Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Vultr Terminated my Account. Does this seem reasonable to anyone?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Vultr Terminated my Account. Does this seem reasonable to anyone?

Hey everyone, I just woke up to find a few emails from clients saying their sites as well as mine were down, as well as 2 emails from vultr saying my account has been immediately terminated.

Now I'm not going to say I didn't commit such activities, but the actions taken by vultr are extreme in my opinion.

Essentially I have 5-6 servers with them, 2 of which I was using as a small private seedbox to grab a few select shows from a well known private tracker. The rest I used for legitimate business purposes.

Now the email I have received claims my account was terminated for "REPEATED TORRENT ACTIVITIES" they link their tos etc, and I cannot see anything relating to tormenting directly, and certainly don't think its fair to delete all of my servers, and my account with approx $70 credit without warning, I would have happily removed said servers if there was a problem and warning given.

Also makes me wonder how they knew of such files, they haven't forwarded any DMCA notice or similar with it, and as I said above it was using a private tracker.

Anyone have any thoughts? I've sent them an email, but I'm not expecting any good outcomes, just using this as a warning for everyone!

Comments

• Chargeback and move on to a new host.

• BK_BK_ Member
    edited April 2014

Internet said: Chargeback and move on to a new host.

Err, I wouldn't jump to that conclusion.

@DaveA

• Dont put your torrenting box and business box under the same account / provider

• so Vultr @DaveA is snooping inside peoples vps's now ?

• The vultr tos links to their acceptable use policy
    https://www.vultr.com/legal/use_policy.php
    see section:
    I. Download any file posted by another user of a Service that you know, or reasonably should know, cannot be legally distributed in such manner.

Seems rather clear to me- 'well known private tracker" well perhaps its well known to them as well.

Whats fair? a "shame on you" a null routing? a take down of one server?

Quite frankly I doubt any of those would stop you. So they chose to enforce their TOS and AUP.

• darkshiredarkshire Member
    edited April 2014

@Just_A_Noob said:
    The vultr tos links to their acceptable use policy
    https://www.vultr.com/legal/use_policy.php
    see section:
    I. Download any file posted by another user of a Service that you know, or reasonably should know, cannot be legally distributed in such manner.

Seems rather clear to me- 'well known private tracker" well perhaps its well known to them as well.

Whats fair? a "shame on you" a null routing? a take down of one server?

Quite frankly I doubt any of those would stop you. So they chose to enforce their TOS and AUP.

close the account down and run off with $70 in credit, plus possibly deleting unreproducible data from him buisness vps's ???? cmon man.

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • The credit was probably from their doubling offer, Plus we don't know how hard he hammered his server with torrents

• Well this is kinda fucked up, it seems they had to be closely snooping on your activity

• thats true, we will need to await response from DaveA for the other side of the story.

• @texteditor said:
    Well this is kinda fucked up, it seems they had to be closely snooping on your activity

dave's new nick is "DaveNSA" lololol

Thanked by 2linuxthefish tux
  • OpZeOpZe Member

There is probably more to it, but they haven't filled me in, what I've posted is what happened as far as I know.

But I still think it would have been more appropriate to contact me first referencing their AUP, and I would have happily removed the servers if this was going to be the outcome.

Would also help if their AUP was a little less cryptic, but not going to doubt it was my defiantly ignorance that caused it.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

So you...

1. Didn't ask how they would respond to you using them as a seed box and...

2. Placed production content next to it.

Sounds like you like to roll the dice with your content son.

• to be fair, if well-known private tracker == IPT/TTing/TD/ST, those four are practically public trackers with copyright trolls everywhere

• OpZeOpZe Member
    edited April 2014

@texteditor said:
    to be fair, if well-known private tracker == IPT/TTing/TD/ST, those four are practically public trackers with copyright trolls everywhere

It was BTN, if that makes any difference for you.

Also in their claimed infringement notice they haven't mentioned any specific episode/file, just the shows name.

And yep, I've learnt the hard way regarding having seendboxes on the same account. I only moved my business services over the other day too :/ Luckily I still had atleast 12 servers worth left to move and deploy.

• yeah they definitely didnt get a dmca for BTN, they had to be snooping. BTN is relatively tiny

Thanked by 10xdragon
    edited April 2014

Yeah a good host has no idea what's going on within their network. Better to let people trash your IPs and cause you endless harm for $10 than to be proactive. Bastards.

Torrents are easily spotted on a graph if you're not new to the game.

• "But I still think it would have been more appropriate to contact me first referencing their AUP, and I would have happily removed the servers if this was going to be the outcome."

what did you expect the outcome to be when everyone knows that taking something you don't have rights to is to be polite, inappropriate?

• OpZeOpZe Member

@Just_A_Noob said:
    "But I still think it would have been more appropriate to contact me first referencing their AUP, and I would have happily removed the servers if this was going to be the outcome."

what did you expect the outcome to be when everyone knows that taking something you don't have rights to is to be polite, inappropriate?

I agree with you, but in my view deleting unrelated servers, and potentially destroying someones lively hood and taking $70 for the pleasure seems extreme to me.

I'm re deploying most of my websites from backups now as we speak, so it's not a total loss, just a real pain :(

Thanked by 20xdragon Maounique
  • @DaveA vultr.com putting the g in gestapo

• @OpZe said:
    I'm re deploying most of my websites from backups now as we speak, so it's not a total loss, just a real pain :(

I'm really interested to see Vultr's response to this as I seed Linux ISOs.

• just go with ovh if you are doing any torrenting... :E

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • Yeah a good host has no idea what's going on within their network. Better to let people trash your IPs and cause you endless harm for $10 than to be proactive. Bastards.

He said the TOS never said anything for/against torrents

• ndelaespadandelaespada Member, Host Rep

good thing you had backups

• @texteditor read the tos and the other documents it references.

• darkshiredarkshire Member
    edited April 2014

@jarland said:
    Yeah a good host has no idea what's going on within their network. Better to let people trash your IPs and cause you endless harm for $10 than to be proactive. Bastards.

dude, in all seriousness how would DaveA know wether or not the torrents being seeded were "warez" and not linux ISO's ?
    unless there was a DMCA in the picture somewhere; vultur was clearly snooping inside his container.
    the aup mentions nothing about torrenting, "warez" or otherwise so....

• DroidzoneDroidzone Member
    edited April 2014

darkshire said: dude, in all seriousness how would DaveA know wether or not the torrents being seeded were "warez" and not linux ISO's

They probably dont. They (probably) detected activity on the node that indicated consistent high bandwidth use, and probably ran a search for known torrent clients and detected yours.

He should have gone with Online.net's $10 dedi.

• princeshokoprinceshoko Member
    edited April 2014

I agree, do a charge back on them thru your bank. If you paid with paypal do it thru your bank anyway as paypal are crooks.

I support Piracy myself. But if they received a DMCA they are required to send it to you. NO DMCA then no proof you did anything wrong. Even most DMCA are total BS and wont stand up. If they snooped on your box without warning you via a DMCA Notice that is a violation of the same DMCA- Privacy Act.

Had they sent you a DMCA copy id say warning 1st, remove the offending servers 2nd. Closing a whole account is un cool. But they have the right to do that ONLY if they refund you the unused time of all service and any credits IMO.

So. NO it is NOT reasonable

Torrents are NOT illegal. Even Revision3 got shut down by their host because they were putting their own content up on Torrent and they received a DMCA even thoe they owned and produced the content them selves. The whole planet has gone to hell with the BS since Napster. Everyone has lost their damn minds.

No shortage of drama here still I see.

Anyone say it's a "slap in the face" yet?

• oh my god- refund the credits too? Are you serious?

That would mean deposit $100 get $100 credit. Violate decent and appropriate behavior- let alone the law and oh gimmie the 100 credit back along with my 100?

how absurd.

• Skids be skids