" by SSDs. Maybe some providers trying to hype their offers by presenting SSD as the ultimate solution to everything. Realistically, it's just another thing technology gave us, that we might as well use to our advantage. Like electricity or running water, no one is excited about those [anymore]. :)

• Why are people excited by bigger boobs?

Thanked by 1retry
  • rm_ said: Realistically, it's just another thing technology gave us, that we might as well use to our advantage.

I don't see any real advantages to it besides it being twice as expensive (if not more) on a enterprise level.

0xdragon said: Why are people excited by bigger boobs?

Because there's more to love?

• Precisely, my friend. Precisely.

Thanked by 1daxterfellowes
  • iceTwyiceTwy Member
    edited April 2014

As @rm_ pointed out, it's great to have a fast SSD if you don't need to have lots of space - in this case, a game server would profit from the speed boost.

All around though, the only use for which I think server SSD really shine is databases. There's a real difference between HDD and SSD when it comes to databases (if the latter are properly taken care of in the first place, ofc), so SSD are beneficial when you have to deal with those.

As for LEB/LET? Unless you're a developer, then as a LET/LEB member, you're trying to piss farther than other people. Mostly that. :P

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@0xdragon said:
    Why are people excited by bigger boobs?

I could give you at least 2 reasons, but I don't want to bring this conversation into the gutter :-0

• @Nekki said:
    I could give you at least 2 reasons, but I don't want to bring this conversation into the gutter :-0

Well, if not the gutter, how about the Cest Pit? ^.^

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

It's because people assume lots of neighbors on an ssd machine which pure ssd systems can generally handle more effectively.

• iceTwy said: the only use for which I think server SSD really shine is databases.

How so?

• I don't use SSDs in my computer and for me there is no reason to use them in my VPS. I don't have huge databases or something like that. In fact, I always ask my provider if they have HDD offers instead of a SSD offer, because I hope to gain a few gigs :P

• Why do people prefer SSD's?

Why don't you ask Facebook, Cloudflare, and probably more companies than I remember off the top of my head.

The reason people like them is because they PERFORM. A good spin disk can hit upwards of about 150 MB/s, and 4.2 ms average seek. A bad SSD could hit that 150 MB/s easily, but with a 0.1 ms average seek. I mean bad SSD like a USB 3.0 flash drive.

Yeah, people don't NEED the performance. I don't NEED Wendey's french fries to satisfy my cravings. I can easily satisfy myself with McDonald's. Or I could go without, because I know you're about to pop a fat joke. But the Wedney's fries are about the same price as McDonald's. So why would I go with McDonald's?

Thanked by 1DarioX
  • Let's see as hoster. Ok, i'll take 3Tb HDD and make 5000+ 512Mb account for small sites. Profit.

Let's see as user. Ok, hoster gice us 512Mb space on 3Tb HDD. Damn, he really wants to put 5000+ accounts on it? Ooh... another hoster gives 512Mb on 128gb SSD so the maximum amount of accs is 250. I'll take it!

And if say serious i take SSDs for I/O. Many times i saw situations when nodes (with 5000 accounts or not - i don't know) worked very slow even when i edit and save articles in CMS! Of course the overall site performance was poor too. So, first of all SSD gives us a chance to passthrough I/O bottleneck.

• ahmiqahmiq Member

The hosts oversell the server.. And when they do the I/O drops alot. My simple wordpress site got so slow. As I/O dropped MYSQL performance degraged and wait tigmes also increased. With SSD such porblem never occured.

• @iceTwy said:
    As for LEB/LET? Unless you're a developer, then as a LET/LEB member, you're trying to piss farther than other people. Mostly that. :P

• It's not necessarily the outright speed of SSDs that is useful, but the consistency.

• generally better at random access and faster seek times, not so different when it comes to reading large files on contiguous blocks.

a nice + of SSD is the avoidance of fragmentation, particularly for databases that don't have contiguous inserts on the primary key.

• depends on where you will use.

• SSD = SOLID STATE drive, because there's not enough solid states in America, SSD will DRIVE states to become more solid. Thus, bringing a more stable economy to the state.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@GIANT_CRAB said:
    SSD = SOLID STATE drive, because there's not enough solid states in America, SSD will DRIVE states to become more solid. Thus, bringing a more stable economy to the state.

Enlightening, thanks!

• Rallias said: Why don't you ask Facebook, Cloudflare, and probably more companies than I remember off the top of my head.

True, but they can optimize to a level where an SSD actually becomes relevant. The company I work for is now deploying SSDs to host our (very busy) MySQL servers which are heavily I/O bound. So, that's a scenario where it actually makes sense to use SSDs. Not that we're as big as Facebook (far, far from it), but in out setup it makes sense.

The database for my personal blog has definitely no need to be on an SSD as it's just micro-optimization and isn't even fruitful.

• SSD-Solid State Drive. The world "solid" is more attractive and stronger :)

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

click4easy said: SSD-Solid State Drive. The world "solid" is more attractive and stronger :)

Actually, "Liquid State Drive" sounds pretty cool.

Thanked by 2Nekki Pwner
  • mpkossen said: The database for my personal blog has definitely no need to be on an SSD as it's just micro-optimization and isn't even fruitful.

Absolutely true. You may not be the target of SSD VPS's then.

Like I said, it's like choosing between Wendies french fries and McDonald's french fries. They're both french fries, they're both priced roughly equivalently, but I like Wendies fries better, so I go with Wendies.

Granted, with VPS's, most people don't know the difference between SSD and Spin Disk. I could easily sell Spin Disk's as SSD's and fool almost the whole forum. I wouldn't, because that'd be dishonest and fraud, but SSD sells.

• gracagraca Member

I think its because of too much advertising by vps.provider, so that people are start comparing one to another. ipv6 probably the same thing. ssd & ipv6 is the most common question.

In addition the standard benchmark also comparing how fast write/read speed. which is good to get fast number, but not everyone actually needed.

• rm_ said: you're less likely to be affected by your neighbours' I/O usage.

That's the primary reason for me - Less chance of some idiot running a seedbox causing crap for everyone else on the node. This in turn means that it'll theoretically be more reliable in terms of performance.