Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How many still use old computers?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How many still use old computers?

titanicsaledtitanicsaled Member
edited May 2012 in General

I am stuck with a 1.6ghz pentium 4, 384mb RAM, 20gb hdd old pc at the moment because my laptop CPU is fried.

How many of you still use old computers, and what do you use them for? (or have you dumped them by now :P )

Comments

• Ash_HawkridgeAsh_Hawkridge Member
    edited May 2012

Intel P4 2.8GHz 0.99GB RAM :)

Use them for work, they are still fast enough and i can have around 10 tabs open with VLC player streaming music and Photshop running with no issues at all.

• @VMPort said: they are still fast enough and

And you don't need a heater in the winter! :p

Thanked by 2tux netomx
  • InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep
    edited May 2012

Depends what you mean by old, the term is sort of subjective. I use my old athlon at my grandma's house with .5GB RAM.

• @quirkyquark said: And you don't need a heater in the winter! :p

Lmao, yeah. Loud as hell as well :P

• Got a C2D here, definitely not as old as the other stuff people posted though.

• I got a old laptop under my bed that has a Core 2 Solo, runs like a beast with linux mint.

• My old pc runs quite coolly, no case fans either (although I suppose its only 1.6gHz)

@Infinity

I meant anything older than dual core really.

• qhosterqhoster Member

Core2Duo 1.86GHz overclocked to 3.03GHz working like a beast with Windows XP. 2GB RAM and raid-1 ;)

• NateN34NateN34 Member

Still have a Pentium 4 @3 Ghz.

Thing is too slow and uses too much power though. I mean, my Atom dual core netbook even beats it now, in terms of raw CPU power.

• My desktop is P4 at 3.4 GHZ (with HT). It uses 108w of power :(

• sleddogsleddog Member

I have two P3-450's in active service. One is the office router (running m0n0wall) and the other runs my webcam. Both are perfect, no need for anything better/newer/faster :)

• @qhoster

I will be hopefully getting my hands on a core 2 duo soon, will be good if I can overclock it to 3gHz

• @sleddog

Don't they cost a fortune to run?

• sleddogsleddog Member

@titanicsaled said: Don't they cost a fortune to run?

I don't think so. They are very minimalistic. 180W power supply, very lowend passive-cooled video cards. The router doesn't have a HDD. The webcam box doesn't have a CD, and the HDD is spundown after boot.

• daviddavid Member

I used a p3 1ghz through 2007, but it's in the garage now. The oldest stuff still in use here are Athlon X2's. But my main system is an i7.

• edited May 2012

First gen Intel P4, 2.4Ghz, 640MB RAM, pair of 80GB ultraATA drives, a 120GB, and a 160GB. 8MB onboard video.

It's fine for basic office productivity, email, watching 480p tv shows DVD movies, stream netflix fullscreen, stream music from local fileserver or pandora, etc. It used to play AOE2, Quake 1 and 2, Half Life full screen perfectly fine. It's a bad ass box!

I still use it as my primary box.

• @rajprakash said: It's fine for basic office productivity, email, watching 480p tv shows DVD movies, stream netflix fullscreen, stream music from local fileserver or pandora, etc. It used to play AOE2, Quake 1 and 2, Half Life full screen perfectly fine. It's a bad ass box!

How are you playing Netflix? Linux Moonlight dosen't work with Netflix.

• WinXP

• jhjh Member

I've got an i3 which I consider to be 'high spec' for my use..

• DanielMDanielM Member

I actualy have quite an old machine aswell as my laptops but its by no means slow.

Intel P4 3.7Ghz, 4GB RAM, 250GB SATA, Windows XP MC

• @jtodd said: I've got an i3 which I consider to be 'high spec' for my use..

I was going to say, the i3 cant be considered old in any circumstances.

• beardbeard Member
    edited May 2012

IBM Thinkpad x41 Pentium-M 1.6Ghz
    12" screen / 2gb RAM / 40gb disk drive
    2.2lbs and has a keyboard light built in to the top of the screen
    Got it off lease from eBay about 3 years ago, paid $75 for it

This is my primary "work" laptop that is hooked up to a spare monitor, 2.1 surround system and 5 port USB hub so "laptop" is used loosely. I prefer to call it an always on dust collector

• yomeroyomero Member

@sleddog said: I don't think so. They are very minimalistic. 180W power supply, very lowend passive-cooled video cards.

Yep, P3 are low consumption guys.

• JacobJacob Member
    edited May 2012

Currently Using: P4 2.6Ghz, 2 x 80GB IDE, 1.5GB Available RAM, Gigabyte motherboard(few months old), The computer its self is fast as hell for a Pentium 4 but is terrible for gaming. :(

i5 750 on my desk, In my sweet Griffin Yellow Gaming case.. I just am waiting on my Corsair 750W PSU and a Graphics card.

• efballefball Member

My router/server/firewall is a 700MHz Athlon with 768MB of RAM.
    I have an old Toshiba laptop: 300MHz / 64MB that I keep running for sport. It's fully updated with Debian 6 and runs xdm/fvwm (no trace of anything gnome, gconf, kde).

• DerekDerek Member
    edited May 2012

My oldest computer runs freebsd .
    233Mhz, 32MB of ram and 2100mb hard drive.
    Still runs to this day, good, strong and dependable. Found it in a pile of garbage a few year back :P.

• dmmcintyre3dmmcintyre3 Member
    edited May 2012

@Derek said: 32GB of ram and 2100mb hard drive.

Where do you store the ramdisk when you shut it down?

• JacobJacob Member

@Derek 32GB RAM? :-)

• DerekDerek Member

@dmmcintyre3 said: Nowhere to store the ramdisk when you shut it down?

err, should be MB

• ChronicChronic Member

The oldest thing I've still got running is a ThinkPad R52 laptop. It's also had a memory upgrade (512 -> 1024) so it's not that bad.