Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How many still use old computers? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How many still use old computers?

2»

Comments

• I still got my old pc here, don't use it anymore, but it has the following

Pentium 4 3.0 Ghz
    1GB Ram
    512MB Video card
    160GB IDE HDD

• Mon5t3rMon5t3r Member
    edited May 2012

Pentium 4 Prescott 3GHz
    Asus P4P800 SE
    Corsair DDR 1GB
    Unknown 256MB VGA
    Seagate Barracuda 80GB IDE
    OS WinXP, Vyatta.

Pentium 4 506 (Prescott LGA775 2.66GHz)
    Abit LG81
    Apacer DDR2 1GB
    Unknown 256MB VGA
    WDC 80GB SATA
    OS Debian 5, Slackware 11, WinXP

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

I have a P3 450mhz Dell Gx1. They used in the CNC but now we got a Core i3 there, so we used that for backups.

I used to had a Kaypro 2000 (less than 100kb of ram, no hd, floppy, b&w), but leave it on an aunt house in Wisconsin, and then she died and a friend of her take all her belongings, including mine :(

Thanked by 1TheHackBox
  • JeffreyJeffrey Member
    edited May 2012

I have an old Compaq S5300NX 1GB DDR Ram, Intel P4 @ 2.40Ghz, 120GB HDD, Nvidia 5200FX 256MB PCI graphic card. Going to set it up as a home server soon.

• I am in the middle of setting up my old AMD Athlon XP desktop as a home server/firewall/test box. It has an AMD Athlon XP 2600+ @ 2GHZ, 768MB of RAM and a 120GB IDE HDD.

• I've got a number of old systems lying around. I don't always actively use them, but they do get used now and then when they're needed. I've got a Dell with a 3GHZ Pentium 4, 1GB RAM and an 80GB HDD (probably IDE but I don't recall), GPU is a Radeon HD X1300.

I also have an old Macbook Pro with a Core 2 Duo 2.33GHZ, 2GB RAM and a 160GB internal, GPU is a Radeon HD X1600 - I used it for four years as my primary system and it holds a place in my heart, despite issues it's had.

Lastly, I've got a 1994 Power Macintosh 6100/60, which works great and is awesome - it even uses the Internet via a port converter I got on eBay. I think it's 256MB internal, ~75MB RAM, and a PowerPC processor.

• cedriccedric Member
    edited May 2012

As an Apple user and avid fan, I must stay up to date with the latest Apple trends. RIP Steve.

Thanked by 1djvdorp
  • KairusKairus Member

I think my oldest system is a laptop running a Core 2 Extreme X9000, my other machines are an i7 (first gen) and an i5 (second gen). I couldn't imagine using a P4 or something that old...

• Heh... I still have these two ~400MHz (I think) Pentium 3(?) pc's... one has like 64MB ram the other has 128MB. One's been sitting there for ages and the other was a fileserver for a while. Then of course there's the Dell tower I've got, no clue what it's spec's are (slightly better :P). All of those were free though, so I ain't gonna complain :) I primarily use the $1500 laptop I bought back in November though. :P

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

@TheHackBox said: AMD Athlon XP 2600+

When I have some spending money I really want to find an Athlon XP Barton + mobo to build a PC with. I swear my old 2500+ felt like the fastest PC I've ever owned.

Thanked by 1Mon5t3r
  • Mon5t3rMon5t3r Member
    edited May 2012

@KuJoe said: When I have some spending money I really want to find an Athlon XP Barton + mobo to build a PC with. I swear my old 2500+ felt like the fastest PC I've ever owned.

+1 Barton 2500+ running @ 3200+ and Abit NF-7 was my favorite PC. also with Kingston HyperX 2-2-2-5 Latency.. :P

• taiprestaipres Member
    edited May 2012

This is true pony powered. Not my rig though, pink computers not my thing :P my computers built from 99% of newegg parts and it is quite old now. I'm due for an upgrade sometime this year, maybe then I can stop using PATA drives haha ;D

• I have an old ThinkPad G41 with 512mb-1gb RAM (depending on how much it wants to recognize) that is used as a backup laptop. It runs xubuntu 12.04. It runs so much better with xubuntu and Chromium than it did with Windows XP and IE or FireFox.

• An old dual Celeron 533mhz (with the legendary Abit BP6 mainboard) and 512mb of RAM. 30 gb hd.

Runs fine with Debian 6 and XFCE, been thinking in upgrading to Debian testing.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

I really should see if either of these boxes still power on...

The bottom is a TRS-80 Level III (48K of RAM, 2.03Mhz Zilog CPU), circa 1980.

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

@raindog308 said: The bottom is a TRS-80 Level III (48K of RAM, 2.03Mhz Zilog CPU), circa 1980.

This was one of the first computer I wrote programs for! :-)

In the afternoon, after school, I worked for some of the first computer shops in Messina (Sicily) doing some custom programs... At the time my personal computer was a ZX80 with 1K of ram... I was 16 :-D

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • IntcsIntcs Member
    edited May 2012

I have a working PIII that I never used since almost 5 years.

Those old PCs works :D but I keep careful when using them, PSU!! If PSU fan stopped working, unlike other parts it might cause a fire, especially if it's an old/bad type PSU with no safety measures. I'd firstly change it if it was as old as my PIII if I'm to use that PC now.

• KuroKuro Member

I'm using a 667MHz Pentium III with 128MB RAM running Debian 6 as my home router :)

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@Kuro said: I'm using a 667MHz Pentium III with 128MB RAM running Debian 6 as my home router :)

For what you pay in electricity, you could probably buy a Linksys router, slap Tomato (or DD-WRT I suppose) on it, and come out ahead cost-wise in a few months' time, probably...

Thanked by 1Aldryic
  • IntcsIntcs Member
    edited May 2012

@raindog308 said: For what you pay in electricity, you could probably buy a Linksys router, slap Tomato (or DD-WRT I suppose) on it, and come out ahead cost-wise in a few months' time, probably...

Yeah now routers are dirt cheap, I guess doing it for some reason, but it's cool I guess to set a PC for a router.
    In a 24/7 use I'd check PSU (clean, quality). My relative had his P4 PSU almost burned a few months ago, and it turned to be it's fan stopped running so the whole unit was slowly getting hotter :)

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • sleddogsleddog Member
    edited May 2012

@raindog308 said: For what you pay in electricity, you could probably buy a Linksys router, slap Tomato (or DD-WRT I suppose) on it, and come out ahead cost-wise in a few months' time, probably...

A barebones P3 isn't very power hungry. For use as a router, just strip out everything except a CD drive and run m0n0wall.... Performance-wise it'll run rings around a linksys.

Thanked by 1Kuro
  • goufgouf Member

I've been known to use a K6 running openbsd as a firewall. I measured with an ammeter, it draws around 30 watts. (noisy though.. hard to justify the cost of a new fan :-/ )

If you re-purpose old hardware, check them with an ammeter to see how much power they use... some don't use as much as you might think. (measure the current, multiply by voltage to get the watts)

I've used an old macintrash (2001, OS X 10.1) to play music as recent as last year. I'd still be using it, but I left it behind.

Wish the netgear type boxes ran openbsd instead of linux, linux everywhere.. openbsd may have all the charm of a coiled up tapeworm, but, PF is quite good and easy to use.

These days, I'm trying to eliminate computers where I can. :-)